What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

How are you preparing
Jerseyspud

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 9

Post by Jerseyspud »

Yeah this is the 6kg old bugger. He looks scary.

He's stupid.
Attachments
IMG_20220130_144342.jpg
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

He's lurvely! 🦁
Jerseyspud

Post by Jerseyspud »

He's massive and pure black. He's part main coon

He sits and stares at people. But he's a wimp

Apart from at the vets. He has a body count there 😂. Only if I'm not with him. If I'm with him he hides his head in my jumper
when it comes to catastrophic events, we never know when the day before is the day before. So we prepare for tomorrow

Prepping on a small island
Vitamin c

Post by Vitamin c »

I already have plenty of food preps but I'm going over the top now with long lasting food as the cash in my pocket will be worth a lot less in 2 years .
Fill er up jacko...
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

jansman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:02 pm Filled two petrol cans for the chainsaws today - before it hits £2 litre :lol:
Poses a question. Diesel by us is currently around £1.54 a litre with petrol slightly lower. I have a quantity of diesel stored that was purchased when it was around £1.25-30 ( seems a distant memory but not that long ago really) . As you mention there are estimates that it could hit £2 a litre.
Now the question is "when should I start using my stocks?" Do I use it now and save almost 30p a litre or do I wait longer and potentially save 50-80p and possibly last a bit longer if there are shortages or rationing?
I suppose that question can apply to almost any commodity from petrol to baked beans. My inclination is to hold off a little longer. The diesel hasn't gone off nor have my stocks of petrol so will last longer yet although at the moment it's a moot point as we don't have a vehicle on the road at the moment , one sorned , one with no mot and one awaiting a new timing belt...
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I've changed my mind about saving some money, just got another big Sainsbugs order instead.
jansman

Post by jansman »

grenfell wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:49 am
jansman wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:02 pm Filled two petrol cans for the chainsaws today - before it hits £2 litre :lol:
Poses a question. Diesel by us is currently around £1.54 a litre with petrol slightly lower. I have a quantity of diesel stored that was purchased when it was around £1.25-30 ( seems a distant memory but not that long ago really) . As you mention there are estimates that it could hit £2 a litre.
Now the question is "when should I start using my stocks?" Do I use it now and save almost 30p a litre or do I wait longer and potentially save 50-80p and possibly last a bit longer if there are shortages or rationing?
I suppose that question can apply to almost any commodity from petrol to baked beans. My inclination is to hold off a little longer. The diesel hasn't gone off nor have my stocks of petrol so will last longer yet although at the moment it's a moot point as we don't have a vehicle on the road at the moment , one sorned , one with no mot and one awaiting a new timing belt...
My brother is right out in the sticks.Diesel 1.75!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

There's over 10ppl difference between 2 garages 2 miles apart here ones a big chain another is a independent..... The independent is cheaper....

If the government stick to the red diesel changes in April it's going to decimate the building / manufacturing industry ...

Not only that those sites will have scrotes lining up at home time to get to the site bowsers

Even at home prices going up on everything will lead to a increase in theft / burgulary
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

Preps this week have been around medical and topping up some stocks.
A basic oximeter in case covid comes to call again.
A wrist blood pressure meter
An in ear digital thermometer and covers
Some more plasters.
Sorting out the OTC medicine drawer - moving the ibuprofen into a child safe tub from the foil wrap as it was taking up all the space.

We eat a lot of sunflower seeds and sunflower nut butter here so have just placed an order for 25Kg from GrapeTree. 2/3 of the world supply comes from Russia and Ukraine so i can see this helping us adjust to the idea that sunflower seed and oils may soon be unobtainium. Will top up our vegetable oil stocks as well. We dont use so much sunflower oil but if stocks of that are tight, everyone will switch to other options, making all of them hard to get.

I think I need to buy another big bag of buckwheat flour as this is another thing likely to be impacted and we use a lot of it since we cant eat wheat.
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Last edited by jennyjj01 on Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong