Help with garden allotment

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
Quill

Help with garden allotment

Post by Quill »

Bought a house there at the end of last year and it's got a south facing garden and I'm just wondering about what's the best way to lay it out, I've done a quick sketch below

Light grey represents paved areas, brown is grass/soil, the black square is a boiler house and then green will be growing areas. A is the garden as it stands currently, B has a long bed and then 3 north-south aligned raised beds (each bed made up of two back to back 1.2x2m beds), while C has the raised beds E-W. I have to leave a path up to the oil tank uncovered so that I can still get oil delivered.

Is there going to be much of a practical difference between B or C? I'd prefer B as it means I can get a decent sized shed in the top right corner. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
jennyjj01

Re: Help with garden allotment

Post by jennyjj01 »

Quill wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:54 pm Bought a house there at the end of last year and it's got a south facing garden and I'm just wondering about what's the best way to lay it out, I've done a quick sketch below

Hi,
I'm no gardener, but a difference is that with 'B' is that you could take multiple routes through from the paved area, to the end of the garden, say with a wheelbarrow. But with 'C' you could only walk into the brown area from left to right until you reach the West boundary wall or fence, then you would have to back out the way you came?. Another downside with 'C' seems to be that you are getting less area for your shed and wasting more area in front of your oil tank?
Final downside with 'C' your planters will be closer to the shed and maybe shaded by it, sun predominantly from the south?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Quill

Post by Quill »

jennyjj01 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:11 pm Hi,
I'm no gardener, but a difference is that with 'B' is that you could take multiple routes through from the paved area, to the end of the garden, say with a wheelbarrow. But with 'C' you could only walk into the brown area from left to right until you reach the West boundary wall or fence, then you would have to back out the way you came?. Another downside with 'C' seems to be that you are getting less area for your shed and wasting more area in front of your oil tank?
Final downside with 'C' your planters will be closer to the shed and maybe shaded by it, sun predominantly from the south?
Thanks Jenny, that's exactly what I was thinking, C definitely seems like a worse option. The gap between the beds is 60cm on the plan so should be enough space for a wheelbarrow too.
Zedsdead

Post by Zedsdead »

It’s a B from me! Just works better
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I'm late, but I'm voting B as well - I've been reading up on security arrangements :oops: and the line of sight shown in B means that more of the garden is visible from the house. Toe-rags really do use back gardens for access, often tramping across several back gardens in the meantime.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

So the long bed is on the east side and the house is to the north?

How shaded is the bottom of the garden?

It might be worth putting your shed near to the house and running the beds from the back
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Quill

Post by Quill »

Arzosah wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:23 pm I'm late, but I'm voting B as well - I've been reading up on security arrangements :oops: and the line of sight shown in B means that more of the garden is visible from the house. Toe-rags really do use back gardens for access, often tramping across several back gardens in the meantime.
Good point about security!

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:47 pm So the long bed is on the east side and the house is to the north?

How shaded is the bottom of the garden?

It might be worth putting your shed near to the house and running the beds from the back
Yes exactly, it's quite shaded because basically there's a right of way for the neighbour's bins immediately behind it, then a slope with trees on it.