full tank or not, that is the question !

How are you preparing
lone wolf

full tank or not, that is the question !

Post by lone wolf »

Thought i would ask your views and opinions on something ive been doing for a while now

Should you keep your fuel tank topped up or not, my thoughts are that if things get worse (saudis etc) with fuel prices hitting all time highs (well not yet, but soon maybe) and possible fuel strikes, protests and shortages would it be wise to keep our tanks topped up to full,

I ask you the question first and then ill come back in later to offer my idea and why i take this course of action i guess one or two of you may already have the same idea as me

Lone Wolf
Carrot Cruncher

Re: full tank or not, that is the question !

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

I try to keep the tank topped up but dont always manage it. My plan is to fill up to the top and then top it up each week. I only use about £10 - £15 a week so it should always be between 3/4 and full but like I said earlier.... thats the plan but i don't always stick to it :oops:

My main reason for doing it was being caught out by the fuel blockades last time. In the end I went out 2 night running at around 3:00am to try and get some fuel which i did on the second night. I would have been screwed if i needed to get anywhere in a hurry
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Hmmmm... I have been a bit hit and miss with this in the past but since we got hit with the atrocious weather last winter I have made sure that my tank is always at least half full. Over the past couple of weeks I've upped that to three quarters of a tank - which reminds me, I need to whizz to the petrol station on the way home from work tonight! :D
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

Thanks CC and itsy i was expecting those kind of replys, ill will wait for a few more before jumpin back in with my views

My way of doing things wont be usefull to everyone but it works for me and it may save you some money if things get worse with the fuel issues we are seeing

Lone Wolf
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

lone wolf wrote:Thanks CC and itsy i was expecting those kind of replys, ill will wait for a few more before jumpin back in with my views

My way of doing things wont be usefull to everyone but it works for me and it may save you some money if things get worse with the fuel issues we are seeing

Lone Wolf
I'm not converting to vegetable oil LW! :lol:
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

Nor would i Itsy,

My idea is more precaustionary

Lone Wolf
Panther

Post by Panther »

Living in a village with poor transport links we have to run two cars. I always make sure that one of them is a diesel. Whilst there is a restriction on how much petrol one can store there are no restrictions on diesel fuel. I therefore have ten 20litre cans full of diesel in the garage (hope to increase that number soon). They are dated and get used and replaced in rotation once a year. I reckon I've enough there for over 1500 miles, enough to keep me going for a while and bug out to wherever I need to go.
In answer to your original question I try to keep the tank above the half way mark whenever finances allow!
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

We keep the car full as well, living out in the sticks you need to.
lone wolf

Post by lone wolf »

Seems to be the pattern i expected but ill wait a while longer for a few more replys...

Lone Wolf
preppingsu

Post by preppingsu »

Since the beginning of the year I have filled up once it reaches the half full mark. But have only started using it again everyday as before was on the bus. I am using a lot of fuel at the mo :evil: :evil: and am aware of how much money I am spending on fuel. It is currently below half and may have to wait until the weekend before I fill up!!!(which I'm not happy about or comfortable with :( )