New on here

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
Rustyme

New on here

Post by Rustyme »

Hello , I am rustyme or just Russ if you prefer . I am already a prepper . really as I live off grid on my own land and have stepped off the system , years ago now . I am in my mid sixties fairly fit and live on very little money , £20 a week or less sometimes . More info to follow , after I have had a look around the site . Cheers for now .
jennyjj01

Re: New on here

Post by jennyjj01 »

Hi and welcome,
I look forward to your contribution. Sounds like you're a useful guy to know :)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Hello there , I live a very different life to the norm really , not everyone's cup of tea but it suits me . I am very self reliant , normally grow my own food etc but last few years things went wrong , covid being the main one . No work means money , no money meant no seeds , plus I had a long bout of sciatica , evil thing lol. Getting back to normal now though.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

welcome to the forum. Sounds like you're in an enviable position. Trying not to turn too green. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Hello izzy , this may make you go green , I live in a very rural part of west Wales , I have nearly 6acres of land , a couple of springs for my own water supply , a river and peace . I have no electricity , no mains water , no gas or any mains anything . I am connecting to the internet via a mini hub on payg , using an old kindle hd7 . My only form of transport is a bike , sadly lots of hills here . So no bills . I heat the caravan I live in by a Woodburner , this keeps me warm heats water for washing , cooking and coffee etc , and I have free wood for the fire. There are drawbacks to this way of life , but I love it .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rustyme wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:57 pm Hello izzy , this may make you go green , I live in a very rural part of west Wales , I have nearly 6acres of land , a couple of springs for my own water supply , a river and peace . I have no electricity , no mains water , no gas or any mains anything . I am connecting to the internet via a mini hub on payg , using an old kindle hd7 . My only form of transport is a bike , sadly lots of hills here . So no bills . I heat the caravan I live in by a Woodburner , this keeps me warm heats water for washing , cooking and coffee etc , and I have free wood for the fire. There are drawbacks to this way of life , but I love it .
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Envious indeed.
With that lifestyle, you'd have a tough time 'bugging out to the city' :lol: :lol:
When tshtf, we'll all be heading your way. We just have to locate your haven.

You say no electricity. Do you generate the little bit that you need. Are you big on growing food?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Wow, interesting to read about how you live, well and truly bugged out already. Welcome to the forum.
What food you you grow? I tried a few things this year with little success. Managed to grow two types of peas. Mangetouts were the most productive. I got ZERO potatoes! Most other stuff I think slugs ate the seedlings.
My back stops me doing much in the way of gardening though.
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Hello frnc , tell me about it , I broke my neck , back , skull , wrists , collar bones , hips as well as many more , in a horrific car crash back in 1983 , massive head injuries as well . Some of those injuries are hitting back now , but it is what it is , as they . Usually I grow everything I need , spuds , carrots , onions , parsnips , cabbage , kale etc etc . Some years are good some not so , but I get enough to live on . I also grow wheat , oats , barley and rye , and some sunflowers for oil , flax for seed and oil and to make cloth for clothes . I have willow for baskets, along with hazel for wattle and daub u
Rustyme

Post by Rustyme »

Sorry about that , wifi went awol for a bit . I can process flax from plant to cloth , hemp , and stinging nettles work well too . The leccy in need to charge the hub and kindle and the phone , I get from next door or at a mates , but anytime now I will be getting a small solar setup , about 100 watts . That should give me enough power to charge them up . So really I have been bugging out for many years , off system , off grid call it what you will , been doing it a long time . I now think that things may go very badly wrong at any time , so am now getting bum into gear just in case .
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rustyme wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:24 pm Usually I grow everything I need , spuds , carrots , onions , parsnips , cabbage , kale etc etc . Some years are good some not so , but I get enough to live on . I also grow wheat , oats , barley and rye , and some sunflowers for oil , flax for seed and oil and to make cloth for clothes . I have willow for baskets, along with hazel for wattle and daub u
This makes you one of the go-to guys for us wannabe food growers. A few of us are just about up to growing a lonesome carrot :) :)
How do you make your food last through into winter? Do you use a rootsafe or do you just eat what's available when it's available?
Or do you maybe do some food bartering?