Water Butts

Finding it, filtering it, treating it all in here!
Rayman

Water Butts

Post by Rayman »

Wilkinsons and Argos are selling these pretty cheap.

How do you guys use them, I was thinking of keeping a couple in my back yard, filling them with tap water, then every 6 month empty them then refill with tap water again, is this the way to go guys?

Cheers.
preppingsu

Re: Water Butts

Post by preppingsu »

Connected to downpipes off the gutters to collect rain water. Cover the hole at the top to stop leaves and other crap entering the butt. Use to water the garden mostly, but with filtering etc could be used as washing water and as a last resort drinking (I have a lot of water stored elsewhere which is allocated drinking/cooking).
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Same here, 2 butts collecting the run off from the garage with a bit of mesh in the downpipe to keep the larger debris out. I use it for watering the garden in good times and plan on filtering it through my Berkey if things ever got to that stage
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I've got 6 connected to 2 downpipes in 2 sets of 3 that run in series. I also use them for the garden in good times, and my emergency stash in bad.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I cant remember on what forum I read it but I remember reading about someone who bought a couple to keep empty and stored indoors. His plan was to fill them with tap water in the event of an emergency so that he wouldn't have to go outside. That idea obviously relies on having prior notice of an event though.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Carrot Cruncher wrote:Same here, 2 butts collecting the run off from the garage with a bit of mesh in the downpipe to keep the larger debris out. I use it for watering the garden in good times and plan on filtering it through my Berkey if things ever got to that stage
I have a similar set up,so am holding 500 gallons of rainwater. If the butts have lids it keeps the water ean and free from 'green'!Its quite potable too,i have done a dummy run and drank it as tea and straight out of the barrel. No problem. Very good storage method for the low energy input I reckon
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Rayman

Post by Rayman »

Think i will get a water butt next week, keep it in the back yard, fill it with tap water and replace the tap water every 6 months, if the shtf, after i use up my water butt of tap water, i can then connect it to a down pipe, but until the shtf i will always have a supply of 100ltr of tap water on demand in 6 month intervals.
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

We are wanting to get a water butt system set up but we are also considering IBCs.
the-gnole

Post by the-gnole »

Rosesandtea wrote:We are wanting to get a water butt system set up but we are also considering IBCs.
The important thing with IBCs is to make sure 100% that they are food produce containers. Some of them have had chemicals in that won't be good for a water supply for drinking
Rosesandtea

Post by Rosesandtea »

the-gnole wrote:
Rosesandtea wrote:We are wanting to get a water butt system set up but we are also considering IBCs.
The important thing with IBCs is to make sure 100% that they are food produce containers. Some of them have had chemicals in that won't be good for a water supply for drinking
Good point, Gnole, thanks. I would rather get them used, but we were even thinking of possibly buying new. It's another thing we've put off due to finances, though. However I think we need to get at least some system in place by late spring.