Ultimate 2oz tobaco tin kit!

Got a question or suggestion about an EDC/BOB/GHB item, chat about it here.
munchh

Ultimate 2oz tobaco tin kit!

Post by munchh »

Do you use tobaco tin kits, if so what is in yours?

Long story short....

My uncle is 60 next week, he gave me his TA 2oz tobaco tin kit when he left the TA and a belt and pouch to keep it in, i was about 10, he also took me and my cousin up the woods to chop and burn stuff (very early bushcraft :D )

So i've put a 2oz tin kit together for his 60th, with all ive now learnt i recon ive done the best one ive ever done.

The kit is to try and cover everything so its not task specific, but more a bit of fun for the man who has everything, although i have done myself one the same and i will be sticking it in my pocket, or in the leather belt pouch my mate is making for it.

29 items and i dont have to jam the lid on.

2oz tobacco tin,
ranger band,
whistle,
credit card multi tool (missing from the picture),
credit card mirror,
credit card magnifier,
sewing kit,
button compass,
led button torch,
key ring ring,
mini fire steel,
army type can opener (strikes the steel as well),
small candle,
matches (windproof)
matches (swan red tip)
small lighter,
cotton wool with Vaseline,
note paper,
pencil,
string wrapped on pencil,
ear plugs,
no.10 scalpel blade,
4x fishing hooks on line,
8' senne twine,
1x large plaster,
2x small plasters,
2x moist wipes,
reusable press lock bag,
2x water purifying tablets.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
munchh

Re: Ultimate 2oz tobaco tin kit!

Post by munchh »

The one above is what i came up with trying to cover everything, but it has got my brain hurting, can i put together a real useful kit covering all the usual, to coin a phrase "the 5 c's" or even 10?
The 5 c's:
CUTTING,
COMBUSTION,
COVER,
CONTAINER,
CORDAGE

the 5 to make it 10 c's:
COMPASS,
COTTON BANDANA,
CANDELING,
CLOTH/SAIL NEEDLE,
CLOTH TAPE,
not sure about these but its somewhere to start, so i'm going to have a think and mabie its just about tweeking what i hacve as i'm covering all but most.

What do you recon?
AREA 3
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Malthouse

Post by Malthouse »

Very tidy indeed :)

I have a couple of the small tins, but I tend to use them for dull things like rubber gloves or keeping small things from getting lost rather than an EDC in their own right. But after seeing this I am going to have to put one together!
munchh

Post by munchh »

thanks,

i had thought about putting some together for Christmas gifts last year, but never did, but its easy to have one of these in your glove box, i recon "cover" is the only thing i've not got in there although i tried, i recon you could get an emergency blanket in there if you rethought a few things.... :?:

I remember my Uncle's one that he gave me being more "brew kit" than survival kit, i have one like that in my responce pac.
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

just found some little fishing weights in the £ shop, that makes 30 items, for my uncles one anyway. :)
AREA 3
IfInDoubt

Post by IfInDoubt »

What's a ranger band?
Rogers: "Stark, we need a plan of attack"
Stark: "I have a plan; ATTACK!"

A man without at least one sharp pointy thing and the ability to start a fire is just a cold whining hairless ape
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

IfInDoubt wrote:What's a ranger band?

inner tube tyre from a bike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8XvhWEyKhc
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Decaff

Post by Decaff »

munchh wrote:thanks,

i had thought about putting some together for Christmas gifts last year, but never did, but its easy to have one of these in your glove box, i recon "cover" is the only thing i've not got in there although i tried, i recon you could get an emergency blanket in there if you rethought a few things.... :?:

I remember my Uncle's one that he gave me being more "brew kit" than survival kit, i have one like that in my responce pac.
You could glue the emergency blanket pack to the bottom of the tin? Good strong glue should keep it in place or put into a plastic envelope and glue that to the tin? Just an idea.
Behind every great man is an even greater woman. She carried you, raised you and made you who you are.
munchh

Post by munchh »

not a bad idea either, just means its not in the kit, although if you glue it to the tin and then want to boil water in the tin.....

It makes the tin less usefull.
Last edited by munchh on Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AREA 3
munchh

Post by munchh »

Oh and yeah Ranger bands are rubber bands made out of cutting an innertube up, called ranger bands as so i understand they were first used by US Rangers in Vietnam to stop the metal buckles on there Alice packs from letting the Vietkong know they were coming!

They are also very good tinder and will light wet.
AREA 3