Cheap Food?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
diamond lil

Cheap Food?

Post by diamond lil »

This is the biggest obstacle to me re prepping. On a very low income its just not possible to stash and eat at the same time. I would be very happy if you could post some of your fav cheap meals - both filler-uppers and snack gratefully received. :mrgreen:
itsybitsy

Re: Cheap Food?

Post by itsybitsy »

Tuna pasta. Cheap as chips.

1 tin tuna chunks
1 tetra pack/tin of chopped tomatoes ( I favour Sainsbury's Basics, no green stalky bits in them :mrgreen:)
1 x tin sweetcorn
Tomato pureee
Seasoning as preferred
150 g pasta of choice

This amount of food will feed two people a hearty meal. Tasty, frugal and healthy! :mrgreen:
Triple_sod

Post by Triple_sod »

Liver and onions, not everyone’s cup of tea but I like a bit now and again, It's very cheap, good for you as well apparently.

Used to eat a lot of jacket tatties, you can put anything you want in one of them so I always thought they were good for using up bits that would probably get chucked away.
dizzydays

Post by dizzydays »

Cheese /Potato cakes - mashed potato with softened onion and cheese stirred in, made into 'patties' and fried till brown on both sides. Nice with cooked sliced tomato on top. They used to serve this at work with white cabbage. I've used tinned Smash potato as well as fresh and they both work - useful as a meal made with store cupboard preps if there is no fresh stuff available.

Similar method can use tinned tuna or salmon instead of cheese.

DD
Brambling01

Post by Brambling01 »

Here you go, Lil. Wartime recipes.

http://woottonbridgeiow.org.uk/recipes/wartime.php

Loads of recipes here. Enjoy! :)
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Lovely thanks everybody, will try these on the husband. (well, just in case eh ) :twisted:
metatron

Post by metatron »

Corn Beef Hash with cabbage

3 cans of corn beef
5 carrots
6 potatoes
1 medium Cabbage.

Dice up the carrots, potatoes and corned beef, and place in a large pot, cover in water and bring to a boil.
Add a beef stock cube and a splash of worcester sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the cut up cabbage and cook for 15 minutes.
Plate up and eat.
ro2935

Post by ro2935 »

metatron wrote:Corn Beef Hash with cabbage

3 cans of corn beef
5 carrots
6 potatoes
1 medium Cabbage.

Dice up the carrots, potatoes and corned beef, and place in a large pot, cover in water and bring to a boil.
Add a beef stock cube and a splash of worcester sauce and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the cut up cabbage and cook for 15 minutes.
Plate up and eat.
thats an awful lot of cornbeef
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

And its not cheap ! But looks like a good recipe ty !
ro2935

Post by ro2935 »

spaghetti with tomato, garlic and basil sauce

serves 4
5tblsps oliv oil
1 onion, chopped finely
2 cans of chopped tomatoes
4 cloves garlic, cut into quarters
salt and pepper
1lb of dried spaghetti
large handful fresh basil leaves shredded
fresh parmesan cheese shavings, to serve

Heat the oil in a large saucepan, Add th onions and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft. Add the tomatoes and garlic, Bring to the boil, thn simmer over medium-low heat for 25-30 minutes, sason with salt and pepper.
Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water, until tender. Drain and transfer to a warm serving dish
Pour the sauce over the pasta. Add the basil and toss well to mix. Serve with the parmesan cheese shavings.