Rabbit Burgers

Got a tasty recipe? Novel way to use ketchup? Put it in here..
metatron

Rabbit Burgers

Post by metatron »

So I know I've posted a few bread/roll recipes, I thought I should list one of my favorite things to put in them, rabbit. The one tool you will need is a mincer, but I've seen them for sale at Robert Dyas for £5 so there worth having.

To make 10 burgers, you will need the meat of 5 to 6 rabbits (depends on the size you shoot, but its free)
Pack of pork belly (Tesco everyday value pork belly slices are £2.80)
quarter white onion (finely chopped).

I tend to gut the rabbits in the field and hang them for a few days before using them, but fresh is fine and their easier to skin. Remove as much meat as you can and put in a bowl with the diced up pork belly and chopped up onion.

I like to use the medium plate for the ginder and pass the meat/onion mix though it twice, then add a little salt & pepper to the bowl and mix. Once you have the ground meat/onion/seasoned mix stick it in some clingfilm/plastic wrap and roll it into a sausage shape (the size you roll it should reflect the size of the bread rolls you've baked). Stick it in the fridge for a few hours.

When you pull it out the fridge after 3 or 4 hours you should be able to slice it cleanly with a sharp knife into burgers.

I like to grill them over wood, but grilling in the oven and frying all work well.
Moony

Re: Rabbit Burgers

Post by Moony »

Shame I didn't see this sooner, I've just taken my rabbit out of the oven. Nice, easy recipe thanks, I'll try it when I've get my mincer !
I'm in Area 7 !
mrboom

Post by mrboom »

Im a big fan of Rabbit Stew. Havn't had it in years. I do like rabbit. Maybe I might be lucky enough to get to try this recipe 1 day. Fingers crossed...
-----------
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill.
-----------
Mr Boom.
tigs

Post by tigs »

good recipe, i like to treat the back legs like chicken and and deep fry them in herbs and spices yummy
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

I have a question about cooking with rabbit if anybody could help???

I have only cooked with rabbit once and made a greek cassarole but I just couldn't get over the smell of the meat, does it always have such a funky smell? I know it wasn't off because I ate it and it didn't taste bad and I wasn't ill after eating it but I actually felt ill while trying to cook it which kind of put me off attempting to cook with it again.......

Anybody got any tips to help combat the smell?, apart from wearing a peg on my nose :lol: :lol: :lol:
tigs

Post by tigs »

to be honest never noticed a bad smell ! it has a game smell but not that strong no different to lamb really
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Is just how rabbit smells Erin. I don't like it but the husband does and my sons do.
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

ok I shall invest in a peg for my nose :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't mind the taste though :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I do it now in the slow cooker, and cover the lid with a folded tea towel. Add loads of veg :mrgreen:
Erinlouiser

Post by Erinlouiser »

:lol: :lol: thats exactly what I did with it last time lil :D