Solar panel repair?

Homes and Retreats
Nurseandy

Solar panel repair?

Post by Nurseandy »

I recently bought a 170w photo voltaic panel which unfortunately arrived with the glass shattered. The supplier is sending a replacement foc and has said I don't need to return the damaged panel.
The damaged panel still works and kicks out ~14v therefore i obviously want to make use of it. My question is, can the glass be replaced, or perhaps a protective film put over it or perhaps site it inside a window? I've already managed to cut myself twice on the shattered glass so using as is isn't an option and presumably it would be quickly broken by the weather.
jennyjj01

Re: Solar panel repair?

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:01 pm I recently bought a 170w photo voltaic panel which unfortunately arrived with the glass shattered. The supplier is sending a replacement foc and has said I don't need to return the damaged panel.
The damaged panel still works and kicks out ~14v therefore i obviously want to make use of it. My question is, can the glass be replaced, or perhaps a protective film put over it or perhaps site it inside a window? I've already managed to cut myself twice on the shattered glass so using as is isn't an option and presumably it would be quickly broken by the weather.
Resin coat from a car windscreen repair guy? Or even some clear resin from amazon or a craft shop?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you can get all the glass out I'm assuming you could reglaze it with something like agri glass for a greenhouse assuming it's not where you / kids might fall and put hands through it or something like perspex if in a higher risk area

Cat windsreen glue round the aluminium frame and place it over
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:07 pm If you can get all the glass out I'm assuming you could reglaze it with something like agri glass for a greenhouse assuming it's not where you / kids might fall and put hands through it or something like perspex if in a higher risk area

Cat windsreen glue round the aluminium frame and place it over
I don't think the glass comes out. Isn't it bonded to the panel?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=solar+panel+b ... Y0Kj7vTXTg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Good point. Yeah, the glass is completely shattered and still in place so I assume it is bonded to the panel. I shall investigate resins........
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Next question - anybody have any idea what area 500ml of resin would cover?
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Nurseandy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:20 pm Next question - anybody have any idea what area 500ml of resin would cover?
1ml=1cm cube
so (500*10)=5000cm^2 at thickness of 1mm?
If panel is 120cm by 60cm it's area would be 7200cm^2. So would cover about 2.3 of panel at 1mm... or whole panel at 2/3mm thick.

Substitute in your own panel size.

I see one chap on youtube recommend clear sticky back plastic.

Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:13 pm
Nurseandy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:20 pm Next question - anybody have any idea what area 500ml of resin would cover?
1ml=1cm cube
so (500*10)=5000cm^2 at thickness of 1mm?
If panel is 120cm by 60cm it's area would be 7200cm^2. So would cover about 2.3 of panel at 1mm... or whole panel at 2/3mm thick.

Substitute in your own panel size.

I see one chap on youtube recommend clear sticky back plastic.
Excellent stuff! Thank you jenny.

Did think about sticky back plastic but can't get past my suspicion that the corners would start to lift over time.

The resins only £15/500ml so I'll give that a go.
Thanks again.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Let us know how it goes.

korolev

Post by korolev »

What about fixing a new glass on top of the shattered one ?