Which disinfectant?

How are you preparing
janso

Which disinfectant?

Post by janso »

jansman wrote:The value bleach is good. I use it for my home brewing kit. Works a treat.
Well that's it then; if it works for homebrew it gets my vote!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!
Society has gotten to the point where everybody has a right but nobody has a responsibility
xPositor

Re: Which disinfectant?

Post by xPositor »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:Note: bleach's efficacy reduces rapidly if exposed to hot or cold temperatures. *Normal* lifespan under optimal storage conditions is only 9-12 months...so bottles of bleach are not a buy and forget item. I write the date I purchased the bleach in marker pen on the outside of the bottles.
I would recommend that anything you keep that has a specific shelf life, you write the expiry date on the outside and not the purchase date - a lot easier and quicker to manage what you have and rotation of your stores that way.
Big Bear

Post by Big Bear »

Might be hard to get a hold of but Virkon is a good one. Kills all nasties
Do not rely on the government for anything, especially your survival
Jotnarjager

Post by Jotnarjager »

As others have suggested. Virkon. My wife is a vet and they use that sometimes for cleaning so one would presume thats the stuff to go for.

If its outside and you're wanting to nuke any nasties that have been standing around for a while (rotting matter, poo etc) I'd go for Jeyes fluid. Be careful though as it can be poisonous. Keep it away from any plants you're wanting to eat.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

We use a pet safe thing around the house for the most part, is everyone aware just how bad some of these things are for cats? Just a bit of food for thought for pet owners.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Jotnarjager

Post by Jotnarjager »

Just thought I'd add, not quite the same thing, but I'd cop hold of some iodine and TCP too for cleaning wounds.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

I use antibacterial spray for the work surfaces, I use multi purpose cleaner for the floor and I have a steam mop that gets used to remove any cleaning liquids left behind due to the mogsplosh so don't want bleach or floor cleaner residue for him to walk on then wash his feet!

Coke is great left in the loo overnight to remove limescale (the fizzy stuff, not the powder stuff!! :shock: ) half a lemon in the microwave removes smells, white vinegar is great for everything!
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I like caustic soda for those jobs that normal cleaners don't touch...

It does need care but works very well
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:I like caustic soda for those jobs that normal cleaners don't touch...

It does need care but works very well
That stuff is fabulous down the plug holes in the bathroom and soda crystals in the kitchen.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
sfcfinchrs

Post by sfcfinchrs »

Hi All,

I have read all of the suggestions here.

Sorry to say it, yet what is wrong with good old Carbolic Soap?

For About £30 you can get 80 large bars of it off fleabay.

You can use it for all of your disinfectant and washing needs. It was used to clean everything not a huge amount of time ago.

You know what? It works.
I don't do politics or religion. Seen to many people die because of these.

I post to contribute so take as you see fit. My way is not the only way.

Cheers