Seeking waterproof backpack cover for 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 (55L)

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
space.gamer

Seeking waterproof backpack cover for 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 (55L)

Post by space.gamer »

Sometimes the simple things seem the hardest to do...

I'm looking for a waterproof backpack cover for my 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 (55L). There are many large waterproof covers on Amazon but none I've seen seem to fit this pack, as most of them are limited in width.

My Rush 72 measures pretty much 60cm h x 60cm w x 32cm l, so the height and width are pretty much the same length.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

If I can't get a proper cover, I'm NOT going to use a rubble bag or bin liner but would consider a poncho. I'd really like to spend no more than £15 on a cover as I will need two. Being picky, I'm wanting black too and would prefer non-reflective logos and the like on the back. I'd also really like some sort of pullcord or tie-system to keep the cover on.

ty in advance.
jansman

Re: Seeking waterproof backpack cover for 5.11 Tactical Rush 72 (55L)

Post by jansman »

I won’t suggest the bin bag then! :lol: Like the ones I keep in my GHB and my fishing bait bag. Of course,you could load the contents in your backpack IN a bin bag and drop it in the rucksack? It’ll save a quid or two. Or is it possible to get a waterproof rucksack,end - of?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

What's the reasoning behind wanting a cover rather than using a sack liner? I've done tons of back packing, always used a pack liner, similar to a rubble bag. Never had anything get wet.

I do have a poncho which should work. It does cover my BOB.
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B074MNVCJR/
But I'd probably just wear a rain jacket, at least outside of a 3 day summer Bugout.

I use an Osprey sack liner (like a massive heavy duty dry bag) plus separate ultralight drybags.

Here is a blue sack cover
https://ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/storm-cell-packfly/
Last edited by Frnc on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

jansman wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:20 pm Of course,you could load the contents in your backpack IN a bin bag and drop it in the rucksack? It’ll save a quid or two. Or is it possible to get a waterproof rucksack,end - of?
No such thing as waterproof rucksacks that I know of, except a little Naturehike packable one I have.
You need to put the sack liner in first. That way you can pack it efficiently, not wasting space. In fact one Alpinist did a video on how you can get more in this way, ie not using separate drybags. I actually use both. But I could ditch the drybags if necessary, as the sack liner is more than good enough. The reason I use both is originally I was going to only use drybags, and they keep things organised and easy to find. But they do waste space because it's like filling your sack with several balls. Lots of air gaps in between. Also it's very hard to get all the air out of the drybags, unless they have a valve, which adds weight.
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

Thx all. I just don’t think a sack liner will work. The Rush 72 is a very compartmentalised bag and I want everything waterproof. I will look at the few suggestions posted tho’ but if they don’t work, perhaps I will just get a few rubble bags and a cable ties and job done. Either that or I can pick up an ‘ok’ poncho on Amazon for not too much.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Can you get yourself to go outdoors or an army surplus store and try their ranges to get a correct size fitting?
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

space.gamer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:50 pm Thx all. I just don’t think a sack liner will work. The Rush 72 is a very compartmentalised bag and I want everything waterproof. I will look at the few suggestions posted tho’ but if they don’t work, perhaps I will just get a few rubble bags and a cable ties and job done. Either that or I can pick up an ‘ok’ poncho on Amazon for not too much.
I thought it might be the compartmentalisation. Hopefully you can find a decent sack cover that works. I've never really thought about it for mine, partly because mine has two big side pockets, and also might have a trekking pole or two on the side, and almost certainly a foam mat underneath.
A poncho would definitely work (depending on the poncho of course), as I say, my poncho does cover my rucksak (though not with the mat underneath as it's quite wide and I don't want to cut it down).
Some trekkers use lightweight umbrellas these days. You can get hands free ones that attack to rucksack shoulder straps. But they aren't cheap and could be a hindrance, or break.
If you use a rubble bag for the main compartment(s), you don't need to tie it with a cable tie, just fold the top over. You want easy access. It will be perfectly waterproof (even more than if it were cable tied) if you have, say, 12 inches excess folded over, tucked down the front or back. For the smaller compartments you can use re-sealable plastic bags or larger ones folded over, or small dry bags. Your first aid kit should be in a dry bag especially made for the purpose, so it's recognisable as a first aid kit.
Things like water bottles, filters, tools, paracord etc don't need to be in anything waterproof.
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

pseudonym wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:07 pm Can you get yourself to go outdoors or an army surplus store and try their ranges to get a correct size fitting?
I should do that. It’s not too hard - there’s a Go Outdoors not too far away.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

A fine rucksack by the way. I Have a Rush 12 as my GHB.
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:32 am A fine rucksack by the way. I Have a Rush 12 as my GHB.
I do like it. I've loaded it up with waaaaaayyyyyy too much I think for my bug-out bag. I've yet it weight it. I will soon. :lol: