Which disinfectant?

How are you preparing
external

Which disinfectant?

Post by external »

Realised I have a hole in my quarantine preps.....disinfectant.

Question is which one? I am assuming hospital grade so something like Lysol or Versan. Before I buy some does anybody have any recommendations?

I plan to use it purely for sanitising objects from outside (bio suit strip down etc) should my family go into a self imposed quarantine.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Malthouse

Re: Which disinfectant?

Post by Malthouse »

Not quite what you are after, but I disinfect things with a food safe wipe called Premi-wipes. They are not a bad price, keep well and are useful for all sorts of jobs.
Blue407

Post by Blue407 »

I would have guessed thick bleach watered down in a garden sprayer, house plant sprayer, of similar would be suitable? Can anyone comment?
external

Post by external »

Blue407 wrote:I would have guessed thick bleach watered down in a garden sprayer, house plant sprayer, of similar would be suitable? Can anyone comment?
stocked up with plenty of thick bleach and I had thought of that, wasn't sure if that would be suitable or not really.

Got plenty of alchohol wipes for small items, thinking more along the lines of spraying a person down in their bio-suit etc.
Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail.
Blue407

Post by Blue407 »

Wilkinson's sell anti-bac wet wipes for 50p a pack :)
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

On the TV all the ebola prevention people seem to be spraying with ordinary looking backpack garden sprayers which are fairly forceful. Not sure a hand sprayer would provide enough force to penetrate any "clumps" of possible infected matter. And diluted bleach - I think thin bleach is better, as far as I know the % of sodium hypochlorite is the same in thick and thin bleach it's just that thick bleach has thickening agents so that it clings to the sides of toilets and drains better. Thick bleach isn't stronger, just thicker. In this situation you want the bleach well mixed in the diluted solution and thin bleach will mix better. You can also use the purer thin bleach to disinfect drinking water. Dual purpose!

Note: bleach's efficacy reduces rapidly if exposed to hot or cold temperatures. *Normal* lifespan under optimal storage conditions is only 9-12 months...so bottles of bleach are not a buy and forget item. I write the date I purchased the bleach in marker pen on the outside of the bottles. If you want buy and forget bleach then look at powdered pool shock (calcium hypochlorite) but get one that doesn't contain anti-algae stuff etc.

As for the percentage of bleach to water WHO says that dilutions 1:10-1:100 of 5.25% sodium hypochlorite household bleach soaked for at least 10 mins. The weaker solution to clean equipment, surfaces, bedding and presumably people at your door. If you have an actual spill of infected blood etc. then the stronger 1:10 for surfaces that con tolerate the stronger bleach solution, again soaking for 10 or more minutes: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2 ... g.pdf?ua=1 (this is best practices for all blood work including ebola) See also ebola specific from the Public Health Agency of Canada: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/lab-bio/res/ ... la-eng.php

But...if you're spraying people at the door, then they also need to remove their clothing...and it's *that* part that seems to cause the most likely source of cross-infection...personally I'd just not let them in!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Where I used to work we had special blood spill kits. These were great and made a potentially dangerous job much safer. You can buy them from Amazon quite cheaply.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
Devonian

Post by Devonian »

What is it you are wanting to disinfect?

Most germs and viruses etc are easily killed with bleach or any household disinfectant.

Jeyes fluid is always my favourite for outside areas and if its in the house, then bleach or Dettol or any other household disinfectant I good.

Poundland have bottles of Dettol spray and bottles of household disinfect in at the moment which are good value for, yes you know the price ;)
cumbrianish

Post by cumbrianish »

At an event on emergency planning recently we were told a dilution of 1:4 chlorine bleach was preferable for any cleaning by a professor of public health.
Forewarned is forearmed
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Virkon, kills Foot&Mouth, Parvo and just about any nasty that isn't a fungal spore.
http://www2.dupont.com/Virkon_S/en_GB/p ... asons.html
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar