Even more minimal BoB!

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
neverready

Even more minimal BoB!

Post by neverready »

Still playing around with getting my kit down to an easily manageable weight and size. I think this is as small as I would like to go and only really works by stuffing things in my coat/trouser pockets to supplement it!

The waist pack is from ebay and was 70% off so cost me just under £6. It isn't actually quite as big as I would have liked but the whole point is too keep the weight down. I have a medium sized bag as well as my holdall but I know I will be tempted to pack more into it and increase the weight. Also this bag can be worn as a waist pack or over the shoulder so it scores a few extra points for versatility.

The water bottle is my old favourite pound shop aluminium bottle. It holds around 500ml and is held on to the pack with an improvised attachment made from two ranger bands and a home made "fish mouth spreader" bail. It's not ideal so the water might just end up in a pocket.

There are two small pockets at either end of the bag. These contain my fire kit and SAK and some basic first aid supplies.

There is also another external pocket on the front of the pack. I have a few sundries in there. (Sorry for the blurry pic)

The main compartment does have a secondary mesh pocket but it's pretty cramped in there so I just rammed all everything in! Getting everything back in properly will be a PIA but you can't have everything! :D

I would list everything but I am sure there is nothing there you won't all recognise :)

Things that didn't work out:

I was hoping to get the water bottle in the pack but it just isn't going to happen. It might end up in a pocket instead. Also there is no room for any kind of rations. Again...pockets!

I also wanted to add a dry bag that would hold at least 1 litre of water. That would be perfect for purifying with tablets. Unfortunately it turns out my dry bag leaks like a sieve! I have another two I could try out but they are currently in use.

The last thing is a painters polythene drop cloth so I can create a modified super shelter.

So that's it. For now. I am sure it will change a million times before long :D
Area 5.

Looking for woodland for gear testing/overnighters ;)
Malthouse

Re: Even more minimal BoB!

Post by Malthouse »

Nice tidy kit, I have been supplying packs almost identical to yours for years and they always go down well. I use two, but neither for BOBs - one for a tool bag in the car and the other for my shooting gear.

I especially admire the shemagh, an under carried item IMHO. (I assume thats what it is anyway! lol)
Jimski

Post by Jimski »

I like that a lot! Managed to get a similar pack to yours so you've given me a few ideas. This might end up being my EDC for the car!
neverready

Post by neverready »

Yeah, a shemagh is a great piece of kit, there is so much you can use them for.

I first came across them when getting into airsoft a few years ago. First rate neck protection :D
Area 5.

Trawlerman

Post by Trawlerman »

Looks like a Snugpak Response Pack. Quite a bargain at £6.00 I'd have jumped all over a deal like that! :D
Area 10 - East Yorkshire
Radio Amateur ex-G7NNT now M0NNT

'In Omnia Paratus'
Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Neverready,
You say you want more water carrying for your kit.
Looking at your bag I notice a load of extra kit fastening loops around your bag. Have you considered a military style 800 ml - 1 Lt water bottle in a pouch ?
As far as I can see, if you get a bottle and pouch with an Alice clip fitting then you could easily clip it to one of your bags extra kit loops or wear it on our trouser belt.
My bottle is an 800 ml bottle and pouch with Alice clips and I fit mine to one of my bags kit loops to keep it all together.

Just an idea,
Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
neverready

Post by neverready »

Trawlerman wrote:Looks like a Snugpak Response Pack. Quite a bargain at £6.00 I'd have jumped all over a deal like that! :D
Yup...some pretty good stuff coming out of China at the moment. Their complete disregard for copyright helps keep the price down :D

Still, these are normally closer to £15.

:)
Area 5.

neverready

Post by neverready »

Wulfshead wrote:Neverready,
You say you want more water carrying for your kit.
Looking at your bag I notice a load of extra kit fastening loops around your bag. Have you considered a military style 800 ml - 1 Lt water bottle in a pouch ?
As far as I can see, if you get a bottle and pouch with an Alice clip fitting then you could easily clip it to one of your bags extra kit loops or wear it on our trouser belt.
My bottle is an 800 ml bottle and pouch with Alice clips and I fit mine to one of my bags kit loops to keep it all together.

Just an idea,
Wulfshead
That's an excellent idea! I have 1litre(ish) French army canteen and cup that would fit the bill.

However you gave me a different idea :D I just dug out a molle medic pouch and attached it to the shoulder strap! So now I have room for my small bottle, home made tin can billy and a 3 day ration pack!

Area 5.

Wulfshead

Post by Wulfshead »

Neverready,
Happy to help, happy days :)

Wulfshead
Area 4 Coordinator

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack
moocher

Post by moocher »

I was looking at a similar bag on a well known auction site,that fitted onto a bikes handlebars.as well as shoulder carried and waist attached.