What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
jansman
Posts: 8780
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:26 pm

I shall brew my Christmas ale this weekend.Shooting Sunday morning,so hoping to bag pigeon and rabbit for the freezer,which will be a fair bet.The local shoot has had to shut because of lockdown rules ( I don't follow the logic of that),so I shall use the air rifle rather than shotgun,so as not to draw unwanted attention.The 'law' around shooting is rather grey around lone attendance, but it seems if it is for pest control ( which it is) it's ok.

We are allowed to fish however,so I am piking on the river next week,and a rifle will be in my bag ( I have shooting and fishing permission on that stretch), to nail any game and stray mink ( damned nuisance).The wood at the back is mainly oak and beech,so a foray in there will most likely yield parasol,blue legs and sulphur polypore mushrooms.Good subjects for the dehydrator.The blue legs especially ,are excellent in Pasta Fungi.

Hopefully,I can get home from work before dark tomorrow,so I can bang a load of firewood through the saw.All in all,life ticks along with the rythm of the seasons,regardless of outside influences.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
piglet
Posts: 254
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:49 pm
Location: Mu Mu Land

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by piglet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:59 am

jansman wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:26 pm
We are allowed to fish however,so I am piking on the river next week,and a rifle will be in my bag (
A while ago you likened yourself to Tom Good.
May I remind you of the episode where he went to play golf.
ain't settlin'

grenfell
Posts: 2865
Joined: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by grenfell » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:40 am

It being the time of the year that it is i have had a couple of jobs trimming trees which has given me more wood to fill the logstores with . It was hornbeam yesterday. Also at this time of year there are lots of leaves around and there has been a steady flow of bags of leaves coming home. I have trees surrounding my property and have lots of leaves of my own but then can you ever have too much leafmould. Disappointed this year with the chestnut trees near me , very little worth having.

jansman
Posts: 8780
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:10 pm

piglet wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:59 am
jansman wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:26 pm
We are allowed to fish however,so I am piking on the river next week,and a rifle will be in my bag (
A while ago you likened yourself to Tom Good.
May I remind you of the episode where he went to play golf.
Ha ha! :lol: a good series that!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

jansman
Posts: 8780
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 am

Usual Sunday chores today; clean the fowls,and the aviary.Make sure there is enough firewood for the week by the back door.Got a crafty day off in the week,so I shall straighten my veg garden and spread some compost.I dont do digging these days- I let the worms do it!
As it is raining today,I shall find an hour in the workshop to run some spare two by twos through the saw so I can knock up a new grid for my square-foot vegetable bed.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

User avatar
diamond lil
Posts: 7592
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:42 pm
Location: Scottish hills

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:03 pm

pseudonym wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm
A load of cubed lamb in the reduced aisle facilitated making a batch of stew for the freezer.
My god I wish I could get reduced lamb, I could eat it three times a day and never get bored of it. For a country that's full of sheep the meat doesnt half cost!
We had a horrible panic when we couldn't find the briefcase with the life ins/birth certs/ etc. Took us half a day to find it - in husband's knicker drawer :lol: So now it's staying there, at least we know where it is.

User avatar
pseudonym
Posts: 3569
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:11 am
Location: East Midlands

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by pseudonym » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:07 pm

diamond lil wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:03 pm
pseudonym wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:50 pm
A load of cubed lamb in the reduced aisle facilitated making a batch of stew for the freezer.
My god I wish I could get reduced lamb, I could eat it three times a day and never get bored of it. For a country that's full of sheep the meat doesnt half cost!
We had a horrible panic when we couldn't find the briefcase with the life ins/birth certs/ etc. Took us half a day to find it - in husband's knicker drawer :lol: So now it's staying there, at least we know where it is.
I don't think your hubby will be happy that you outed him wearing knickers... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah you're correct on the lamb prices Lil, hence I jumped on lot. Managed 7 meals out of it plus a "tester".

izzy_mack
Posts: 415
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by izzy_mack » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 am

Just come out of a power cut from 11pm yesterday till 10.30 this morning, good chance to test preps for such an eventuality. Unfortunately I was in bed and the wood burner was out so no kettle on top of hot water but I have a calor gas cooker from a caravan which was scrapped. It has 2 rings, a tiny grill and tiny oven but it does the job. Lit the wood burner again. don't usually light it till later in the day but with kettle on top at least I have hot water for washing etc. now that the power is on I'm recharging everything, including power pack that oh used to boost his phone before leaving. Have also filled flasks as from past experience one power cut is often followed by an another. didn't even need to break out the 2 cardboard boxes filled with candles! Which reminds me, I need to buy more wick! Used the "old type" phone I bought just a few months ago for just such an event for the first time, why are the cords so short!

User avatar
PreppingPingu
Posts: 835
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 pm
Location: Surrey/Hampshire

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by PreppingPingu » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 pm

Izzy_mack, you had a power cut, we had no water for half an hour. Ok so half an hour is nothing, however I had no idea how long we would be w/o water coming from the mains so I opened a 2 litre bottle from the stores. 1 Litre went in the kettle for 2 cuppas and some hot water to wash a few bits up so I could make the tea, and the other litre went to cook the pasta for said meal. (I didn't want to use up the hot water from the tank, just in case the lack of water lasted a long while.) So my preps this week have involved checking out bottled water situation.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)

jansman
Posts: 8780
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by jansman » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:14 pm

PreppingPingu wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:50 pm
Izzy_mack, you had a power cut, we had no water for half an hour. Ok so half an hour is nothing, however I had no idea how long we would be w/o water coming from the mains so I opened a 2 litre bottle from the stores. 1 Litre went in the kettle for 2 cuppas and some hot water to wash a few bits up so I could make the tea, and the other litre went to cook the pasta for said meal. (I didn't want to use up the hot water from the tank, just in case the lack of water lasted a long while.) So my preps this week have involved checking out bottled water situation.
Back in 1990 , as newlyweds, we lost power and water for 5 days. After that, we kept spare water, puritabs ( we boiled snow) etc etc. Mind you, people were also tougher and remembered the three day week.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.

Post Reply