Lighting

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
jansman

Lighting

Post by jansman »

We picked up an Eveready LED (internal )approach striplight. USB charged. Twelve quid from Home Bargains. Sticky magnetic strip to fix it,or a folding hook. Anyhow,it’s replaced the mains electric strip light in the walk in pantry. What a piece of kit! It’s actually better lighting and turns itself on upon approach.

Up on the stairwell ,landing and loo,we have Eveready battery ones ( have had awhile),and they’ve been good too. Especially good at night when you need the loo,as the LED mains light is rather harsh and disruptive- and the approach lights obviously turn themselves on.

I’m replacing our kitchen right now,and the wall mounted units will have similar beneath them. I don’t know the brand ,but Mrs J picked them up and they are very good too. All sorts out there.

So if you are looking for emergency lights,or leccy- saving lights,these are rather good. In fact,if a preppers emergency lights are basically paraffin or the real fire hazard - candles :( - they need a word with themselves. These work and economical with power too and are safe! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Lighting

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I got some under cabinet lights from Lidl..

Sticky pad steel plates and a magnetic mount for the light

Usb c rechargeable too so can be charged from solar

Pir or switch operations

This sort of job

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cabinet-Lighti ... 8068&psc=1
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

That’s the boy Andy! ;)

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 10:06 am That’s the boy Andy! ;)
Good for camping in a steel framed tent / caravan awning too :lol:

Peter

Post by Peter »

Over the last few months I’ve been changing our “emergency SHTF” lighting, where possible, to usb rechargeable led lamps, lanterns and torches, plugged straight into the solar panels. In an emergency it will save having to mess about with separate rechargeables, AA/AAA etc, which we are using in our every day stuff.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Peter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 7:55 pm Over the last few months I’ve been changing our “emergency SHTF” lighting, where possible, to usb rechargeable led lamps, lanterns and torches, plugged straight into the solar panels. In an emergency it will save having to mess about with separate rechargeables, AA/AAA etc, which we are using in our every day stuff.
You sound like me Peter! :D When I think back to when we first married and moved here ( a long time ago!) we had a major one week long power and water cut. We had a single old style rubber torch and a paraffin lamp. :lol: In fact the paraffin lamp(s) we still have to keep the outside loo frost-free! :lol: Now we are like you with rechargeable AA and AAA and USB . So much better,but that’s the progress of technology isn’t it? In fact that outside loo has an LED approach light inside to save switching the mains light on! :lol:
I am renovating the kitchen right now,and the new lights are underneath the wall units ( similar to the one Yorkshire Andy described), are excellent. When charged by solar particularly,it saves electricity- not a lot, I know,but it helps.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

I have 3 emergency lights that come on at night if you walk past them, and I'm very impressed at how long the batteries are lasting. I've had them almost 6 months and I think I've only replaced the batteries in one. I was using up some old non-rechargeable ones, and then going over to re-chargeables. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07Q9JFH1Y/ Not the cheapest, but they are good. They always work when they should, and only occasionally come on in low light when you don't need them to. They can detect fairly low levels of daylight. The one at the bottom of the stairs doesn't always detect the landing light, but it only comes on for a few seconds if you go downstairs. They detect you from about 3m away if you are in front, and about 1-2m away if you are to the side. I also have one in my prep room, partly because I sometimes go in there with wet hands.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I picked up some emergency light bulbs that fit in place of a standard bulb in a basic light fitting...

Only crux is the light on that room needs to be a basic set up no multi bulb fittings no fan on the same circuit ..

Kids bedrooms have them in

In the event of a power cut operate the light switch and by magic they come on ( resistive loads in the house make the circuit that puts the bulb on at a low brightness for about 3 hours

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394436467507 ... hIEALw_wcB