Budget bob!

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
mcren

Budget bob!

Post by mcren »

Hi guys!

Below are some photos of my current kit for my bob.

Any tips and pointers. I know I'm missing a way of cooking, just ordered a few hexi stoves.

It's a fairly cheap effort but my main preps are for power outages and food / water shortages.

This photo is the entire contents of my bob.

This one is what is inside of my mini mess tin survival kit.

This photo shows my food enough for 2 days or 3 at a push if I was to really stretch it.

Taped to the inside of my survival kit is some fishing line.

Taped to the lid of my survival tin is some fish hooks and weights a razor blade and some small bits of old matches to be used as kindling / tinder.
imgurl

As said above it is a budget attempt.

Any pointers would be great.

Regards

Mcren
ForgeCorvus

Re: Budget bob!

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Not a bad start, I'm seeing lots of Fire and a fair quantity of Food.

Shelter is basic but adequate as long as it doesn't get too cool, you really need a sleeping bag or blanket in there.

We like lists along side pictures. I'm not sure what some of the things are, but in case you missed them theres a couple of things I'd add

Water, a canteen or bladder and some way of making it safe (Boiling is your back-up)

Light, battery torch or a handcrank

Socks, you can wear the same clothes for a few days but if you're travelling any distance fresh socks are great

Navigation, decent map and a compass (learn to use them now, or at least refresh your skills)

What have you got it all packed in and whats the total weight ?
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

2nd picture middle left is that picture wire with a view to making snares?

If so, without a set of pliers or a multi-tool I'd suggest ditching it and buy or preferably making your own snares and storing them premade (You can pickup suitable wire at hobbycraft for a few £).

Those £1 shop emergency shelters are like sleeping in a crisp packet, any wind or rain and you'll know about it.

Porridge oats (get the packets of the sachets 2 make a hearty breakfast)

Folding saw for wood/fuel processing (£3-£4 asda or lidl) light weight and uses less calories than chopping.

Other than that I'd say a good start ;)
If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.
christof

Post by christof »

Just one word of caution from looking at the second picture. I used to have two of that perticular multi tool, both of them fell apart very quickly in the same manner. One of the pins which holds the different layers together popped out rendering it useless so you might want to replace it with a more rebust one. I have a Classic Swiss Army Knife that has outlasted them both. Had it for over 10 years and the only thing wrong with it is I snapped the tip off the knife which was my own fault. But regardless it still works a treat.