Coronavirus panic: Why are people buying just pasta?

Food, Nutrition and Agriculture
nightowl

Coronavirus panic: Why are people buying just pasta?

Post by nightowl »

I fully get that pasta is a good thing to stock up on long term but I don't get why people just seem to be buying pasta and not other dried products. The shelves at the supermarkets are cleared of pasta but every other type of dried food such as rice and noodles are still available. You'd think that those would go to but there's no sign of that. Thankfully I already had a decent stock of all of them.
Deeps

Re: Coronavirus panic: Why are people buying just pasta?

Post by Deeps »

I can only assume its because that's what everyone else was getting, same with the bogroll.
nightowl

Post by nightowl »

Odd too that the pasta's sold out but there's still loads of pasta sauce, tomatoes etc... all the sort of things you'd think people would be buying to go with it.
cbp125

Post by cbp125 »

I would suspect it is linked to a post on facebook or twitter etc, I'm glad to be off them both now, but they both have a nack for spreading panic
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I have too much rice if anyone wants to swap? :)
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:00 pm I have too much rice if anyone wants to swap? :)
I must admit, I'm not going to run out any time soon either. :D It can get a bit boring though, especially if you run out of other stuff to put in it.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:36 am I can only assume its because that's what everyone else was getting, same with the bogroll.
Reckon you're spot on there , herd or is that lemming mentality.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I might have been very immature earlier and proclaim loudly to a little old lady who was behind me who was shaking her head at the woman loading the conveyor with pasta in bulk ....

"I wouldn't be buying it... It's made in Italy where they have the Corona virus really bad"

with a wink, I got a little smirk... Woman at the till slowed down packing her trolley with a now very sullen face .......... :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Trojanhorse wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:00 pm I have too much rice if anyone wants to swap? :)
No such thing! I think I had about 50 kilos at my last count (about six months ago). Can't resist a 10kg bag of basmati for a tenner! I much prefer it to pasta.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:05 pm I might have been very immature earlier and proclaim loudly to a little old lady who was behind me who was shaking her head at the woman loading the conveyor with pasta in bulk ....

"I wouldn't be buying it... It's made in Italy where they have the Corona virus really bad"

with a wink, I got a little smirk... Woman at the till slowed down packing her trolley with a now very sullen face .......... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb