What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
British Red

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by British Red »

Totally agree on Cellar 7 - good value at around £1 a bottle and always reliable. Interesting on the Ribena. I've never tried it but wine from our blackcurrants was gorgeous!
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

My prep for future fuel security involved getting someone out to see about a wood burning stove. I am happy to find out that we can have one fitted. Will be more expensive not only coz of rising prices but I need a flu built internally up 3 stories but I knew that would add a lot to the cost. However - it is worth it for knowing that we now have an alternative source of heat that doesn't rely of gas or leccy. :D While it will mess up the lay out of the upstairs bedroom having a flue sticking out of the wall, it's a price I am willing to pay! My daughter has moved out now anyways so she doesn't use her room now 'cept when she comes home for a weekend to visit. Won't be done till June as they are really busy right now with lots of folk all wanting the same thing - can't think why!!!!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
British Red

Post by British Red »

Good for you. A sustainable source of heat is vital in my opinion following only water and food. We have never regretted putting in a stove with cooking capabilities. If you would like some links, just say
jansman

Post by jansman »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:21 pm My prep for future fuel security involved getting someone out to see about a wood burning stove. I am happy to find out that we can have one fitted. Will be more expensive not only coz of rising prices but I need a flu built internally up 3 stories but I knew that would add a lot to the cost. However - it is worth it for knowing that we now have an alternative source of heat that doesn't rely of gas or leccy. :D While it will mess up the lay out of the upstairs bedroom having a flue sticking out of the wall, it's a price I am willing to pay! My daughter has moved out now anyways so she doesn't use her room now 'cept when she comes home for a weekend to visit. Won't be done till June as they are really busy right now with lots of folk all wanting the same thing - can't think why!!!!
It’s a great prep.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:34 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:54 pm Well next drama the flipping deep freeze is on the blink .. Looks like it's the thermostat on the blink. . . £40 lighter Vs £300 ish for a new freezer + loss of food it's full!

and a new one here tomorrow by post...

It's currently running fine having linked it out....

Always pays to have some random terminal connectors and wire in the shed.. it's currently running on a plug in timer half hour on an hour off seems to be working but not overly energy efficient :shock: :lol:

Glad I was like my little lad is and constantly followed my dad round watching asking why a lot :lol: as it didn't take long to diagnose it will be simple enough job to swap it 3 wires and the capillary tube remember my dad doing the fridge stat when I was little
INSPIRED! And bless you for fixing it and avoiding all that environmentally damaging waste.

Well the thermostat landed in about 12 hours from ordering to delivery :shock: DPD man turned up before 9am! Was about 10 to 9 last night when I hit order just before the next day cut off.... 8 quid next day delivery can't grumble for the service they do candy / hoover parts so £38 all in cheaper than a new freezer

https://www.4candy.co.uk/

Brief description of the task ...
Unplug from mains
Remove 2x screw caps
Remove 2x screws
Lift off the top of the freezer
Open freezer remove top draw. Pull and push the old thermocouple out through the insulation (mark the hole with a marker pen)
Unclip 3 wires mentally note where they go
Unclip Thermostat and get new one ready .. carefully bend the capillary tube being careful not to kink it
Push new capillary tube into insulation into freezer cavity locating it into the little tube it sits in..
Clip in new thermostat
Retrieve old thermostat from the bin and pull off the adjustment knob :oops: and fit to new stat
Push on wires
I resealed rte the capillary tube hole with a drop of pu gorilla glue
Tape capillary tube in place I am used duct tape
Refit lid
Plug in and switch on ..
Set thermostat
Attachments
IMG_20220311_173456_358.jpg
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm
Well the thermostat landed in about 12 hours from ordering to delivery :shock: DPD man turned up before 9am! Was about 10 to 9 last night when I hit order just before the next day cut off.... 8 quid next day delivery can't grumble for the service they do candy / hoover parts so £38 all in cheaper than a new freezer

Excellent firm - one of my previous clients. Good solid West Midlands organisation, still run by the family.

They have a website with a wider range

https://www.espares.co.uk/

All comes from Small Heath ( Peaky Blinders area)
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:15 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:34 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:54 pm Well next drama the flipping deep freeze is on the blink .. Looks like it's the thermostat on the blink. . . £40 lighter Vs £300 ish for a new freezer + loss of food it's full!

and a new one here tomorrow by post...

It's currently running fine having linked it out....

Always pays to have some random terminal connectors and wire in the shed.. it's currently running on a plug in timer half hour on an hour off seems to be working but not overly energy efficient :shock: :lol:

Glad I was like my little lad is and constantly followed my dad round watching asking why a lot :lol: as it didn't take long to diagnose it will be simple enough job to swap it 3 wires and the capillary tube remember my dad doing the fridge stat when I was little
INSPIRED! And bless you for fixing it and avoiding all that environmentally damaging waste.

Brief description of the task ...
Unplug from mains
Remove 2x screw caps
Remove 2x screws
Lift off the top of the freezer
Open freezer remove top draw. Pull and push the old thermocouple out through the insulation (mark the hole with a marker pen)
Unclip 3 wires mentally note where they go
Unclip Thermostat and get new one ready .. carefully bend the capillary tube being careful not to kink it
Push new capillary tube into insulation into freezer cavity locating it into the little tube it sits in..
Clip in new thermostat
Retrieve old thermostat from the bin and pull off the adjustment knob :oops: and fit to new stat
Push on wires
I resealed rte the capillary tube hole with a drop of pu gorilla glue
Tape capillary tube in place I am used duct tape
Refit lid
Plug in and switch on ..
Set thermostat
By the way - bloody impressive skills - count me impressed.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

British Red wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:27 pm

By the way - bloody impressive skills - count me impressed.
Cheers among past jobs electricians mate , telecoms firms electronics soldering / storeman, maintenance fitter , along with DIY car mechanic gardener / allotment holder I can turn my hand to most tools and tasks .. uncle and FIL are both electricians if I get stuck :lol: diy it's a surefire way to save a few quid.. sisters oven element went a few years back just before Christmas guy about 10 doors down has a van decked out in vinyl signs appliance ring **** ******** for repairs she rung him he quoted about £200!!

Genuine OEM Kenwood element was £25 posted .. about 8 screws and 10 minutes and it was cooled pulled out new one fitted and put back . Following a quick insulation test with my megga insulation tester . know people have overheads but £175 is one hell of a markup (before thinking he can probably get parts cheaper on account) I
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
British Red

Post by British Red »

If you can do it yourself, do it. They are a genuine company. The dad known as " the chairman" started importing his own parts decades ago. Within a few years, he made more money selling parts on to other tradesmen ( it was washing machines then). The chairman moved abroad years ago but his two sons, Mark & Martin and their friend Andrew still run what is now a fairly large firm.

What I like is that they actively encourage consumers to repair their own appliances and even have a YouTube channel to show just how to do it.
British Red

Post by British Red »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:40 pm

Genuine OEM Kenwood element was £25 posted
Hang on ...OEM either you really know your stuff or are you trade in another field?