What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:08 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:58 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:28 pm
You peddling Torch-crack again Yorkshire ? ;)

But but it's super Bright so bright I nearly set fire to my trousers by shining it at them :oops: :lol:

https://www.trustfire.com/products/trus ... orch-light
I'd better not then....... I carry a torch in my trouser pocket and really don't want to incinerate my 'bits' :shock:

It's got a safety switch you can lock it off with 2 quick presses :lol:

Its a decent bit of kit eclipses any torch I've got and you know me :lol: the way the tech has come on in the past 15 /20 years or so is amazing from the humble 3x 5mm white led which we all thought was amazing to the modern chip sets ..... Well 8-)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Solar panels.

I’ve been toying with getting them for a while now but I think I will make serious enquiries in the next bit. I’m in your typical Wimpy semi detached but we get a lot of sun as the back garden is south facing.

I’m in Edinburgh, can anyone recommend someone up here please?
Iceprep

Post by Iceprep »

Kiwififer wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:35 am Solar panels.

I’ve been toying with getting them for a while now but I think I will make serious enquiries in the next bit. I’m in your typical Wimpy semi detached but we get a lot of sun as the back garden is south facing.

I’m in Edinburgh, can anyone recommend someone up here please?
We have had solar (installed under the green deal) for about 6 or 7 years. We have a 2.4KW setup which during the summer is enough to power the washer and dishwasher and a few smaller items without the need to draw on the grid.

We have had to have the inverted replaced as it developed a fault (covered by the insurance plan as part of the green deal) but the prior model had work, this one doesn’t so we can’t monitor the production.

We haven’t seen any reduction in bills but neither have we seen an increase - which is important now with increasing bills.

We no longer have a gas cooker instead it’s all electric.

- onto prepping

I was hoping to have got to my warehouse store this week for essential prep items - water, heating stuff (we have a multi stove burner) but alas we got a last minute appointment for our son for an overnight stay in hospital so we had to keep off school to isolate after he had a covid test, but the appointment was cancelled and instead now on Friday, so again he needs another covid test (even though he has been isolated and we haven’t left the house) so all shopping is on hold.

Really need to order more kiln dried wood, kindling and fire lighters and smokeless coke.
Water bottles, rice, dried beans and pulses, dried mushrooms, vitamin supplements etc

I was talking to my wife about how to prepare for air burst nuke, she doesn’t think it will come to that but each day things move a level.

Does anyone prep Potassium Iodine? Do you think it’s worth it? Thinking more about another Chernobyl than a nuke explosion.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well next drama the flipping deep freeze is on the blink .. found it part thawed out a few weeks ago though the kids had been at it and not shut the door I've been religious in checking it tonight after work it was on the thaw again .. door was shut.... Looks like it's the thermostat on the blink. . . £40 lighter Vs £300 ish for a new freezer + loss of food it's full!

and a new one here tomorrow by post...

It's currently running fine having linked it out....

Always pays to have some random terminal connectors and wire in the shed.. it's currently running on a plug in timer half hour on an hour off seems to be working but not overly energy efficient :shock: :lol:

Glad I was like my little lad is and constantly followed my dad round watching asking why a lot :lol: as it didn't take long to diagnose it will be simple enough job to swap it 3 wires and the capillary tube remember my dad doing the fridge stat when I was little
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Trappa

Post by Trappa »

I bought a slab of cartridges yesterday (for sporting purposes obv), the pack of 2 army style tin openers came yesterday, and I’m planning on making some homemade firefighters again today so we can start to build up numbers.
Every little helps
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Sorted my weird little torch that has an insert to hold 3 x AAA batteries - really easy to insert them, no stress at all on the plastic holder, and a lovely bright light. Now in my little tin box of fully charged batteries, all padded, with the torch unscrewed but held together by the strap, ready to go if needs must.

I have another 1 x AA torch at my bedside.

Final few batteries are charging.

Learned what the signals mean on my new Duracell battery charger.

I need little jobs for the next week that aren't stressful, so I might well learn to use the solar charger - doesn't matter if it doesn't work *now*, it's just about understanding the system.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

Just topped up my whisky collection. Again…… otherwise just standard topping up. Status quo
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

Haven't done much prepping this week. Off to look for a new washing machine tomorrow as after 10 years mine is not healthy at all
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong