Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
jennyjj01

Re: Value Range foods compared

Post by jennyjj01 »

Asda Just Essentials mushy peas 75p for three
Versus
Bachelor's Original mushy peas £1.45 for three

An interesting observation...
I was in Asda and saw these on the same shelf. So I compared the tins....
Hmmmm exactly the same font on the dot matrix labelling of bbe date and batch number. Same sentence structure to the coding. Same style of can.
That convinced me that these possibly came out of the same canning factory or maybe even the same production line.
Sometimes, from that and the reference intake and ingredients list we can tell that two products are identical.

But comparing the ingredients, the e number colouring was different. Also the ASDA percentage peas was 90% compared to 95%
Incidentally, both types of colouring are controversial and banned in some countries.

I usually eat the Batchelors product.

So. I bought both for a comparison.....

Noticeably not the same.
The Batchelors ones were brighter green, artificially so. The Asda ones were greyer and more like chip shop peas. I.e grey and malprocessed.

The Asda ones sat in the tin had a generous centimeter or more of watery pea juice. I discarded that.

About 10% less calories in the Asda ones and less carbs. Possibly down to sugar and water content

The Asda peas actually seemed larger.

Taste test.... Side by side, both my tasting panel could taste that they were different. But both of them agree that either are acceptable. The Asda ones were less sweet.
So. The value range is half the price but acceptable. I'll be stocking up on the value ones. .... 3 tins at a time, unless somewhere else comes up with a better vfm product..
Photos to follow.
Peas1.jpg
Peas1a.jpg
Peas2.jpg
Peas4.jpg
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

A recent visitor commented that the coffee I served her was nice and was shocked to hear it was lidl gold at less than £3 a jar. Tried the cheaper one which wasn't very nice.
Jenny's taste test is a good way to try and figure out what is worth it's money and what's not. I actually prefer tesco baked beans to heinz.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

izzy_mack wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:52 pm A recent visitor commented that the coffee I served her was nice and was shocked to hear it was lidl gold at less than £3 a jar. Tried the cheaper one which wasn't very nice.
Jenny's taste test is a good way to try and figure out what is worth it's money and what's not. I actually prefer tesco baked beans to heinz.
This one? https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/tea-coffee/bel ... offee/p333
£1.99 and less than half the price of my favourite Kenko smooth. If that's it, I'll give it a try.

Hubby used to swear by Heinz beans. I weaned him onto Branston without his knowledge. Gave him half an odd tin of Heinz recently and he noticed it wasn't as good.

Many of us stick to our favourite and familiar brand. But times and recipes change. Got to keep taste testing.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 pm This one? https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/tea-coffee/bel ... offee/p333
£1.99 and less than half the price of my favourite Kenko smooth. If that's it, I'll give it a try.
Yes but I think it's a bit dearer than that now but still worth a try.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

izzy_mack wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:00 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 pm This one? https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/tea-coffee/bel ... offee/p333
Yes but I think it's a bit dearer than that now but still worth a try.
Still £1.99 for 200g. Very cheap. half the price of cheapest kenko. How bad could it be.
They say it's part of their Everyday range. If I try it and like it it will be part of my "ten times a day" range. :D

Frnc

Post by Frnc »

Coffee. I like the powdered stuff. Nescafe Azera Intenso or Americano. But it's expensive. So this is what I'm doing. I buy 500g tins Americano on sub at Amazon for £18.70, that's £3.74/100g. I decant it into 6 x 100 tins saved from before. Then I use half that and half Aldi, which is about £2.40, not as nice, but OK 50%.
Having said all that, Sainsbury's currently have Intenso reduced to £3.20 for 90g, but you have to be quick as they often have none on the shelf as it's £2.30 off.
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:23 pm Asda Just Essentials mushy peas 75p for three
Versus

An interesting observation...
I was in Asda and saw these on the same shelf. So I compared the tins....
Hmmmm exactly the same font on the dot matrix labelling of bbe date and batch number. Same sentence structure to the coding. Same style of can.
That convinced me that these possibly came out of the same canning factory or maybe even the same production line.
Sometimes, from that and the reference intake and ingredients list we can tell that two products are identical.

But comparing the ingredients, the e number colouring was different. Also the ASDA percentage peas was 90% compared to 95%
Incidentally, both types of colouring are controversial and banned in some countries.

I usually eat the Batchelors product.

So. I bought both for a comparison.....

Noticeably not the same.
The Batchelors ones were brighter green, artificially so. The Asda ones were greyer and more like chip shop peas. I.e grey and malprocessed.

The Asda ones sat in the tin had a generous centimeter or more of watery pea juice. I discarded that.

About 10% less calories in the Asda ones and less carbs. Possibly down to sugar and water content

The Asda peas actually seemed larger.

Taste test.... Side by side, both my tasting panel could taste that they were different. But both of them agree that either are acceptable. The Asda ones were less sweet.
So. The value range is half the price but acceptable. I'll be stocking up on the value ones. .... 3 tins at a time, unless somewhere else comes up with a better vfm product..
Photos to follow.
Peas1.jpg
Peas1a.jpg
Peas2.jpg
Peas4.jpg
I buy aldi or Lidl mushy peas now 30p for 300g
Are the asda ones you speak of the same size cans.
These have increased in price loads over the last 5yrs since their high vegan protine content has been publicised.

Another interesting post
😊 thanks.
Fill er up jacko...
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Vitamin c wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:57 am
jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:23 pm Asda Just Essentials mushy peas 75p for three
Versus
I buy aldi or Lidl mushy peas now 30p for 300g
Lidl Mushy Peas ARE ( or were) from the same factory as Batchelors Mushy Peas, which in turn are made by Princes!
https://lidltasted.blogspot.com/2020/09 ... -peas.html
[/quote]
Added info.
Tonight, we gave Lidl's Freshona Mushy peas a try. I'm really sorry that I don't have the price to hand. [Edit 32p] But they were dearer than ASDA's essentials and cheaper than Batchelors.

The report:-
With the bright, almost neon greenness of batchelors. Obviously artificial colouring.
No puddle of water on the surface. Came out of the tin mostly as one lump, quite like batchelors.
Not as broken up/mushy as Batchelors, but more so than ASDA's
Peas were biggish ones, probably marrowfat. No unpleasant pea skins.
Taste and texture was good. Much better than ASDA's
Tasting panel did not notice the substitution and scoffed the lot.

I could tell they were not Batchelors, but it's subtle,
These will be a go-to substitute until I can find something better. Price is the missing ingredient to this review and will be a clincher. [Edit they're 32p per 300g tin]
Last edited by jennyjj01 on Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:52 am Still £1.99 for 200g. Very cheap. half the price of cheapest kenko. How bad could it be.
They say it's part of their Everyday range. If I try it and like it it will be part of my "ten times a day" range.
Just been shopping ( really depressing activity these days) and it's £2.35 in my Lidl. A lot of prices quoted are cheaper than I find locally - one of the drawbacks of living in the far north !
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

izzy_mack wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:18 pm
jennyjj01 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:52 am Still £1.99 for 200g. Very cheap. half the price of cheapest kenko. How bad could it be.
They say it's part of their Everyday range. If I try it and like it it will be part of my "ten times a day" range.
Just been shopping ( really depressing activity these days) and it's £2.35 in my Lidl. A lot of prices quoted are cheaper than I find locally - one of the drawbacks of living in the far north !
Odd. Shows as £1.99 online https://www.lidl.co.uk/p/tea-coffee/bel ... offee/p333
Maybe it's a price on the move.
18% in a day????

If not, to have different prices in different LIDL branches is remarkable in itself