What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 10

Post by jansman »

Spending an hour a day at the bench saw cutting firewood. Literally slinging it in an unused aviary. There’s gonna be enough for at least two Winters for my wife then. That’s a prep! :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

jennyjj01 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:33 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:42 pm Planted my egyptian Walking onions into pods.
One has sprouted multiple sprouts to about a centimetre. I'm calling that one baby Kleo
One has popped it's nose out from the compost by barely a millimetre. I'm calling that one Milli.
This puts me in my happy place, so I bore you with my baby photo's:
ONE DAY of growth of Milli and Kleo :o :o :o :D :D :D :D
Both1.jpg
[edit 12 Jan]
I'm not going to post photo's every day, but today, I can say that Kleo and Milli have more than doubled in size in two days! Two more cloves have sprouted and not far behind Milli. So..... 4 cloves out of 24 (10 paid for, 14 free) so far are sprouted. Another 3 look like they'll show green tomorrow.
[/edit]
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

Well today i managed to get 6 rows of garlics in the raised bed and i still have 4 new solid bulbs sat over water trays to sprout and go in later to get a longer crop of garlic .

I have also just put in a choclate cherry cake with white choc chips added in and on top lol yer yer doc you said my arteries are not that blocked so i am helping it lol , i have also made 4 huge bread and butter puddings with fruit and also i make mine with a egg custard mix to make it a little more luxury lol yup well when i can eat i will have some with custard on top lol , the others i will more likely hand 2 out to neighours lol their kids love them and the mum is a nurse and the hubby works long hours so we try and help out .

I also did al ittle in the poly tunnel more parsley to dry lol and planted some camomile plants for the lawn in spring and a few yarrow plants to the herb pots lol omg busy spring will soon be here
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

steptoe wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:31 pm Well today i managed to get 6 rows of garlics in the raised bed and i still have 4 new solid bulbs sat over water trays to sprout and go in later to get a longer crop of garlic .

I also did al ittle in the poly tunnel more parsley to dry lol and planted some camomile plants for the lawn in spring and a few yarrow plants to the herb pots lol omg busy spring will soon be here
OI !!!!!!
Don't you try to outsow me!
Everybody's telling me not to sow yet and here you are planting stuff! Still. Yah Boo! I got the drop on you with my garlic out there already.
You sprout your bulbs as bulbs, then split them when you plant out?
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:21 pm
steptoe wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:31 pm Well today i managed to get 6 rows of garlics in the raised bed and i still have 4 new solid bulbs sat over water trays to sprout and go in later to get a longer crop of garlic .

OI !!!!!!
Don't you try to outsow me!
Everybody's telling me not to sow yet and here you are planting stuff! Still. Yah Boo! I got the drop on you with my garlic out there already.
You sprout your bulbs as bulbs, then split them when you plant out?
LOl no hon i had 30 od smallish garlic cloves in the fridge i put in a pot and forgot lol don't ask the wife found them the other day all got nice green tips and a few even had a small amount of growth lol they went in the raised bed today and then i put the cover over to warm the soil more lol , i put 4 large jumbo bulbs over water i saw it on the tube and then you just split and plant later , i also save all the little cloves throw in a pot then what grows grows lol .

I do get ahead start to because of the grow lights in the kitch and the poly tunnel i already have my first tomato on the hydro plant in the kitchen lol i grow small bush ones , i use to have 2 aero gardens going but well they got old so wife got me a new led type and well it is a nice unit loads of lettuce but it is mainly for growing my medical herbs now , ie yarrow i got 4 nice plants already in the tunnel and lots of camomile for the wife to do in the lawn in spring and i am doing other herbs to and going to put in to 15" square pots , btw jen do you grow wild garlic at all if so and you want bulblets next year because mine are already up in the green so to speak i can let you have some come late autumn winter ok .
steptoe

Post by steptoe »

hey jen just fopr you lol
DSCF2608.JPG
DSCF2607.JPG
DSCF2606.JPG
DSCF2605.JPG
DSCF2604.JPG
DSCF2603.JPG
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Some impressive stuff there, especially the tomato. Looks like you COULD grow tomatoes almost year round. I don't have that much window space, nor really the space for a growing box. Seedlings will need to move around here like an assembly line. Did you ever see my modified raised bed/poly tent?
This time last year I was sowing my toms, but they were devastated by neglect. Most blew away in a gale after I left them out. Others got drowned. viewtopic.php?p=210273#p210273
Do you buy seed garlic? I did last year (stupid money), but had more luck with some shop bought bulbs. Bit of a lucky dip as to variety and viability. I Never tried wild garlic, but if mine prospers, there will be enough left in the ground that it will end up wild in as much as it will have to fend for itself :)

Medicinal herbs. Yeah. Yeah. Honest officer, it's just yarrow.

I still haven't broken ground on the lotment. Weather is too cold and wet and I'm still recovering from lurgey.

steptoe

Post by steptoe »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:24 pm Some impressive stuff there, especially the tomato. Looks like you COULD grow tomatoes almost year round. I don't have that much window space, nor really the space for a growing box. Seedlings will need to move around here like an assembly line. Did you ever see my modified raised bed/poly tent?
This time last year I was sowing my toms, but they were devastated by neglect. Most blew away in a gale after I left them out. Others got drowned. viewtopic.php?p=210273#p210273
Do you buy seed garlic? I did last year (stupid money), but had more luck with some shop bought bulbs. Bit of a lucky dip as to variety and viability. I Never tried wild garlic, but if mine prospers, there will be enough left in the ground that it will end up wild in as much as it will have to fend for itself :)

Medicinal herbs. Yeah. Yeah. Honest officer, it's just yarrow.

I still haven't broken ground on the lotment. Weather is too cold and wet and I'm still recovering from lurgey.
Hi jen now wild garlic are not like garlic lol they do taste garlic and well you can eat the leaves the root as well , you tend to leave them to grow flower and wait unti llate autumn to winter to dig a clump they are cigar shape singles , and as to the so called special garlic nopw i use shop brought now what i do is tyr and keep the larger ones for a direct sow and the little cloves get eaten but if they shoot they get thrown in pots and then the next year i just take and pop in the ground , i have a huge area of wild garlic now and chives and am trying to get them to grow under the trees to fill that space as we get a lot of horsetail down by the canal .

LOL no these days well the special herb i just can't grow it is not on the cards lol plus the electric on growing would kill me lol , i have found on occassion wild grows lol from what the ehrb world call gorilla growing lol , one patch i did leave a note saying they had made it to easy to spot clearing all the nettles lol .

I will try and garden tomorrow but health took a hit today and glands flared as i have a bad immune system from the damage to my brain the body fights infections that are not there and well ever gland swells and if you get me walking round is like john wayne just got off a horse lol .

I am going to do some more baking today , but for now i am sat thinking of doing some knife sharperning to test the lansky

PS yes the little hydro grow unit you see i can do 12 plants at a time but just messing round for now as i want to do all the medical herbs but threw in a couple of toms , on my old unit it had a 72 cell floating cell that i use to start plants that are hard to start , i also use indoor lights to get the wifes flowers going as we love marigold to plant with toms and in the raised beds to keep ants and white fly away
Rusty74

Post by Rusty74 »

had the farm foods vouchers in the post today and noticed they are doing tomato passata jars 680g for 29p so plan a little trip tomorrow to see if i can pick any up from the nearest one to us,might be worth checking in your local ones peps
Remember the rule of the 7 P's, proper planning and prepperation prevents piss poor performance...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Rusty74 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:00 pm had the farm foods vouchers in the post today and noticed they are doing tomato passata jars 680g for 29p so plan a little trip tomorrow to see if i can pick any up from the nearest one to us,might be worth checking in your local ones peps
Was there today. They had a good deal on Napolina Passata. I think it was 4 for £1. Didn;t see the jars.
Picked up a 2.1kg chicken for £3. They put 1.6kg to 2.4kg birds all in the same price, so root around the freezer.

Also popped into B&M. They have seed spuds at 3 packs for £5. Not bad, but they are very small packs of small tubers. Typically 9 small tubers per pack. B&M other seeds were stupid money even after the 3/2 deal.