Kit Review! Er, I think. Maxpedition Jumbo.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Meyou

Kit Review! Er, I think. Maxpedition Jumbo.

Post by Meyou »

I'm a bit of a Maxpedition fanboy, I must admit. And for Crimbo the folks bought me a new bag for my EDC, a Maxpedition Jumbo!

Retail price: £75 on Ebay, £85 at Heinnie Haynes, price varies between the two.

Build quality is excellent, very durable 1000D Cordura. Epic stitching.

Main pouch is actually big enough to fit an FM12 respirator with filter attached AND a spare, just tested it for this, although its not what I usually carry in there. Has a pouch for carrying a 1L bottle, although if you don't mind it sticking out the top I believe it will take a 1.5L or even 2L at a push pop bottle (y'know, like coke and stuff comes in). Has plenty of useful pouches, I especially like the one atop the lid, as it perfectly fits my maglite and four or five glowsticks. There's a very handy sheath at the side opposite the bottle carrier which will quite happily accept a survival knife, although I keep my sharpies in it. plenty of Molle style attachment points dotted around it, I've stuck my pocket organiser and a folding dump pouch on them in the pic above, as well as a climbing grade karibiner just out of sight in the photo above.

Its extremely comfortable to carry, plenty of padding, shoulder strap comes with a detachable padding, and if you need to do a lot of activities and don't want it banging about or swinging into things and getting tangled, there's a detatchable waist belt.

Come in various colours, including OG, khaki, black, and random assorted icky colours like....orange...ewwww...

Definitely beats having everything bouncing about in my pockets everywhere!
preppingsu

Re: Kit Review! Er, I think. Maxpedition Jumbo.

Post by preppingsu »

Looks a nice piece of kit - lucky you!
I need to improve how I carry my EDC but not sure what to get. Off to GoOutdoors later so maybe I'll get some inspiration!
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

That looks a quality bit of kit. I probably need to look at something like that (maybe a bit cheaper tho :D ) as at the moment I just tend to have stuff in pockets if i'm wandering up to the shops etc. I have bags in the car and bags at home but nothing really for the inbetween bits other than pockets.
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

Aye, it is a bit pricey. They make a few other bags with roughly the same dimensions but cheaper, cheapest being the K.I.S.S at about £45, but it lacks some of my favourite features. In the middle at £60 is the Maxpedition Jumbo E.D.C. which has a lot of the features of the one I got, but is made of 800D rather than 1000D material, so its a little less durable but lighter! Still pricey, but I reckon having a reliable carry system is very important, as the last thing I want is to have my bag break when I need it most.
Carrot Cruncher

Post by Carrot Cruncher »

Meyou wrote:Still pricey, but I reckon having a reliable carry system is very important, as the last thing I want is to have my bag break when I need it most.
You're right, I have replaced my fleabay special BoB for a Pro-Forces 80L jobbie and the difference in quality and distribution of weight is very noticeable. Maybe I'll ask MrsCC to get me one for my Birthday.
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

I've been eying up a Karrimor Tecmac 50 for a replacement for my aging BOB, I really like how it can split and be used for load carrying, I could see that being VERY useful. plus all those fancy attachment points, and the ol' rocket pouches can be attached to it for additional carryspace!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Karrimor-SF-Ruc ... B0043QMFAA Opinions?
Meyou

Post by Meyou »

So I made a video type thingie of my new bag, and how my current EDC fits into it...then spent TWO FREAKING HOURS waiting for ewetube to upload. -_-

Meyou

Post by Meyou »

Ah, my apologies. Not very used to doing Ewetube vids. Stiffener added! In the form of a ruler!

The map is 1:25,000 Explorer Map, Number 151. Its Laminated and comes with a Posh Gypsy.

Compass, its a Silva Type 4/54, from what the markings on it suggest.

Did not know that Zippo's mess with waterproof linings. Will probably be moving that Zippo into my jacket now, to protect my bags waterproofing.

I've considered buying one of these dang-fangled new sharpeners, and occasionally do, but I always fall back on a stone eventually. Surprisingly, the fasted and easiest way I ever found was a whetstone bit for my powerdrill...it was crazily cool, and brought....everything....up to a blazing sharpness, even things which weren't supposed to be!

Alas no. The radio is on my list of bits to get. Trying to find a cheapie windup/solar which I can charge batteries and stuff off, preferably.
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

Just purchased a Kombat Tactical Shoulder Bag from http://www.militarykit.com/product_cate ... ombat.html
Nice bit of kit and a bit cheaper than the Maxpedition range. Just got to decide what to put in it now.
Area 12 - South Wales
'Hope for the best, plan for the worst'
Jon G

Post by Jon G »

Glad to find that the crusader cup, lid, and water bottle fit my new Kombat Tactical Shoulder Bag, with room to spare.
Attachments
Kombat Tactical Shoulder Bag .jpg
Kombat Tactical Shoulder Bag .jpg (41.18 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Area 12 - South Wales
'Hope for the best, plan for the worst'