How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: Domestic Budget

Post by diamond lil »

Menu plans then a shopping list work for us :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:20 pm Menu plans then a shopping list work for us :mrgreen:
Excellent Lil.Thanks. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Jansman It sounds as if you are doing all the right things. Taking action before finances become a problem is more than half the battle.
I was wondering if you can you squeeze a small kettle on top of your woodstove? Might save getting the Kelly kettle out so much for your tea.
jansman

Post by jansman »

GillyBee wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:26 pm Jansman It sounds as if you are doing all the right things. Taking action before finances become a problem is more than half the battle.
I was wondering if you can you squeeze a small kettle on top of your woodstove? Might save getting the Kelly kettle out so much for your tea.
That’s true Gilly. I do have a kettle for the stove…

Robert Frost.

Me.
rik_uk3

Post by rik_uk3 »

The first stovetop fan I got was in around 2008 and it cost me over £100, last week Lidl were selling twin fans for £26.

Wood stoves can be great if...you have a year round supply of free or very cheap wood and not pine, not soft woods, you really only want to be burning hard woods. You see nets of wood in shops at £4-£7 a bag and they won't last night so without the constant access to free or very cheap wood these stoves are a false economy.

Depending on the installation you can easily say goodbye to two or three grand...thats a lot of Kwh even at 2023 prices so think long and hard before committing to one.

Also there are or will be changes in the type of stove you can run and they type of wood you can burn because a woodburner typically produces more particulate pollution per hour then an HGV lorry.
Richard
South Wales UK
Retired, spending the children's inheritance.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

rik_uk3 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:04 pm The first stovetop fan I got was in around 2008 and it cost me over £100, last week Lidl were selling twin fans for £26.

Wood stoves can be great if...you have a year round supply of free or very cheap wood and not pine, not soft woods, you really only want to be burning hard woods. You see nets of wood in shops at £4-£7 a bag and they won't last night so without the constant access to free or very cheap wood these stoves are a false economy.

Depending on the installation you can easily say goodbye to two or three grand...thats a lot of Kwh even at 2023 prices so think long and hard before committing to one.

Also there are or will be changes in the type of stove you can run and they type of wood you can burn because a woodburner typically produces more particulate pollution per hour then an HGV lorry.
Yes, I think where I live it's designated as a smoke-free area or something, so you have to use a certain spec of stove and fuel. Decided it was too complicated and expensive. In shtf I guess I could break open the fireplace, build a makeshift hearth and light a wood fire if I was desperate. Next door does have one.
Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Regarding food, I'm trying to keep mine to £100 a month. Last month was actually quite a bit under, but I've only just started adding my whisky separately, so I don't know exactly what it was. I need to cut that down as well. Of course I buy some things in bulk, not every month, eg coffee 500g tin. Bog roll and washing up liquid might not be included, as they might go under Household, which is for non-food eg clothes. Bog roll I get in 48 roll boxes off whogivesacrap. They've jumped up a lot in price actually, I need to weigh up whether to buy it again. I try to buy eco so not necessarily cheapest. I get Ecover washing up liquid in big tubs and decant to an old bottle. Ecover laundry liquid I get on subscription from Amazon. Also I need to stock up on frozen food soon as I've been using up stuff and not bought any recently.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:06 am Regarding food, I'm trying to keep mine to £100 a month. Last month was actually quite a bit under, but I've only just started adding my whisky separately, so I don't know exactly what it was. I need to cut that down as well. Of course I buy some things in bulk, not every month, eg coffee 500g tin. Bog roll and washing up liquid might not be included, as they might go under Household, which is for non-food eg clothes. Bog roll I get in 48 roll boxes off whogivesacrap. They've jumped up a lot in price actually, I need to weigh up whether to buy it again. I try to buy eco so not necessarily cheapest. I get Ecover washing up liquid in big tubs and decant to an old bottle. Ecover laundry liquid I get on subscription from Amazon. Also I need to stock up on frozen food soon as I've been using up stuff and not bought any recently.
Very interesting isn’t it? We too are looking at our changes in a similar way ,and it will make a difference. :D In fact,I feel that what is occurring economically now is a bit of a ‘lesson’ really,as what we consume here in The West is very luxurious by comparison to less developed countries.

Mind you,I am conscious of low pay and folks hitting problems here at the same time.

Robert Frost.

Me.
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

It is definitely going to be a challenge. I am not planning to retire next year which is the beginning of my "retirement window" as the finance does not stack up. Instead I have just accepted a promotion which should help cover the increase in the cost of living and help up the future pension figures as well.
We are spending in the region of £500 a month for 4 people plus some bulk purchases which probably bring the real figure up to £600. Not at the cheap end but we have too many food intolerances and are usually forced to buy the luxury (cr@p free) products as a result.
Bulk buying really helps keep the costs down as long as you can then control how much you are using. I also buy Ecover washing up liquid by the 5l jerry can. Decanting this into an old pump handwash dispensor has helped a lot with how much is used. The same was true for the shampoo & conditioner.
I keep scoops in the oats, flour, rice etc. The scoops were free in the 5Kg packs on gluten free oats and they make it easy for the famiy to see how much they eat when making porridge etc.
It all adds up.

The problem for those on the low incomes is that the cheapest goods have vanished or are consistently out of stock. If I can't get the cheap rice and have to buy the expensive one, I might grouch a bit. But at least I don't have to think about whether to scrap dinner as I can no longer afford to cook it..
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jansman wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 1:18 pm As a result of now being off work,our combined income will drop viciously. I am sure there are other members here who will be in a similar situation,and also sure they will have top tips! :D I am planning on getting better and spending at least six months at home,before moving along to do work. Got to have a plan! So whilst waiting for treatment,I am not being negative,but trying to make positive plans for us.
Frnc wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:06 am Regarding food, I'm trying to keep mine to £100 a month.
I hesitate to post this. It's not meant as any kind of personal attack on Jansman or anyone, while he's down.

I know Jansman was a bit dismissive of a few frugal shopping discussions, recently. Sorry. Jansman, inflation wasn't your priority then, I understand that and it might not be a big deal even now. You said something along the lines of 'whatever happens,and whatever we can hustle for... we will do our best under the circumstances'?
But we can all discover a new fondness for such frugality. My own grocery budget is approx £100 per person per month. That's getting squeezed by inflation and unfortunately this is a fixed income household. So, there's no current opportunities at boosting income with overtime or side hustles.
We are OK at the moment, but looking at a five year inflationary world, we could be in the 'heat or eat' crisis just as old age starts to sink in. Hence my frugality lately. No offense to Jansman, but you might be in for some shocks when planning scenarios. E.g. If MrJJ pegged it, my reduced household income would not cover council tax, energy, and food half as well as it does now and savings are getting devalued by inflation and stock market gyrations. Maybe, (again, no offence Jansman) an inheritance might be just down the line, which might help. Or maybe a big cost like a car failure or domestic crisis could kick in. Suddenly having six months pantry and a fishing and hunting lifestyle might not be enough. Our prepping is only about buying time, isn't it. Setting up a few options and escape routes.

Jansman does right to revisit and address his current domestic budget situation. Just as he helps me with my dumb-a55 veg growing questions, I'll happily nudge him with my frugality tips, until he tells me not to :)

One BIG domestic budget drain has recently woken me up. Not something I suspect affects everyone here, but certainly common in my wider family..... The frequent Costa coffee and cake on the garden centre visit. I realised that these recreational wanders round the mall or shopping centre, or visits to the Range, or wherever were a significant and growing expense. £15 to £25 was disappearing most weeks as 'invisible spending': Simply visiting the Garden centre or the mall or the Range, AFTER having a light lunch at home has had a big impact on spending.
Next week, I'm going to be restarting my use of the 'Too Good To Go' app. That used to feed ME for typically 3 or 4 meals for £3.80 Mr JJ laughed and was not so keen on some of the dietary lucky dips. Needs must.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong