What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
pseudonym

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by pseudonym »

Bought myself a mechanical (wind up) Pocket watch.

Going old skool or just getting old........ you decide :mrgreen:

My first actual watch for more than 22 years.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Ordered saline pods, I get through this, because if I ever splash dirty or potentially dirty water in my eye (which happens a surprising number of times, is it just me?) I use one with a disposable eye bath. Or more rarely, if I get something in my eye. I once got an insect in my eye on a bike ride, despite wearing shades, so I keep one in my bike FAK. You can use it to wash out a wound as well. You can use a little sprayer. I have a few of those.
Speaking of the bike, did a ride, circuit of my area. Not been out for ages due to having the builders in. Fitness is down a bit, and backside a bit painful.
Got a load of stuff in Amazon basket but none is desperate, it'll have to wait. Need to consolidate my finances.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Depleted the calor gas on holiday so exchanged the bottle today, we have another too which we acquired from our son. Spent the day yesterday chopping pallets and today was spent installing a new CCTV DVR as the old one failed. Oil tank has been filled, first aid stocks checked and replenished as required. Firelighters topped up and kindling chopped. Currently harvesting and processing the fruit and veg although this year has been not so productive. Bought seeds in preparation for next spring and a load of new usb cables to replace some which are a bit dodgy. The truck box of emergency supplies was checked and replenished prior to our holiday and I have a new EDC. Next task is to sort the store room which I have spoken about previously. Really happy that husband now has more of a prepping mindset than previously.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:20 pm Depleted the calor gas on holiday so exchanged the bottle today, we have another too which we acquired from our son. Spent the day yesterday chopping pallets and today was spent installing a new CCTV DVR as the old one failed. Oil tank has been filled, first aid stocks checked and replenished as required. Firelighters topped up and kindling chopped. Currently harvesting and processing the fruit and veg although this year has been not so productive. Bought seeds in preparation for next spring and a load of new usb cables to replace some which are a bit dodgy. The truck box of emergency supplies was checked and replenished prior to our holiday and I have a new EDC. Next task is to sort the store room which I have spoken about previously. Really happy that husband now has more of a prepping mindset than previously.
The price of calor and especially Camping Gaz is flipping eye watering :shock:

I "upgraded" to a 13kg refillable propane for "garden use" they do a smaller 7kg but it's out of stock ATM came to just over £25 to fill

https://lpgshop.co.uk/gasbank-light-steel/

Was cheaper via their eBay shop by a fiver a hell of a lot cheaper than the fancy composite bottles

Obviously you need a lpg pump locally to take advantage of the cheaper gas

I need to dig my car out and sort it at some point it's currently like a skip on wheels
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Finally, the store room has been tidied and sorted apart from a couple of storage boxes which I need to go through. Feeling much happier and more organised now. Just need to make sure that I keep on top of it from now on.
Growing old disgracefully!
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Medusa wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:42 pm Finally, the store room has been tidied and sorted apart from a couple of storage boxes which I need to go through. Feeling much happier and more organised now. Just need to make sure that I keep on top of it from now on.
I sorted a kitchen drawer the other day. My bike tools are in it, but it was brim full and very disorganised. I got everything out except a big pile of old nuts, bolts, screws etc. I put most of those in an old food container, so at least they are confined to a corner of the drawer. I chucked the rest. I put my bike tools back, and took the house tools up to the prep room, and put them in a drawer. I can find things a lot quicker now. The drawer in the prep room is just a cheap plastic set of 3 from Wilko. I have a waste paper basket that sits on top, so they take up no extra space.
https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-3-dra ... /p/0188879
Peter

Post by Peter »

Medusa wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:42 pm Finally, the store room has been tidied and sorted apart from a couple of storage boxes which I need to go through. Feeling much happier and more organised now. Just need to make sure that I keep on top of it from now on.
Don’t mention the T word :o
moominmama

Post by moominmama »

Got a small, cheap second hand sewing machine and going to start out with new lined heavy curtains for the winter.

As an aside, when did sewing machines get so expensive and complicated?!? Looked at some in JL and was really a bit freaked out by both cost and complexity, assured by colleagues that £300+ is reasonable for a sewing machine, too embarrassed to tell then how basic my machine is, but I am working on the assumption (maybe mistaken) that less complex means less to wrong, and more likely I will be able to fix and issues myself.
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:59 am
DustyDog wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 pm
pseudonym wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:47 pm A new Olight Arkfeld torch.

Can't have enough torches. :ugeek:
Just had a look at that, nice piece of kit, I like my Fenix torches, very bright and well made and yes, you can never have too many torches. 😂
Step away from the torches :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorted most of my battery powered lanterns out last night got one that's been sat in the kitchen near the cooker to clean and degrease another needs the battery charging ..

Pulled them all into one location so they are easy to find rather than scattered round the house
Yes, I’m putting candles in one place, making sure got lighters sorted for them and making sure all torches are charged/got good batteries in, it’s really feeling like autumn now, cooler nights.
Up in the wet South Lakeland
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

DustyDog wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 9:26 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:59 am
DustyDog wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:16 pm

Just had a look at that, nice piece of kit, I like my Fenix torches, very bright and well made and yes, you can never have too many torches. 😂
Step away from the torches :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorted most of my battery powered lanterns out last night got one that's been sat in the kitchen near the cooker to clean and degrease another needs the battery charging ..

Pulled them all into one location so they are easy to find rather than scattered round the house
Yes, I’m putting candles in one place, making sure got lighters sorted for them and making sure all torches are charged/got good batteries in, it’s really feeling like autumn now, cooler nights.
I got told off when the wife found the "box of candles" apparently we don't need any more :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine