My Bug Out vehicle

Logistics and Transport
bart69

My Bug Out vehicle

Post by bart69 »

Hi.This is my bug out vehicle.

http://s1116.photobucket.com/albums/k56 ... Northstar/

MODS
ten tonne winch,snorkel diff locks,solar power,suspension lift and upgrade,32" tyres with16 x 8 inch rims.
power chip,4x4 hi and lo range.
THE POD
all season insulated pod
central heating gas hob microwave,fridge freezer,all usual motorhome stuff really.
i have added a 2.4 kw inverter,3 gell batteries all equipment works either from solar,battery,gas or mains or all four.
special equipment carried.
ground anchors.waffle boards,extra fuel,extra water to the 30 gal tank onboard,.My extensive Bug out BAG.Usual stuff you have seen a thousdand times.
I also have several stashes within a 100 mile radius .fuel,energy, food ,batterys, tools etc.
I have another some 200 miles away.
If the day does ever arrive my family and I may just have a chance.......
mrboom

Re: My Bug Out vehicle

Post by mrboom »

Not a great lover of Fords. Id have a Land Rover over a Ford anyday. However... I think that is a great vehicle for the end of the world. Looks so Cool. Nice job mate. :-)
-----------
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill.
-----------
Mr Boom.
unsure

Post by unsure »

looks nice and cosy , just one observation , its white . its going to stand out abit anywere except for a camp site . :)
its nothing a good sized camo net can`t fix :lol:
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
tigs

Post by tigs »

very nice
Ready for Anything

http://autonopedia.org/ if still out try facebook https://www.facebook.com/Autonopedia

Area 8

Post by 90. »

very nice set up, is there much roll with the pod on?
you may want to make/source a cover for the winch as synthetic cable degrades with sunlight(UV), also a low drum picks up lots of road grit and water this will also degrade the rope.

The rope will pick-up water in the strands and then the lower wraps of rope on the drum will cause the winch drum to rust, then the rope will stick to it. ask me how i know. :(
I have re-fitted the steel cable to my winch as i found the synth required lots of care to make it last and work when needed.

make sure you spool it out and re-tension the rope once in a while and you'll be surprised at the amount of water it will shed.

OR once in a while unspool the rope remove the hook and place rope in pillow case(old one) and pop it in the washing machine on cool wash with pure soap flakes - best do it when wife is out.! :roll:

once again nice ride, truck looks great on those BFG A/T's.
regards
Technik

Post by Technik »

When I saw the first couple of pictures I thought it's a normal campervan, but it's a 4x4 camper...yyy thingy. I don't quite get the concept of 4x4 campers but this one looks very all-in-one which I like. How much stuff can you put on that Ranger? I mean on top of the "house" (are they called pods? ) how much weight can you add? How heavy are the seperate elements?
I'm saving for a typical campervan.
Aldebon

Post by Aldebon »

I think this would make an ideal adventure/explorer vehicle but nothing more.

ISHTF the last thing you would want is your chosen vehicle above, now let me explain...

1. The vehicle has an immoboliser, and a chipped key :oops: , so if you loose the key for whatever reason, you are screwed. Furthermore keys are prone to loosing there code if they have not been used for a long period of time. The key is also programmed to the ecu, ouch!

2. Common rail....

3. (The most crucial) The ford has an ECU :evil: , the ecu relies on gathering information sourced from various sensors located around the engine, I've seen plentyful vehicles day in-out with ecu related problems therefore rendering the ford useless.

I believe you would have been far better off in investing your efforts in a Peugeot XU diesel engine put into a daihatsu sportrak. You can start this engine on a pallet with no ecu and just a primer pump, these engines will last 300,000 miles excess if treated properly, purely mechanically operated with no electronic interference. Believe you me, your ford won't last long as it's an electronically assisted engine, good for the modern drive but not for the prepper.

Sorry to be critical but I wanted to share my years of knowledge in the motor trade