How is everyone doing right now?

How are you preparing
jansman

How is everyone doing right now?

Post by jansman »

Perhaps seems a daft question to some,but how are you all doing at the moment?

I know many Preppers are here because of Zombies/ asteroid collision/ and all the ‘potential’ problems. However,right now we are undergoing food inflation,job problems,income problems ,fuel problems etc.etc. You know the drill folks ;)

I won’t mention politics and the idiots who ‘work’ in that either,as the sh*t they speak doesn’t deal with my well being ,so no further mention about those wasters of precious oxygen! :lol: :lol: The real issues are what goes on in your abode,in my opinion.

Personally,our last three years have underlined health issues .Fortunately,most fortunately,my wife has beaten her cancer,and my heart is doing ok after it’s little ‘event’. The COVID has really smashed me up too,but I am starting to feel better,and back to my ‘hustling’ attitude. :D Our prepping down the years - or as my wife puts it - sensible country living ,has set us up as our parents were during the tough times of the 70’s.

Health has made us look at work,and what we can get away with.Both of us are back to feeling pretty well,which is good.Because of the state of the UK health system,we are looking after our own health and well being as far as possible,just like our grandparents did before 1947! We are helping our daughters,and we have sufficient to do that. Looks like my private pension has been shot to bits this last few weeks because of the state of our nation right now. Therefore we are finding ways to deal with our financial situation for the future. We won’t be relying on the wan*ers that caused the problem it appears. :lol:

We will keep on with our simple,country lives here. Keep making sure we have fuel in the yard,keep the animals well and the garden grown. Whatever happens ,there will be a warm hearth and food in the kitchen,whatever happens,and whatever we can hustle for. Health is probably our bigger worry but we will do our best under the circumstances ,where we can. ;)

What about yourselves? How are you getting on in these troubled times?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Re: How is everyone doing right now?

Post by izzy_mack »

Sensible country living - I love that, it describes me much better than prepper. Indeed I sometimes feel a bit of a fraud here as my prepping is more geared to storing food and firewood than equipment. Not really into gadgets as my aim is to simplify my life where possible added to which I tend to be "old school".
I read once that all you need for a happy and healthy life is clean fresh water, clean fresh air, wholesome food. somewhere warm and safe to sleep and something constructive for mind and body to occupy your day. This is not a bad way to approach life from.
Health is my main concern, without the medication for RA and thyroid I wouldn't last too long and suffer too. I have several months of meds stockpiled although it took me years of effort to reach this - after that I don't like to think of. I have been very fatigued this year and struggle with energy, stamina and strength but am learning to cope by doing little and often rather than going at tasks until finished which is how I would prefer to tackle things.
Fortunately I live in the kind of place that others would be bugging to, so my inability to walk for miles is less important although I try to keep my ability by taking short walks often.
I have a garden and there are some things to forage close at hand. Fishing is private close by but if SHTF - I have rods ;)
All in all I'm not over concerned for myself and OH, we live very frugal lives and our needs are small. I am concerned for grown up kids and their families, some will be fine one or two might struggle, well one struggled before all this and I help wherever I can and assume help will be needed even more so.

fi
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:35 am Perhaps seems a daft question to some,but how are you all doing at the moment?

I know many Preppers are here because of Zombies/ asteroid collision/ and all the ‘potential’ problems. However,right now we are undergoing food inflation,job problems,income problems ,fuel problems etc.etc. You know the drill folks ;) ...
The real issues are what goes on in your abode,in my opinion...

Personally,our last three years have underlined health issues...

What about yourselves? How are you getting on in these troubled times?
Thanks for asking, Jansman. Mustn't grumble! Well not to this forum! :cry:

The real issues are where we define them. They extend to wherever we care or value.

Zombie apocalypse or WW3 would be a refreshing distraction.

Health... Self and OH are mostly healthy enough day to day, but OH is having treatment for a distressing threatening condition. Our elderly live-in family member is getting more frail by the day which is upsetting and demanding. Circle of life is a 5h1t!

Extending out of the home to nearest loved ones, Sis has life threatening cancer and niece has life threatening organ problems. Somehow it's no consolation knowing it's them and not us.

Financially... Inflation is really screwing us over. From comfortable early retirement, we are faced with the likelihood of having to un-retire. We're going to have to make some riskier investments to try to counter upcoming inflation.

Mental Health... Dreadful. Too personal to reveal my demons here. "Snap out of it" doesn't cut it.

Situation feels like a rabbit in the headlights. Like we are hunkering down years before everyone else.

Things to do... Plan and implement a recovery plan... Redouble and redouble again resilience plans... Cook some comfort food... Make some wine... Seek joy... Cry for humanity... Give.

'Nuff said for now....
Except thanks, take care.
JJ
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
korolev

Post by korolev »

We're having massive work done to our house so have been living in the garage (which we converted to a hobby room) since early July. We have to go in the house to cook and shower but theres no lighting at all and only a cold tap. Fortunately they've kept the washing machine and dishwasher on and we have a temporary electric shower.
Most of our stuff is packed away and now that the weather is closing in we don't spend as much time outside when we're not gardening.
Its not exactly "bugging out" but it feels a bit like it and, mostly, it's BORING; the novelty wore thin some weeks ago and we're now just resenting it. Mentally it's tough.
It has made me realise what bug-out stuff I actually need and what I dont though; torches are very useful, the bigger the better, knives less so.
Having said that, the plastering is 90% done and the electrician/plumber are in this coming week to second fix so the end may be in sight.
When we get back in we've got to decorate the whole place though...
GeeGee

Post by GeeGee »

Still swimming a mile ..not for the exercise but for mental health ..thrown in a few abs /, core classes too
Trying to stay healthy and not freak out too much about what has happened to us this year
Wanted to move but the housing market along with the rest of the economy is shot to pieces at moment and there's nothing within our limit so have to stay for now ..
And even though it will leave us with nothing we are paying off the mortgage on the 7th November when mr GGs small pension kicks in after the awful time to get him finished on ill health
If terminal cancer doesn't cut it these days ive no idea what does ! What a battle that was .
So I'm stacking the wood making sure there's plenty in the pantry ..blackout blinds have gone up and two more on order for the upstairs
Doing them myself to save money ..
Feels as if we are all waiting for something massive to happen doesn't it .....
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Straight answer to this question would be steady.
In all honesty not a huge lot of change.. I've got loads of work coming in , rates have risen for what I do. My wife still works at times and my daughter works inbetween school work. All helps to combat rising prices. We are all still healthy or at least nothing remotely serious.
Only real blot if it can be called that is that the sale of my parents house fell through. We were renting it out but have now decided to sell. My daughter has ideas about the money we may receive and if she ends up at university has suggested buying a house and renting some rooms out to other students.
Work brings in a steady supply of wood for the burner as well as other stuff on a random basis. We have areas we can forage within a short walk and the garden still has the capability to expand , if anything I struggle for time to do it what with the amount of work coming in. I could be working today if it wasn't piddling it down.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We have not yet seen a lot of change. I am the main breadwinner with the other half and both adult sons depending on me as they all have health problems & no incomes.
Thankfully, the frugal habits we have acquired over the years are proving useful. We have made a habit of never living up to our income and this has given us a degreee of inflation cushioning. We are trying to grow more and use less but are OK for now.
We are all acutely aware that all this is only good while my job lasts & keeps paying. I can't see the job vanishing anytime soon but if my health went we would be in for a tough time.
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

I’m with Grenfell, ‘steady as’ probably sums me up.

We are as prepared as any person living in suburbia, if anything maybe a wee bit more. We have money concerns same as the rest of the country but we should be able to ride them out okay. My job is recession proof (social care) and if the wife is made redundant, we have back up plans.

My only concern is the failing state of my knees. I’m slightly overweight and I fractured my femur in a car crash in my 20’s, the years have been okay but this year, my knees have started to throb like mad. Voltarol and cocodamol ease most of the pains but I don’t really fancy being on painkillers from now on. I spoke to my uncle who is the closest male blood relation I have, he said it’s just part of ageing as he was the same at 50. Any advice folks?
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Kiwififer wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:56 pm I’m with Grenfell, ‘steady as’ probably sums me up.

We are as prepared as any person living in suburbia, if anything maybe a wee bit more. We have money concerns same as the rest of the country but we should be able to ride them out okay. My job is recession proof (social care) and if the wife is made redundant, we have back up plans.

My only concern is the failing state of my knees. I’m slightly overweight and I fractured my femur in a car crash in my 20’s, the years have been okay but this year, my knees have started to throb like mad. Voltarol and cocodamol ease most of the pains but I don’t really fancy being on painkillers from now on. I spoke to my uncle who is the closest male blood relation I have, he said it’s just part of ageing as he was the same at 50. Any advice folks?
I've had knee problems for a long time. About 5 years ago I put 3 stone on (had to give up being self employed, and couldn't do any work for a year), and that didn't help. I lost it last year by counting calories in an app. I still use the app to make sure I don't gain weight again. Still got the knee problems, but 3 stone less weight on them. I don't take any pain killers. They only really hurt when I walk. Also I have trouble straightening one leg if it's been bent for ages eg when asleep.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

T'other half has had a lot of problems with his knees. Several operations and a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis later this is what he has found to be helpful. He is now glad he was too young for knee replacements when first diagnosed as the management system he has worked out is giving better results than the knee replacements his older friends have had

1) Learn to move in ways that dont stress your knees but DO keep moving them. He has almost no cartilage left but is able with a frequent, careful exercising to get the knees behaving almost as well as if he does have cartilage. He has to redo this work after every rheumatoid flare. The motto is "Use it or lose it". His exercise with the best benefits is Tai Chi, done daily.

2) Do lose weight. Taking about 3 stone off his frame has really helped.

3) Investigate different painkillers. you may be better with Voltarol gel than taking stuff internally. Or one of the herbal remedies may be good. Do take good advice from someone qualified to help. It was the steady diet of diy ibuprofen that resulted a heart/blood pressure scare so don't try to live on over the counter stuff without advice.