Nuclear threat

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
Moorland Prepper

Nuclear threat

Post by Moorland Prepper »

There is talk in the papers that Putin will blow up a nuclear power station in The Ukraine. These stories come along on a regular basis, often on 'slow news' days I suspect.

However unlikely I can't discount it, and have two lots of potassium iodide 65mg, 60 tablets in each. Is there anything else that I can do - looking for simple things that could make a difference?
jennyjj01

Re: Nuclear threat

Post by jennyjj01 »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:44 am There is talk in the papers that Putin will blow up a nuclear power station in The Ukraine. These stories come along on a regular basis, often on 'slow news' days I suspect.

However unlikely I can't discount it, and have two lots of potassium iodide 65mg, 60 tablets in each. Is there anything else that I can do - looking for simple things that could make a difference?
You can't do much short of building a fallout shelter. The KI tablets are not too useful for adults. Precheck recommended dosage, because if tshtf, the man on the internet might not be online. Note there are some rogue KI sellers that conflate miligrams with micrograms deliberately selling useless tablets.

One obtuse defence against a nuclear event in Ukraine would be to stock up on stuff that will soar in price. E.g. fill your freezer with lamb. Stock up on groceries anyway, so you can spend more time bugged in.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Don't go mad ....

Look at the chirnobyl disaster we got some glow in the dark dust fall in some areas but not a massive problem unless you ate the grass...

Prevailing wind / weather are a big issue if it went bang now we'd be fine....

Days after watch the weather and media.. minimize going outside and big in if that worried lower floor

Dad says after chirnobyl it rained for days he wore heavy wet gear and tried to keep out of it where possible

You could go mad and buy Noddy suits and respirators but a house will give good protection if you close the windows and block vents

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/radiation/emer ... inside.htm

Know one thing if we are in the path of the cloud all those who were "exempt" from wearing a mask will not be wearing a badge this time round :lol:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Moorland Prepper

Thanks for the replies. This is what I expected after a bit of Googling but it is always worth asking.

We have been well stocked up on everything that we might need for a year or so. We constantly rotate and update our stocks.
Moorland Prepper

Precheck recommended dosage, because if tshtf, the man on the internet might not be online.
Great advice jennyjo1, and something that I had never considered.

The NHS has a site referring to potassium iodide

https://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/u ... v2.00b.pdf

There's always something new to learn!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Moorland Prepper wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:44 am There is talk in the papers that Putin will blow up a nuclear power station in The Ukraine. These stories come along on a regular basis, often on 'slow news' days I suspect.

I've been wondering about this myself. If there's honest reporting I can find, and it's comparatively heavy amounts getting to us, I'll be staying indoors for a few days, especially if it rains. I might well park a few piles of books in the windows - a good six inches or so of solid paper, can't be bad, and it would only take about ten minutes.

And this might sound a bit mad - I have 3 external doors (front, back, and attached shed) and just like Y/Andy is saying block the vents - I'd put blu tak over the external side of the keyholes. Even a modern keyhole lets a draft in, and if it's something as easy to do as a lump of blu tak, why not? I *might* stay on the ground floor, as opposed to my first floor bedroom, not sure about that. If the numbers seem bad, I might well do. I won't be taking potassium iodide, though - I have one (somewhat expired) bottle, and I might well get that over to my great-niece, she's only 20 months old, I'm a lot less vulnerable to thyroid shenanigans because I'm, erm, so much older than that :twisted:
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

After watching Threads I am unlikely to try and preserve my own life or that of my family members. Radiation sickness looks horrific, not to mention the aftermath of a nuclear attack and I would likely recommend them walking towards the light. Sorry if this offends anyone, but just my personal opinion. My preps are geared more towards inclement weather, redundancy, civil war, utility failure etc.
Growing old disgracefully!
Kiwififer

Post by Kiwififer »

We have all played the ultimate ‘what if the siren goes off?’ game but like others, I would just crack open a bottle of whisky I have tucked away for a rainy day and watch the missile come in.

I can see Edinburgh Castle from my bedroom window and it’s the natural aiming point for the city, a quick flash and ‘see you all on the other side’ would be my likely response as I couldn’t do anything else.

I’m more concerned with other scenarios these days, keeping the lights on during a power cut etc.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Medusa wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:01 pm After watching Threads I am unlikely to try and preserve my own life or that of my family members. Radiation sickness looks horrific, not to mention the aftermath of a nuclear attack and I would likely recommend them walking towards the light. Sorry if this offends anyone, but just my personal opinion. My preps are geared more towards inclement weather, redundancy, civil war, utility failure etc.
It’s an interesting thought. Not offensive at all to me. Our preps are like yours Medusa. Indeed ,right now ,I am building up the common preps to cover my wife when I get called up to my own cloud! :lol:
Unfortunately it takes a serious illness to make you realise you are not invincible. The poor feelings,sickness,and downward spiral are not at all good ,especially when you know it is incurable.
Therefore,survival of a nuclear attack and the life after is not a pleasant thought. Six weeks of radiotherapy radiation made me sick enough! Survival of ten years after a military nuclear blast,such as on Threads , and the subsequent illness would be horrendous.

And unlike the very polite Medusa :D ,if that thought of mine offends anyone,then tough!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

A nuclear attack is very different from what Moorland Prepper was discussing at the start of the thread, and deciding to make a fast exit from this world is a perfectly reasonable response, not a problem. But if it was, say, twice as bad as Chernobyl, or even five times as bad as Chernobyl - that's not the same as a nuclear attack at all.

Staying inside for a few days, thyroid precautions for children, maybe being wary of crops harvested after the event, it would be perfectly survivable.