Hi Forum - Looking to produce my own Bug Out Bag

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
SilentPenguin

Hi Forum - Looking to produce my own Bug Out Bag

Post by SilentPenguin »

Hi all!

Im looking to produce my own bug out bags, does any one have any recommendations for items you put in yours that most standard ones dont? or items you would want to see in a store bought bag? Im looking to make first for my family then make and sell on as cheaply as possible so its at least affordable. Money isn't a major factor i own a few businesses so im not looking to profiteer simply i have seen some bags selling for stupid money and feel people like me who do not know where to start have to pay a massive premium for a commercial kit (just so you know my angle!)

Once things take a hold i would be happy to give away a full kit on the forum.

ATB

SP
pseudonym

Re: Hi Forum - Looking to produce my own Bug Out Bag

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

Have a look in this section of the Forum:

viewforum.php?f=42

The problem with a BOB is that they are all personal to the person who owns one.

For example, mine would have:

something to carry it in
something to sleep under
something to sleep in
something to sleep on
something to cook over
something to cook in
something to carry water
method of lighting fire
food and water
medical kit
illumination
wash kit
clothing
knife and axe
navigational equipment.

Someone else would have a change of clothes, a book and stay the night in a Hotel

HTH
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
SilentPenguin

Post by SilentPenguin »

Thanks for the reply, i guess ill include that hotel review mag now ;)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

SilentPenguin wrote:Thanks for the reply, i guess ill include that hotel review mag now ;)
You're welcome.:)

Not a bad idea.

I have a list of Emergency telephone numbers including some local Hotel/Motel/B&Bs.

In case I have to leave my house I can start making calls immediately
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Briggs

Post by Briggs »

Some idiot will come on the thread and say any GHB and BOB must contain a pencil sharpener. Igmore him, he doesn't have a bl**dy clue :D
I recently experienced Plymouth City centre so that's why I prep.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

I think a GHB or a BOB is something specific and personal to each of us, I know it is to me, we are not all going to be carrying exactly the same things? it depends on our own plans, lifestyle and how far we have to travel-either getting home or bugging out! or is that just me?? :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

for some reason I keep double posting :lol:
Adapt or Die, there is no middle ground.
mallie99

Post by mallie99 »

lonewolf wrote:for some reason I keep double posting :lol:
Excited, probably ;)
Entirely certain that nothing is certain

ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I can list a few things that I think shouldn't be in an off-the-shelf kit if that helps?

Magnesium block and firesteel
I don't know how you're supposed to use them, the scraper blade they give you is not up to dealing with the Mag. and is too harsh on the firesteel/ferro rod (the rod is normally far too small as well). I have seen a couple of posts (on a few sites) complaining that the cheap ones are total crap (magnesium alloy at best).
A good chunky ferro rod and maybe a couple of butane lighters would be better

Wiresaw
They look like a great idea......They're not.
They kink and break, they're a PITA to store and they're either stupid money or cheap and nasty.
Go with either a folding saw (laplander or something like) or a Sawzall blade in a handle (assuming that wood cutting is part of your plans)

Iodine water treatment
Bad idea, Iodine shouldn't be used for people with some medical conditions (Thyriod problems and Pregnancy for examples).
Stick to Clorine based treatments or get a Purifier (not just a Filter)

Does that help?

Edited to be correct. Pregnant women and quantities of Iodine are a bad mix.
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Cromicon

Post by Cromicon »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Iodine water treatment
Bad idea, Iodine should be used for people with some medical conditions (Thyroid problems for examples).
Partially quoted. Just for clarity, potassium iodide can be used to "fill up" your thyroid gland so that it doesn't absorb any radioactive iodine that might be present in the environment.These tablets should be taken in the prescribed dose daily until the danger of radioactive fallout has passed.

Iodine is usually contained in our normal diet and is actually vital to maintain normal thyroid function. Given that we are usually so well looked after in terms of food and nutrition in the western world, using iodine as an everyday additive among the population is no longer done. But it could be borne in mind if SHTF. Right here and now talk to your doctor. Read here for more info: http://www.btf-thyroid.org/index.php/th ... -factsheet

ForgeCorvus is absolutely correct in stating that water should be filtered AND purified.