What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Frnc

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Frnc »

Fitted solar outdoor security light as a backup. I thought you could rotate the solar panel but it's fixed. Fortunately I found a south facing site at the top of the window. Fixed it to the wood. I'll test the motion detector tonight.

Also put the new radio on in the kitchen, on a station that seemed to be all or mostly talk. This was one of the tips recommended by ex-burglars.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

Trying to find a place where I can learn to do knots as an adult.

Too auld for the Scouts and Sea Cadets!

Any ideas are welcome!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:44 am Trying to find a place where I can learn to do knots as an adult.

Any ideas are welcome!
Youtube.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a steady weekend

Think I'm finally there with recharging anything that I can so I'm fully topped up

Added another jumpstart / power bank to the prep pile (£30 in Boyes itsy ) on eBay for £105! 10,000mah and will start a 2l derv / 4l petrol car apparently....

Sorted the garden ready for winter there's a bit more ti do but not much....

Bought some new wellies as mine had split
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

By allowing the gas pipe layers to park their digger and genny on my driveway over the weekend I got them to drill a hole in my wall to pass the solar cables through.

Win win .
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well,the valley ( as expected :D) is flooded right now,so my weekly fishing trip has been suspended. As a younger bloke,I would have found slack water areas and done well,but my safety is more important these days. ;) So…

It’s getting light now ,and the cup of tea right now is my last ,and I’ll be out to sort some stuff. On the way home yesterday I picked up one or two :lol: canned foods ,more batteries,methylated spirit for the Trangia etc. One or two folks were not happy because there were items not available. The most notable one - for me- was a chap *shocked* that there were none of the Home Bargain Nitelite brand coblights. I have one or two :lol: :lol: and they are not bad for the price.Stocking up is about things in advance isn’t it? :roll: As I told a workmate ,when he whinged about availability/ cost of coal and logs for his stove ; “ that’s why I collect from the end of Winter and through Summer for next Winter”, he couldn’t grasp the logic of that storage system! And this bloke is a ***king manager! :roll: He also commented that he cannot get a chimney sweep this side of New Year . I suggested he did it himself ,like I do. That didn’t go down so well either! :lol:

So,gonna stock the shelves in the walk in pantry,make a couple of brews, pickle some eggs and red cabbage,fix a shed door, clear some rubbish, and sort out fishing kit for a few trips next week.

Ta ta for now. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Paid a trip to the local big Chinese supermarket/cash & carrry. I haven't been for a couple of years so interesting to see what had changed.
Found 1l bottles of gluten free soy sauce, 20Kg of onions for the shed and dried mushrooms. I wanted some more beans and spices but they were either non-existent or overpriced for those which was a surprise. T'other half wanted to look at the woks and wok lids but these were very short supply along with most of their commercial kitchen bits.
Many goods were more expensive than our local Sainsbury's and there were a lot of gaps on the shelves.
They did have chafing (gel) burners and bistro stoves which might be worth remembering if you know anyone struggling to find one and you have a similar supplier near you.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Kiwififer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:44 am Trying to find a place where I can learn to do knots as an adult.

Any ideas are welcome!
There is a phone app called knots 3D animated which is quite good. I was a Girl Guide etc and am still pretty rubbish at knots. It is an animated step by step app which is pretty useful
Growing old disgracefully!
mbbaltic

Post by mbbaltic »

Quelle coincidence! I went to the big Chinese supermarket in Croydon today. Bought a big bottle of soy sauce and another of teriyaki. Kikkoman's branded. I agree it's probably not cheaper but It's handy having big bottles. Also bought two big 5l bottles of vinegar for spraying on the weeds on the drive. Cheaper than glyphosate and a bit more environmentally friendly. Whether it's effective we shall see. I also replaced all my spices as the old jars were losing their oomph. It was the same as you found - couldn't get everything I wanted in the sizes I wanted.

The place was more clinical than last time I went - a few years ago now. It used to be a bit of an Aladdin's cave. A bit less interesting to visit now. They had big stockpots which I thought about getting for waterbath canning but they were deep rather than wide so not so useful. I did see plenty of little gas canisters for portable stoves but as we have a gas hob I didn't focus on those and don't recall the price. Looked like there was no shortage though
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Medusa wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:00 pm

Any ideas are welcome!
There is a phone app called knots 3D animated which is quite good. I was a Girl Guide etc and am still pretty rubbish at knots. It is an animated step by step app which is pretty useful
Theres also https://www.animatedknots.com/, this site includes splices ..... Watch out though, it a big rabbit-hole to go down ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar