feeding hens shtfs

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
buttystella

feeding hens shtfs

Post by buttystella »

was thinking what to feed hens with when pellets are scarce. I really like eggs and find them an easy meal with tin toms, so i would want to keep them laying if possible.

I brought some Hawthorn berries, elder berries and apples from a walk this afternoon and the hens ate all three items. I also give them beetroot tops which they seem to like. The problem is most of the food hens eat we can also eat so what would be the best solution and would hens be a luxury we couldn't afford in a bad situation.

Perhaps it would be better to rear rabbits and goats instead what do other preppers think?
preppingsu

Re: feeding hens shtfs

Post by preppingsu »

hens are good at eating scraps (not meat) although wtshtf you will probably eat everything on your plate. If allowed to roam free then they will feast on worms etc in the garden.
Part of my plan is to buy extra bags of feed and have a stock (bit like my own food preps). I currently sell excess eggs to a neighbour so that pays for chook food.
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

yes sue, i was thinking along them lines but the idea of prepping for hens seems a luxury as hens would be a target for others in a situation. They would also be difficult to keep secure and egg laying would surly drop off if pellets were restricted from the diet.
Brambling01

Post by Brambling01 »

This is a great little book! I got it to add to the library last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Keeping-Poultry ... 188&sr=1-1

I have an extra sack of mixed corn, but Layers pellets and mash have a limited shelf life, so I don't bother storing them. This time of year, my girls just have a handful of mixed corn in the morning.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I seem to have the pickiest hens on the planet. everything that books and forums assure me that they wil love, they sneer and curl up the beaks at. All they want is worms and more worms. Oh and mince, they like mince! :mrgreen:
Which is not very useful for me is it..
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

my hens are like kids they want to eat burgers instead of corn any thing thats bad for them in other words.
bulldogeagle

Post by bulldogeagle »

may i respectfully recommend the following book: "Keeping Poultry & Rabbits on Scraps" by Claude Goodchild & alan Thompson, a penguin handbook isbn 978-0-141-03862-9 price £6.99
buttystella

Post by buttystella »

off to the library, thanks
Brambling01

Post by Brambling01 »

bulldogeagle wrote:may i respectfully recommend the following book: "Keeping Poultry & Rabbits on Scraps" by Claude Goodchild & alan Thompson, a penguin handbook isbn 978-0-141-03862-9 price £6.99
Erm already did :)