firdge without electricity

Considering, or completed a DIY prepper project? Made something using traditional methods? Post it here!
dch

firdge without electricity

Post by dch »

found this on an american forum, i guess you could make one up out of plant pots if you blnaked the holes,
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/chris/2 ... ricity.htm

knoledge weighs nothing and can always be carryd with you.
Carrot Cruncher

Re: firdge without electricity

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Will have to try that sometime and see if it works over here in our climate. Knowing how to extend the life of food, whether it is in that sort of system or by smoking, drying, canning etc would be essential in any long term breakdown. Generators may be good short term but require fuel.... and in the long term food may not be in such good supply that you can afford to grow crops for fuel instead of eating.
pol76

Post by pol76 »

What a great simple idea I will try this next summer to see if it works

Thanks for posting

max
Scablifter

Post by Scablifter »

This is the kind of information I joined this site for, good research DCH, Thank you :ugeek:
Big fat bill

Post by Big fat bill »

I use this method in my house and don't have a fride or freezer as both knacked up. It's a bit of a pain because milk lasts about 3 days, butter / marg stays cool but not solid and depending on the marg used it does become hard to spread on bread more of a case of pouring it on the bread. Cooked meats are about 1 day and fish, don't even think about it.

Fruit and veg are better on the worktop and it's a good idea if you can dig a hole in the garden to put the pot in at night if you have say cans of pop but not fresh food. If not keep it close to a north facing wall or on a floor if tiled and it stays colder longer. The thicker the wall of sharp sand the better and of course when you refill the water use potable water that is as cold as possible.

You will spend a week throwing food away and thinking it is not worth it but then you go daily shopping and eating a lot fresher food and a greater variety.
Technik

Post by Technik »

Great and simple idea!
JohnRio

Post by JohnRio »

Excellent! :D

Taking adavantage of any microclimate cool spots in your house or garage helps too. In the boat there was a spot in the engine room that was bare to the steel hull, so it was kept cool by the river. I just kept my milk, marg, cheese and yoghurt in a big metal box stood on that patch of hull. Except in the very height of summer (when milk would only lat 24hrs in it) it worked fine!