toothache

Medical and Healthcare
susannem55

toothache

Post by susannem55 »

Hi Everyone, I get problems with a tooth which flares up every so often. Over xmas I had an infection and a fat face. Any ideas about what I should do if this happens post SHTF? Can I take anything in my first aid kit that could help me? My dentist refuses to extract as 'it's not that bad'! Thanks Sue
Arzosah

Re: toothache

Post by Arzosah »

Ouch! Clove oil springs to mind ... antibacterial syrup for the infection ... gargling with salt ...

If the dentist won't extract, what *will* they do? How can you help yourself now, what can they advise? I feel for you!
redskies

Post by redskies »

Clove oil is good, so is peppermint. The infection is worrying. You never, ever mess with a tooth infection/abcess; it's far too close to your brain and could, potentially, cause serious problems. Can you get your dentist to specify what kind of infection it is and where it's located?

For any kind of infection, echincea can help. It's easily available, easily grown and easily used. For tooth/mouth infections, a mouthwash of cooled, boiled water, crushed garlic and salt might help. As might honey, as long as it's not pasteurised to death.

Do go back and bother your dentist if it happens again. It's not a good thing to have keep on happening, and there should be something they can do about it. If necessary, get a second opinion from a different dentist.

Side note; I use a lot of herbs and essential oils. Is anyone interested in my personal medicine box list? If so, I'll do my best to put something together :)
unsure

Post by unsure »

other than over the counter stuff ,nuerofen [sp] all i can think of is you need to find another dentist .
you can stock fish antibiotics , these are available on line .
i have a habbit of loosing fillings at the most inconvenient times , usually when i`m away . last this happened i found an emergancy dental kit in asda , cost about 7 pound i think it was that lasts for about 8 weeks before it wares away . i`ll be getting a few more to put away . :)
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tom2tom

Post by tom2tom »

Dentist obviously! But if you want something in between my mums home recipe was peanut-butter (which is basically has other peeps home recipes above) :)
Last edited by tom2tom on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me all i am and all i want to be!
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

There is a reason why this is happening. See a proper dentist you might need to see a hygienist to sort out a perio problem. Meantime,not pshtf get some cordosyl daily this should help meantime.
junmist

Post by junmist »

SNAPE Sue I had a tooth taken out before Christmas and got an infection in it, my dentis gave me 5 days supply of anti biotics which did not get rid of it still in pain on Christmas Eve I phoned up the dentis who was not there :x The Saturday before I had picked up The Herbal Drugstore by Linda B Whie and Steven Foster in it I found this.
1 drop of Clove oil - pain
2 Drops of German camomile essential oil - infection fighting
1/2 teaspoon goldenseal powder - infection fighting
Mix the goldenseal essential oils with a few drops of water until a thick paste forms. Dab on the affected area with a cotton bud. Apply no more than 4 times aday untell you can see your doctor.
Being Christmas Eve I had neither camomile or goldenseal luckly they gave afew other option

Garlic Bacteria fighting-bruise and hold next to the infection this my sting a little remove if it hurts

Turmeric Antibacterial and anti inflammatory this I had so I mixed 1 drop of clove oil 1/2 teaspoon of tumeric and a few drops of water to make a paste and just put it on 4 times a day pain stopped and it seems to have cleared up most of the infection I will be going to the dentis this friday to find out if it has cleared all of the infection up.
Hope this helps
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
junmist

Post by junmist »

Sorry that should be Linda B White :oops:
AREA's 5-6 and 4
Feet the original All Terrain Vehicle
Maddosammo

Post by Maddosammo »

Going slightly off topic, my great great grandad or great grandad. I'm not 100% sure was a bit of a herbalist and had a saying, that for every disease or infection there was a plant that could fight it and heal you. But we're cutting down so many trees and destroying hundreds of unknown undiscovered plant species so we may never know the true extent of what plants may hold.

I apologise if I've taken this too far of topic.
Sam

Area 9
12mp82

Post by 12mp82 »

susannem55 wrote:Hi Everyone, I get problems with a tooth which flares up every so often. Over xmas I had an infection and a fat face. Any ideas about what I should do if this happens post SHTF? Can I take anything in my first aid kit that could help me? My dentist refuses to extract as 'it's not that bad'! Thanks Sue
Have they done root canal work on it yet?

Post SHTF, go and see a dentist, there will still be a fair few around, just the techniques will be a bit different :o Open wide :shock:
Stop, Read, absorb, understand, reply.