Another newbie enters…

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
space.gamer

Another newbie enters…

Post by space.gamer »

Hey there, I just wanted to pop by and say ‘hi’. I’m 50 y.o., married and live in Kent. I have very limited prepping experiencing but have watched some YouTube videos over the last few weeks that have got me into prepping. Unfortunately most prepping videos I’ve seen are US-centric so I googled for some UK prepping sites and found this one!

So far, my gear and food storage is going ok but I still have a bit of a way to go before I think “I’m ready”. I’m sure I’ll get to post a photo of my storage and gear soon.

Anyway, nice to meet you all.
pseudonym

Re: Another newbie enters…

Post by pseudonym »

Hello and welcome to the Forum. :)

Just a heads up...... You'll never be ready :mrgreen:

There's always just one more thing.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Hi there, good to see you!

I hate to say this ... if you've bought gear based on what US-centric sites recommend, it might be, um, problematic? Or, not very useful. Some things are always good, of course - food, water, hygiene supplies, gardening tools, energy for heating and cooking.

What kind of thing are you prepping for? Are there any particular issues (bits of Kent are pretty low lying, I think?) What does the county resilience website recommend? Or your insurer come to that - upgrading the hardware on your door, the locks and screws and whatnot, can be very helpful. Whatever you're into, there'll be stuff here on the forum, there are *so* many knowledgeable people here.
space.gamer

Post by space.gamer »

Thanks for the welcomes so far. And indeed, I take on-board your comments. So far the things I've bought are "universal" (water is water, rice is rice, a bag is a bag, etc.) but I know what you mean. I'll keep specific topics and questions to the appropriate forum area but you will be hearing more from me in comings days and weeks.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Welcome from Merseyside!😃
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

space.gamer wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:50 am Thanks for the welcomes so far. And indeed, I take on-board your comments. So far the things I've bought are "universal" (water is water, rice is rice, a bag is a bag, etc.) but I know what you mean. I'll keep specific topics and questions to the appropriate forum area but you will be hearing more from me in comings days and weeks.
Hi, welcome. I don't think staying on topic is too critical. Takes a long time to be "ready", if one ever is. There's always more to learn. There's no massive rush. Obviously start with the basics, first aid, water, food, torches, candles, maybe some type of camping stove.