Altoid Tin EDC - non-emegency kit

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
Briggs 2.0

Altoid Tin EDC - non-emegency kit

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I've become a bit minimalist and reduced my EDC down to an Altoid mint tin container. This isn't a survival tin, it's what I use on a daily basis or like to have on me just-in-case while I'm at work or out and about. No large tools or extensive first aid, this is just for my day-to-day non-emergency kit.

I have used tiny magnets glued to the inside of the tin which keeps everything in place, even when upside down. Full credit to youtube's TheUrbanPrepper for this neat idea. As well as the magnets, the tweezers act as a spring to hold the upper layer of kit in place.

The Altoids tin is smaller than the usual tobacco tin.

List of contents includes:

Leatherman Micro - I have a Leatherman Squirt but it is about 2mm too deep to fit in this set up. Shame.
Pry bar with spanner and other tools
Uncle Bill's Tick tweezers
Leatherman bit driver
USB memory stick with 32Gb micro SD card with SD adaptor
USB to iPhone lightning mini charger cable
Mini LED torch which is rechargeable via micro USB

Tins - 10ml 51mm x 26mm x 9mm size micro tins (magnetised) with sliding lids labelled with contents that include water purification tablets, paracetomol, ibuprofen, 6 x matches, emery board, fishing hook with line wrapped in electrical tape, needles and thread, paper clips, three safety pins and two buttons. In the driver bit tin I have an assortment of cross head, flat, allen key and torx bits to fit the Leatherman bit driver. In there are also two wood screws and a few nails.

Under the tins are three plasters, some steristrips and one anti-septic wipe.

I'm waiting on eBay to send me a Micro USB version of the USB charger cable which should fit into what space is left beside the smaller tins and I'm about to cut down a pencil to fit in the small space beside the torch. If I can't get a pencil in, I'm going to try wrapping some gaffer tape around a nail so I can have some tape to hand.

Inside the lid are three magnets. I clip a £10 or £20 note here along with a print out of emergency contact numbers.

I don't have any fine scales but I'd say it comes in at about 150grammes. I bought a rather neat leather pouch from eBay which is here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161671999722 - my photo doesn't really do the quality of leather justice, check the eBay item for better images.

If you're after more info on where I got the tins and other bits and bobs, just let me know.
Last edited by Briggs 2.0 on Sat May 02, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
undomesticdiva

Re: Altoid Tin EDC - non-emegency kit

Post by undomesticdiva »

Oh wow i love the little mini tins that fit in too, where did you get them? And, thanks to you, i have finally discovered what a leatherman is! haha :)
If i wanted to make a belt pouch, do you think normal fabric would work? Instead of leather?
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

The tins come from eBay from a seller called MD Flashlights. This seller also provided the pry bar that fits perfectly next to the tins. If you order the tins, be careful, there are two sizes of tins, I used the 51mm x 26mm x 9mm tins in my Altoid tin kit.

I'm not skilled with a needle and thread so making a decent pouch is way beyond me!
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:The tins come from eBay from a seller called MD Flashlights. This seller also provided the pry bar that fits perfectly next to the tins. If you order the tins, be careful, there are two sizes of tins, I used the 51mm x 26mm x 9mm tins in my Altoid tin kit.

I'm not skilled with a needle and thread so making a decent pouch is way beyond me!
Awesome, i'll have to have a look in a sec :) I'll be using a tobacco tin, so i'll have to remember to measure it if i decide to order them. You'll have to practise your sewing skills in case you need to mend a hole, or darn socks haha :) i'll make a pouch later and let you know how it turns out, if it works i'll do a turtorial :)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

Hehe! I'm okay doing a button or repair but it would be nowhere near the skills required to make a pouch that I'd want to show to the public!

Here is a photo of my work in progress tobacco tin kit using the slight larger 20ml tins. I've opened my med tin which hopefully shows I have fitted little dividers to separate the different meds. I have a tobacco sized pouch for my belt but I find it's just a little too big for getting in and out of the car, etc, etc.

In the photo is a Topeak ratchet tool designed for cyclists. It's an excellent little bit of kit with a ratchet at one end and a slot for bits at the other end. It just about fits in the Altoid tin set up but it uses full size 6mm bits which are heavy and take up room, the Leatherman bit driver doesn't have a ratchet however its plus-point is that it uses flat driver bits that take up less room. It's all about shaving the millimetres down when going minimalist!

I plan on having more first aid in this tin....

You can see the round flat magnet that's glued to the base of the tobacco tin that holds the smaller tin in place.

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Looks like its function is the same as my boy-scout-kit, I really need to do a replace & repack on it so I'll be nicking ideas ;)

How rattly are those small tins? I try to avoid hard cased kits because I find the noise annoying

Diva: Somewhere around here I have a belt pouch pattern that fits a tobacco tin .... I'll see if I can dig it out and scan it
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Looks like its function is the same as my boy-scout-kit, I really need to do a replace & repack on it so I'll be nicking ideas ;)

How rattly are those small tins? I try to avoid hard cased kits because I find the noise annoying

Diva: Somewhere around here I have a belt pouch pattern that fits a tobacco tin .... I'll see if I can dig it out and scan it
Ooh fab! I've just put a tutorial up in DIY and handicrafts but i think yours might make more sense lol then i get to make another 1! haha :D the more the better :)
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Hehe! I'm okay doing a button or repair but it would be nowhere near the skills required to make a pouch that I'd want to show to the public!

Here is a photo of my work in progress tobacco tin kit using the slight larger 20ml tins. I've opened my med tin which hopefully shows I have fitted little dividers to separate the different meds. I have a tobacco sized pouch for my belt but I find it's just a little too big for getting in and out of the car, etc, etc.

In the photo is a Topeak ratchet tool designed for cyclists. It's an excellent little bit of kit with a ratchet at one end and a slot for bits at the other end. It just about fits in the Altoid tin set up but it uses full size 6mm bits which are heavy and take up room, the Leatherman bit driver doesn't have a ratchet however its plus-point is that it uses flat driver bits that take up less room. It's all about shaving the millimetres down when going minimalist!

I plan on having more first aid in this tin....

You can see the round flat magnet that's glued to the base of the tobacco tin that holds the smaller tin in place.

That's awesome! I'd be a terrible minimalist, i like to pack for every conceivable situation, so you can imagine how big my B.O.B is! It's pretty easy to carry though, and i'm used to carrying heavy things when i used to work with my dad and cart things about lol i use a hand crank mixer for making butter so that helps strengthen my bicep muscles lol :D

I might end up actually making 1 specifically for bike repairs once i can find a bike cheap enough, then me and The Bearded Wonder can get to the nearest town easier :)
And it is a perfect B.O.V :)
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

ForgeCorvus wrote:Looks like its function is the same as my boy-scout-kit, I really need to do a replace & repack on it so I'll be nicking ideas ;)

FC,

No rattles. The magnets and the spring tweezers hold everything in place. Upside down nothing falls out.
undomesticdiva

Post by undomesticdiva »

Or, if you don't have magnets, pad out the inside with a thin cotton batting, like the one used for quilting et voila you have tinder too! lol :D x