Freezing

How are you preparing
The-Great-Nothing

Freezing

Post by The-Great-Nothing »

Hi

An impossible to answer question I'm sure, but...

Would water stored in a garage (which shares a wall with the house) be liable to freezing in a harsh winter such as this one predicted?

All my canned goods are in the same location. And the loss of these would be a real blow!

It is a 1980's ish garage - so well build brick but obv with no insulation. I was thinking of a frost protection greenhouse heater.....

Cheers

Matt
Red Doe

Re: Freezing

Post by Red Doe »

Another cheap solution is to flatten heavy duty cardboard boxes, straighten them out and put them on the wall behind your stack of goods. Cardboard is a good, cheap insulator and often more than enough to stop things freezing, I can tell you from experience. :)
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Red Doe wrote:Another cheap solution is to flatten heavy duty cardboard boxes, straighten them out and put them on the wall behind your stack of goods. Cardboard is a good, cheap insulator and often more than enough to stop things freezing, I can tell you from experience. :)
Could you line the floor with cardboard too? I know that from doing craft fairs - outside - in the dead of winter - a bit of cardboard underfoot makes a LOT of difference!
Red Doe

Post by Red Doe »

You certainly can. :) You could even go further if the floor's even, and lay down a space blanket, put cardboard on top, that gives extra insulation, but really the cardboard should be enough.
bloke

Post by bloke »

I store my water in the garage. It's not a problem if it freezes as long as you allow a few inches of space for the expansion.
Bladerunner

Post by Bladerunner »

If it has a metal up and over door (like most garages) then I would concentrate on that first as metal will lose you more heat than the walls.

A greenhouse heater would certainly help but it is all down to cost. You are probable storing stuff in the garage because of space and cenvenience but if it is at all possible, I would consider moving your stuff inside. If you went through your house you might be surprised at how much stuff you can store there. Think out side of the box. Do you have any doors with space behind them? I have a ton of bog roll stacked behing one of the bedroom doors. Do you have space under your bed? Does your bed have drawers in it? Any spare room in a wardrobe? Any space in a downstairs toilet?

Take 5 mins and walk round your house thinking outside of the box. I'm sure you can come up with something, I did and I surprised myself.

Be lucky (and cogitative)
damar2000

Post by damar2000 »

It will definatley freeze. I had 2 x 2 litre bottles of water in the boot of my car which was in the garage last year underneath a rug. I just checked them over xmas - both frozen solid all the way through.