What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 7.

Post by diamond lil »

I'm the same. I lusted after Le Creuset all my life and got some last year. After I got a rotator cuff tear and arthritis. :evil:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I bought a medium-sized Le Creuset pan a year ago, to put in my "hay" box - its way too heavy to use every day, arthritis being what it is, but it would work if there was a problem. I bought it at an old hippie's garden shop, it cost £15 :)
Aa_Logan

Post by Aa_Logan »

I’m the sort to have both Netherton and Le Creuset pans, and they’re very different.

Le Creuset is emailed cast iron, and as folk have said is think and heavy.

Netherton are spun cast iron, way way way lighter but need frequent reasoning and, more importantly, require more care- they can’t be washed in dishwashers, are better cleaned straight after cooking, but prone to warping I’d put in cold water when they’re too hot...
daylen

Post by daylen »

We've got a load of cast iron pans from IKEA. Really good value (last time we got a huge casserole dish and large skillet for around £40 in total). We've used them a lot and quality seems good.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Husband picked one in Ikea, frying pan. Got it home and I couldn't lift it off the worktop. Gave it to son.
Lemne

Post by Lemne »

I cook in cast iron as the norm but have one non stick frying pan and a big stainless stock pot. You get used to the weight and very quickly get used to the fact the handle is hot!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Lemne wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:08 pm I cook in cast iron as the norm but have one non stick frying pan and a big stainless stock pot. You get used to the weight ...
Not if you have arthritis in your fingers and/or hands, Lemne. It doesn't work that way.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

GillyBee wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm. I have saved seed for next year from the heritage toms and chillies. The spring seed shortages make this seem a very wise prep.
[Edited by me]

Some people are reporting a shortage or complete lack of seed potatoes available from their usual suppliers, anyone on here found the same?

Then I found this recent article;
https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/crop-manag ... y-rot-risk
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
GillyBee

Post by GillyBee »

We ended up buying Le Creuset pans 2 years ago because of arthritis. But it wasn't the cast iron we went for, it was the stainless steel pans. They are still pretty hefty but passed the pick up test as they were the only "good" brand to have a second mini handle opposite the main handle to allow two hands to be used to move the saucepan instead of one.
But I don't recommend the non-stick frying pan that came in the set. For the first 15 months it was amazing. The best non-stick pan ever. Then it decided to start losing patches of non-stick and now sticks like crazy. I queried with the shop and apparently it takes up to 18 months for overheating damage to show up. Back to the cheaper non-stick frying pans for me now and the ancient Le Creuset cast iron one we have had for 30 years for higher heat tasks (but not for the arthritis suffer who cant lift it)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:17 pm
GillyBee wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:04 pm. I have saved seed for next year from the heritage toms and chillies. The spring seed shortages make this seem a very wise prep.
[Edited by me]

Some people are reporting a shortage or complete lack of seed potatoes available from their usual suppliers, anyone on here found the same?

Then I found this recent article;
https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/crop-manag ... y-rot-risk
That is serious.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.