Treat in the BOB

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
bettersafethansorry

Treat in the BOB

Post by bettersafethansorry »

Ive got myself a large metal hip flask with some 22 year old single malt in it, is this a waste of space or do you also have some morale or comforts in your BOB's?
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Arzosah

Re: Treat in the BOB

Post by Arzosah »

I think you'd have to be very careful when you used it - some people have had problems with alcohol in the past; it can dull your awareness ever so slightly, and I'm never sure whether its an old wives tale or not that it opens the pores and encourages heat loss, but I wouldn't want to find out if I was stuck out in the cold somewhere ... I have a BOB that enables me to cope with evacuating in case of a house fire, not an "out in the wilds" BOB, and the treat in there is a packet of dried apricots :)
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

It's your BOB.

You've got to carry it.

I used to carry a libation or two, nowadays I prefer something which will give a sugar rush to keep me going.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

Hip flask of whiskey in a bob...........of course I always carry one purely medicinal of course ;) in fact I tell my wife it aids in my recovery from long walks :D
AREA 10
bettersafethansorry

Oldarborman wrote:Hip flask of whiskey in a bob...........of course I always carry one purely medicinal of course ;) in fact I tell my wife it aids in my recovery from long walks :D
Legend.... now i also have an excuse,

with reguards to dulling the sences i can see it from a hip flask a few swigs to keep the chill off, im one who would fall down after 3-4 pints of popular larger but gimme half a bottle of Jameson's and i will still be able to hold a coherent conversation... lol
We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.
- Sir Winston Churchill
BristolDave

Post by BristolDave »

We've got a big bag of sweets in our BOB (more of an 'evac sack' really). This is purely for a morale boost for the kids and us if we have to evacuate quickly.

I always used to take a hip flask when hill walking and never had a problem with the cold :)

BD
Oldarborman

Post by Oldarborman »

bettersafethansorry wrote:
Oldarborman wrote:Hip flask of whiskey in a bob...........of course I always carry one purely medicinal of course ;) in fact I tell my wife it aids in my recovery from long walks :D
Legend.... now i also have an excuse,

with reguards to dulling the sences i can see it from a hip flask a few swigs to keep the chill off, im one who would fall down after 3-4 pints of popular larger but gimme half a bottle of Jameson's and i will still be able to hold a coherent conversation... lol
:lol: :lol: great stuff personally I'm a single malt man, and for interest lidl single malt is'nt that bad either, but if I a REALLY treating myself it has to be longmorn mmmmmmmmmmm
AREA 10
bettersafethansorry

My weakness at the moment seems to be glenlivet after a friend got me a bottle for birthday but if im lucky i will get myself a 15-18 tomatin
- Sir Winston Churchill
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
KrisWard

Post by KrisWard »

Hey guys, just wanted to add that Alcohol doesnt actually help keep the cold at bay, it has the apperance of doing but doesnt. I looked into this when I was adding some to my first aid kits.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/27 ... ol_warmth/

Cheers