using what food comes your way.

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
PreppingPingu

using what food comes your way.

Post by PreppingPingu »

At school the government gives free fruit to 7 and unders. At the school I work at, our kids have been getting gorgeous tomatoes, but guess what, they don't like them! So at the end of this week, I have come home with 6 packets of 10 average sized toms to save them going to waste. Chutney or relish .... mmmm decisions, decisions! Last week it was bananas, as they wouldn't last the weekend. Frozen them to use in smoothies as and when. It is a same the kids aren't eating it, but waste not, want not. You never know what food oportunites may come your way. The reduced section in the supermarke is great, and again you can freeze stuff down week by week till you get enough product to make something.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Arzosah

Re: using what food comes your way.

Post by Arzosah »

PreppingPingu wrote:... you can freeze stuff down week by week till you get enough product to make something.
Thats exactly what I'm doing with fruit from the garden - harvesting a tiny amount each day, 3 - 4 mouthfuls of each, alpine strawberry, raspberry and now blackcurrant (when I can shake the ants off :( ) I'd rather make something for winter than have such a tiny nibble each day.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Couldn't agree more, we are always on the hunt for free or terribly cheap food (I got 8 caulis for a quid this winter) blanch and freeze is our motto!
Knowledge is power
Vespa

Post by Vespa »

There's a veg stall on the local market that sells off cheap anything at 5:30 on a Saturday that might not last till Monday. Even if it looks a bit limp or not it's best it will most probably make great soup, my freezer is full of it and at a fifth the price of supermarket veg'.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

A great deal of the bread and rolls we eat cost 10p or 20p from tesco at the end of the day, buy what I think my chest freezer has space for and use as needed. Just made a gooseberry crumble with some of last years goosies found at the bottom and forgotten about, ok but didn't add enough sugar, a bit tart.

I use things that come my way and my friends know it, so if they are given something they don't want they pass it to me knowing it won't be wasted. Got half a sack of potatoes a couple of weeks ago as neighbour only eating new ones now, nothing wrong with them. Also was given 3 tins of sardines yesterday, don't know where they came from, didn't like to ask, or why they were chucking them out ,(months in date yet).Still to think of something to do with them other than on toast.

It's amazing what you can do with bits and pieces others would discard, my family love"mixed meals" - when I don't have enough of things but lots small amounts in bags in the freezer and cook it and everyone gets a little of each.
fapplan

Post by fapplan »

izzy_mack wrote: I use things that come my way and my friends know it, so if they are given something they don't want they pass it to me knowing it won't be wasted. Got half a sack of potatoes a couple of weeks ago as neighbour only eating new ones now, nothing wrong with them. Also was given 3 tins of sardines yesterday, don't know where they came from, didn't like to ask, or why they were chucking them out ,(months in date yet).Still to think of something to do with them other than on toast.
A tin of sardines, a tin of chopped tomatoes and some spinach mixed into pasta makes a nice, simple and cheap lunch for two people.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

Fabulous! I think that's a great idea to stop food waste, my Nan used to give me tons of food when she found a bargain and couldn't use it all, I remember the 500 tea bags.... She stored them next to the soap powder in her store room till I could get over and collect them :roll: The most horrible taste :? not a bit like Earl Grey, more like Arial Colour :shock: they were undrinkable. Such a waste.
I can't wait for the blackberries again this year and the rose hips 8-)
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Thanks Fapplan, will try that out. I get a lot of free fish, can't remember when I last bought fresh fish and we eat a lot of fish, only need to buy tinned tuna.
I get from a few sources, one from a hobby fisherman - who doesn't eat fish! Was given 4 rainbow trout just yesterday, wonder how much they would have cost me, they were big too. Had a call from another friend saying rasps won't be long till ready if I want to come and pick them, he'll let me know when. Got about 15 lbs from him last year. Yes I did say 15lbs! Another had a blackcurrant bush and couldn't be bothered picking them, I'm hoping they can't be bothered this year either. I did give them both some jam that I made with the fruit, so although they didn't ask for it, it is a bit like barter. I also give others (like the fisherman) cakes when I bake to say thanks for the fish etc.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

izzy_mack wrote:Thanks Fapplan, will try that out. I get a lot of free fish, can't remember when I last bought fresh fish and we eat a lot of fish, only need to buy tinned tuna.
I get from a few sources, one from a hobby fisherman - who doesn't eat fish! Was given 4 rainbow trout just yesterday, wonder how much they would have cost me, they were big too. Had a call from another friend saying rasps won't be long till ready if I want to come and pick them, he'll let me know when. Got about 15 lbs from him last year. Yes I did say 15lbs! Another had a blackcurrant bush and couldn't be bothered picking them, I'm hoping they can't be bothered this year either. I did give them both some jam that I made with the fruit, so although they didn't ask for it, it is a bit like barter. I also give others (like the fisherman) cakes when I bake to say thanks for the fish etc.
That informal bartering arrangement is great, its practical and it also gives you a bit of a network of people which can be mutually beneficial. Since I've got the dogs I've got to know so many people, the amount of "I've got one of them you can have" that comes up in casual conversation surprised me, both ways, yesterday I helped a mate shift his shed and mentioned that Her Maj had her allotment shed broken into and an expensive fork nicked. This morning he gave me a really solid bolt with a built in combination lock on it that he had stuck away and didn't need. If you've got people that you like and trust already, it would make any future SHTF situations a lot easier to deal with, mutual support can go a long way. Its also good to have friends anyway of course.
birds&bees

Post by birds&bees »

They wont even eat bananas?