Fire Blanket

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
itsybitsy

Fire Blanket

Post by itsybitsy »

Looking for a reasonably priced fire blanket for the kitchen - recommendations please. I don't want anything in a hard shell or anything fancy - just a bog standard fire blanket that I can stick in a drawer, hopefully never to be used.

I just looked at one on the fire protection shop which was about a tenner - all fine I noticed that the only postage option was a next day courier at £6.50, which I didn't care for. :lol:
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Fire Blanket

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

What ever you get ensure its got the bsi kitemark...

Go for 1.2m² over the smaller 1m2 more protection and a full cover and drape down of the average stove top.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/firechief-fi ... 1-2m/820fx
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Whatever you buy though ,don’t put it in a drawer. It needs to hang somewhere EASY to grab. I cannot emphasise this enough. Our blankets are with the extinguishers ,and they have been put in places where they can be grabbed safely to deal with an emergency. You know what I mean… ;)
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:32 pm Whatever you buy though ,don’t put it in a drawer. It needs to hang somewhere EASY to grab. I cannot emphasise this enough. Our blankets are with the extinguishers ,and they have been put in places where they can be grabbed safely to deal with an emergency. You know what I mean… ;)
I have to go past the drawers to get to the hob so that's why I wanted to put it in a drawer, I don't want it to be on show in the kitchen. I might actually attach it to the inside of the door in the under stairs cupboard instead which would be easier to grab than in a drawer.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:32 pm Whatever you buy though ,don’t put it in a drawer. It needs to hang somewhere EASY to grab. I cannot emphasise this enough. Our blankets are with the extinguishers ,and they have been put in places where they can be grabbed safely to deal with an emergency. You know what I mean… ;)
Mine stands on the kitchen floor in a corner, with the extinguisher.

I had a customer once who set fire to her worktop.
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:56 pm
I have to go past the drawers to get to the hob so that's why I wanted to put it in a drawer, I don't want it to be on show in the kitchen. I might actually attach it to the inside of the door in the under stairs cupboard instead which would be easier to grab than in a drawer.
My dear wife doesn’t like them hanging - and she is a works fire Marshall! Easy access though is important in a swift emergency. When a fire starts it’s fast!

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:15 pm
itsybitsy wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:56 pm
My dear wife doesn’t like them hanging - and she is a works fire Marshall! Easy access though is important in a swift emergency. When a fire starts it’s fast!
Yeah, I think actually I'll get two - one for the under stairs cupboard and one that I can lay flat on top of the fridge - easy access. ;)
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I nearly had a fire. I put some wet mushrooms into a frying pan and it went on fire, like you see in tv kitchen shows. Stupidly I blew it out. It worked, but in hindsight blowing's not a great idea. I know now anyway, not to mix water and hot fat. I'm not sure what causes it on tv, or what they do about it. They never seem bothered. Fire blanket next time anyway.
jansman

Post by jansman »

A 1 metre blanket is as cheap as a fiver on eBay.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:11 pm A 1 metre blanket is as cheap as a fiver on eBay.
Lot of stuff has free delivery on ebay. Weirdly, the last item I bought off ebay was delivered by Amazon Prime.