Tinned olive oil - how long will they last?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Omega

Tinned olive oil - how long will they last?

Post by Omega »

Hi, everyone,
I remember, when I was on a holiday in Greece, the guide recommended buying olive oil in tin cans instead of bottles because lack of sunlight significantly reduces oil's deterioration. What is the recommended storage (difference between production and BBE) of olive oil in tins? I assume their don't go bad, because oil is quite resistant to getting spoiled
I plan storing it in my garage, so it will not be room temperature, but anything more than 10 years is good enough for me
Not sure if I want to store any other oil (though I stocked up on sunflower oil)
Thank you
jennyjj01

Re: Tinned olive oil - how long will they last?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Omega wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:42 pm Hi, everyone,
I remember, when I was on a holiday in Greece, the guide recommended buying olive oil in tin cans instead of bottles because lack of sunlight significantly reduces oil's deterioration. What is the recommended storage (difference between production and BBE) of olive oil in tins? I assume their don't go bad, because oil is quite resistant to getting spoiled
I plan storing it in my garage, so it will not be room temperature, but anything more than 10 years is good enough for me
Not sure if I want to store any other oil (though I stocked up on sunflower oil)
Thank you
I don't know the answer, but I do note this from storing olive oil in the loft... As temp varies, it clouds up and sort of emulsifies and looks weird, but warm it up and it goes back to it's bright self. So avoid wide temp fluctuation. maybe get a temperature data logger off am a zon. Garage temp could vary significantly, especially if you have a black roof. I had to abandon storing scoff in my garage roof space.
From this and previous posts, I get the impression that you aspire to buy and store a LOT of rations and to heck with stock rotation. Am I right? I'd love to hear your planned approach.

ps. I have used 5 yo sunflower oil. It was just starting to have noticeable taste degradation.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Omega

Post by Omega »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:52 pm From this and previous posts, I get the impression that you aspire to buy and store a LOT of rations and to heck with stock rotation. Am I right? I'd love to hear your planned approach.

ps. I have used 5 yo sunflower oil. It was just starting to have noticeable taste degradation.
About rations. I plan buying MREs, but perhaps about 60-100 main meals and around 40 deserts. I might start travelling a lot around the UK and confident I will eat them on my trips. And this falls into business expense, so this will help
I buy canned meats and fish, keep it in two stock, each calculated half of the maximum duration. For example, we eat around 2 cans of fish a month, cans state they last for 2 years until expiry, so each stock is 24 cans. Once one stock depletes, I buy it all again. Find it a hassle as I need to move items from one stock to another because, when tinned fish finishes, it does not mean tinned meat is finishing too
Then food for 3 months, as mormons recommend - beans, rice, etc. Yes, I do not feel I will rotate it, keep it for 10 years and, if I remind, I will try using it. If not, well, then it goes to the bin. Wasteful, but I think I will forget about it

A thought about olive oil - it should not be much in quantity, so I perhaps can hide all stock in my office for more stable temperatures.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Omega wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:35 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:52 pm From this and previous posts, I get the impression that you aspire to buy and store a LOT of rations and to heck with stock rotation. Am I right? I'd love to hear your planned approach.

About rations. I plan buying MREs, but perhaps about 60-100 main meals and around 40 deserts. I might start travelling a lot around the UK and confident I will eat them on my trips. And this falls into business expense, so this will help
I buy canned meats and fish, keep it in two stock, each calculated half of the maximum duration. For example, we eat around 2 cans of fish a month, cans state they last for 2 years until expiry, so each stock is 24 cans. Once one stock depletes, I buy it all again. Find it a hassle as I need to move items from one stock to another because, when tinned fish finishes, it does not mean tinned meat is finishing too
Then food for 3 months, as mormons recommend - beans, rice, etc. Yes, I do not feel I will rotate it, keep it for 10 years and, if I remind, I will try using it. If not, well, then it goes to the bin. Wasteful, but I think I will forget about it

A thought about olive oil - it should not be much in quantity, so I perhaps can hide all stock in my office for more stable temperatures.
I know what you mean about the hassle of rotation, and it's completely your choice if you do or don't bother. For a long time, I shoved backup rations into a one way place, letting it expire with a view to replacing.
You might maybe consider composting what might otherwise just get dumped, so it's not a complete waste. But again, your money. Your choice.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong