Free First AId / Medical training

Medical and Healthcare
madmedic

Free First AId / Medical training

Post by madmedic »

I have been asked by a few people now about various bits of medical training.. i was thinking of trying to run a weekend course at some point this year covering Basic first aid refresher and then going onto a little bit more useful stuff for SHTF. thinking basic battlefield stuff, wound care / minor injuries. if i did this i would not charge a fee just want out of pocket expenses (eg venue costs and travel if it was a long way)

is anyone interested. PM me if you are (those who i have already spoken with no need to reply.

also ask if there are any specific things you would like to cover.
Give a man fire and he will be warm for a day..
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..
poppypiesdad

Re: Free First AId / Medical training

Post by poppypiesdad »

mm you have a pm

jamie
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

also potentially can add a section of training on herbal remidies
TopCatUK2

Post by TopCatUK2 »

Sent you a pm. Are there any online resources/books you would recommend in particular as aprep for this sort of course? What would you recommend as 'musy haves' for a bookshelf?
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

as for pre study we will start basic and get more technical so any level of experience. i have 3 instructors who will split into small groups of students to work at the level of that group. hopefully all ending at the same point

as for books.. there are so many to chose from. what level are you aiming to get to? the red cross first aid manual is a good first aid book. covering all the basics and a lot of extra.

i quite like the "US Army 68W manual" it is just a more militarized version of "nancy caroline care in the streets" that paramedics use
"minor injuries - a guide for nurses" is an excellent book for that kind of stuff
the "merck manual" has a lot of GP kind of stuff
and of course a copy of the BNF or Mimms for medicines

if you download the old us army manuals watch out as some are 1970s a lot of good stuff but a lot is out of date

now i have been asked i will dig out links to some medical books
Brunel

Post by Brunel »

TopCatUK2 wrote:Sent you a pm. Are there any online resources/books you would recommend in particular as aprep for this sort of course? What would you recommend as 'musy haves' for a bookshelf?
Another good resource is the "Ship Captain's Medical Guide". It was intended to provide the ship's master with the ability to diagnose and treat injured matelots; to serve as an on-board text book for all First Aid matters, and as a training guide for other members of the ship's crew. Very simple to follow, excellent illustrations and very practical guidance.
madmedic

Post by madmedic »

Very true and also a good book along with the ships corpsman.. Another free one is where there is no doctor and where theRe is no dentist. Both free and easy to use. For self help medical books look at some of the WHO and MSF guides. They have loads on camp hygine and dealing with dead bodies..

The more you think about it the more books there are.. I think there is a post on some of the free ones on here