What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Le Mouse

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Le Mouse »

My central heating is struggling to keep the house warm. I suspect there's no insulation in the loft. Not much I can do about that as it's rented accommodation. But I have blankets and hot water bottles, so I'm OK.

I'm quite envious of my Mum's little bungalow - extremely efficient heating, and as it's council sheltered housing, likely very well insulated. At least I don't have to worry about Mum not being warm enough :lol:
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well as i just got an early christmas pressie a new vacuum sealer i am going to be doing loads of sealing prep stuff for the grab and go bags ie socks undies in sealed bags and loads of other stuff , i will also be doing sealed food for the freezer and also be trying out the jar sealing idea you pop the jar of dried or wet goods in your jar then in to the sealer jar lid just tiny twist then vacuum and it should suck the air out the main jar and the jar you want sealed once all the air is out you then release the pressure and the jar inside should be sucked down tight and you jsut twist it a little to finish the lock of the lid .

Well wish me luck , i can now do boil or micro in the bag meals for the wife for when i am bed ridden at least i know she can pop in the micro and have a hot meal but i am thinking i can put 2 single portions of salmon in bags with herby butters woo hoo and i can also do maranating in the big jars i can do my famous pork skewers easily now .

Well what else hmm silicone spray all door and windows seals to stop them sticking in the freezing weather and also do your car door shuts with it the rubber holds water and in freezing temps can make the door impossoble to open , you know the stuff back to black or other dash silicone spray
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Cosy in here, this is a tiny pensioners house and very well insulated. But outside its reading minus 5 and the snow is frozen in deep ruts, impossible to walk on. Too much hassle to get the car out so we're staying put here. Salted the steps and path. Keeping the heating at 24c.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Only 11 deg C in the lounge whan we got up this morning - heating had been on half an hour. It's just up to 16 now and that's with the open fire lit too. A stove is planned for next winter. Mr A had to go out this morning and the car thermometer read -8.5. I walked the dog and my feet were beautifully warm in my thermal wellies. Maybe this year I won't get frost-nip. (Due to having Raynauds) Still need to find some decent mitts but I have to take them off every so often to hold on to the dog who is very reactive to cars, people, other dogs, birds etc etc.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

One lodger's room is 19.0, mine is 19.5. I did turn the heating up 0.5° for 3 hours. He has his curtain open. Mine are shut, plus a roller blind down behind that. I've just turned my TRV down.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Rubbed mink oil on my winter boots to protect them.

They should be the last pair of winter boots I own
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Still painting the prep room. Was a bit concerned so I rang the paint manufacturers. He said he would expect white over purple and red (lodger's daughter painted it) to take at least 3 coats. It's not so bad when it's dry. When I'm painting it, some areas seem to get WORSE when I go over them. I thought maybe the roller was pulling previously applied paint OFF. But he said it' s chemically cured so that can't happen if it's dry. It must be the opacity is lower when it gets wet. This makes sense as it looks better when it's dry. Ordered another tin, will take at least another couple of goes. I'm not doing it methodically because half of it looks done. So I'm just going over the bits that aren't done properly yet. He said don't over-roll it.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:35 pm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004 ... _edm_other

Less than a fiver delivered.
You know that doesn't include the brass burner, right? I assume that's a standard size.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Actually got the heating turned down half a degree at the moment. Don't think the lodgers have noticed. Thermostat in the living room is set to 17 during the day and 17.5 in the evening, but the house seemed warm enough, so I kept it to 17. My room is 19.3.