Bugout Navigation

How are you preparing
Frnc

Bugout Navigation

Post by Frnc »

A few notes.

On my bedroom door is a map case. Annoyingly I live on the edge of one map. My preferred bugout route gets away from built up areas asap. To this end I have to do a couple of miles on a second map, and then onto a third! (These are 1:25,000 walking scale).

So I cut 90% off the first map, 99% off the second, and stuck them together. These are on one side of the map case. On the second side is map 3, folded so the first bit I need is ready. I took the cover off. I drew some arrows to indicate where the route goes onto the next map.

Also I have a waterproof custom 1:50,000 that covers a large area starting about 2 miles south of where I live. This is just folded as they sent it. It has no cover and is very minimal in bulk. It doesn't fold out to a ridiculous size either.

I have some Stadtler lumocolour permanent pens which are great for the waterproof map. If you make a mistake and are quick, an alchohol wipe will remove it. Once dry it will not come off with water.

The pens are in the map case, with a pencil and obviously a decent compass (Suunto).

Other maps are kept in the bugout bag.

I have some x 3.5 mag glasses in a shoulder bag hanging with the map case. Also there is a magnifying glass in my bugout bag.

I do have phone apps, one of which has the advantage of voice navigation, which would be the ideal if cycling on my own.
Vitamin c

Re: Bugout Navigation

Post by Vitamin c »

Think.
Train lines in and out of use.
Canals... maps available.
Public footpaths...
Power lines ...
Rivers and streams
All of the above will keep you off road.
Fill er up jacko...
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

To be fair if it's within 10 miles of home I wouldn't need a map I cross crossed the area as a teenager by mountain bike from byways / footpaths roads and paths I'm fairly comfortable with my local areas geography and the quickest way from a to b

Biggest issues are things like new housing estates that pop up faster than the map makers can print maps
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Winterprep

Post by Winterprep »

I’m not sure what’s the “ in “digital mapping service just now but when I had memory map you could print out the area you wanted even if it overlapped several OS maps.I did this for the central Cairngorms as the area I wanted was over several maps.Just a thought.

WP
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Vitamin c wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:52 pm Think.
Train lines in and out of use.
Canals... maps available.
Public footpaths...
Power lines ...
Rivers and streams
All of the above will keep you off road.
Good points. There is a canal close to my house, and it is an option. But it runs though built up areas. Also my thinking was that going down this particular canal path on a bike, if I encounter a dog or people, there might not be anywhere to retreat or hide. Dogs is why I don't cycle along it on my rides, people let them off the lead. If one scared my I'd end up in the water! At the moment I favour a different route which is about a mile on road and then off road for a few miles. There are dog walkers here but the path is wide and there are trees to the side. Both routes actually meet about 3-4 miles away. Where they meet it's countryside, and my route then goes on a disused railway which is now a nice flat, wide path, with trees on each side with farmers fields both sides behind the trees.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:11 pm To be fair if it's within 10 miles of home I wouldn't need a map I cross crossed the area as a teenager by mountain bike from byways / footpaths roads and paths I'm fairly comfortable with my local areas geography and the quickest way from a to b

Biggest issues are things like new housing estates that pop up faster than the map makers can print maps
I pretty much know the first few miles. I should practice it more and extend my range. Obvoiosly I can only go half as far as I can cycle, unless I book a B&B or something. Something to do in the spring. I have tried to check out some details online such as gates. I did encounter a kissing gate not on this route, and I almost gave up trying to get my bike through it, but a runner helped me. And that was without luggage. My panniers are pretty easy to get off though. But I'd rather avoid them.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Winterprep wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:21 pm I’m not sure what’s the “ in “digital mapping service just now but when I had memory map you could print out the area you wanted even if it overlapped several OS maps.I did this for the central Cairngorms as the area I wanted was over several maps.Just a thought.

WP
Something to think about. I have a subscription to OS. I do have two custom maps, maybe one day I'll invest in a 1:50,000 that covers this bit. I'm ok with my cut down maps for now. If I was getting a custom one I think I'd get another aqua3 as they are fully waterproof and a nice size. I do have a printer so I'll think about it. I also have local maps on Komoot and other apps.
Speaking of digital, Mapout is fantastic, as it's free, and the map downloads are tiny compared to other apps. Also you can load up as many routes as you want at the same time, and then hide some. One of their map areas is about 20MB, and you probably only need 2 or 3. I have a biggger area downloaded on this app just in case, because they are so small.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Most kissing gates round here have gone due to the disability act as you can't get a wheel chair through .... Or those that remain you can get a bike into the recess
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:36 am Most kissing gates round here have gone due to the disability act as you can't get a wheel chair through .... Or those that remain you can get a bike into the recess
Worst case scenario I'd have to take off the panniers and hoist the bike up on it's rear wheel, then do a kind of tango or waltz with it, trying to open the gate and get round it. Which idiot got paid to think this was a good idea to put in place?
Even with the luggage off it weighs a good 16kg with lock, racks etc. Liftable, but not over my head. I do lift it out of the back door actually.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Obviously there are lots of unknown factors.

Is this an evacuation to a place designated by the government or council? If so, that could be anywhere.

If not, what is the reason for bugging out, and how long is it likely to be for?

Obviously bugging out is a last resort.

But if you are bugged in, you might have to go out looking for stuff, or to dispose of stuff. So that would be a mini-bugout each time. You need to take more gear than normal EDC just in case. You need to know where you are going. Eventally your supplies will start to run low. You go out scavenging. Something happens to you, or to your bug-in location.

Even on a normal bike ride I take tools, pump, tube, CO2, water, maybe a waterproof or wind jacket, spare gloves or hat. I don't take a paper map but I have my phone of course. But in a bug-in sitation, going out scavenging, there would be a lot more potential danger, and less chance of anyone resuing you. You can't just ring a taxi!