What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Read something good? Written something good? Link it, or copy it here!
Lone
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland

What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by Lone » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:24 pm

It occurred to me over time that for all preppers themselves will be well if not fully informed on all aspects of Survivalism, etc., but wondered if there was a sort of other reference library recommended for the wider scenario of long term preparation, as in various aspects of trying to lead a ‘normal’ life as much as possible in such a situation.

I was thinking of books on religion, law, education (especially in the case of a group’s children), etc.

Depending on the emergency/disasters faced that demands more attention to the actual living through than learning, what sort of other library would be recommended ?

I don’t know if this is a common question or even given much thought, this learning perhaps including the way to structure a new isolated community, if the disaster was worldwide, but governments, etc., out of reach, or even impossible to rejoin due to dangers faced, etc.

Survival/prepping books are the pre-disaster preparedness that are a given, but what books then...I’ve puzzled over it for ages, thinking you must have a type of leadership, law and so forth

jansman
Posts: 7807
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by jansman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:53 pm

You have already answered your own question.Books contain the accumulated knowledge of mankind.We ain't always had the internet! Want to know ANYTHING?.Go to the library...and yes,I still use mine. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

ForgeCorvus
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:19 pm

I remember having a quite heated discussion a while back on a forum with a guy who insisted that teaching kids anything other then practical skills would be a waste of their time in a long term Event.

My view was (and still is) that should it get to that point, kids who can read and write (as well as basic maths) would be more of an asset not (as he said) a drain on resources..... I will admit that he seemed to think that 'schooling' would only be along the lines of 6 to 8 hours daily of learning a full curriculum, where as I was thinking more about the three R's taught evenings, wet days and over winter when there would be no gardening, farming or other labour intensive activities going on.

If you can read, you can learn anything theres a book about (given time). So a good wide ranging library is just as important as five tons of wheat in mylar and buckets.

I have a fondness for things like schools workshop books from the 30's through to the 50's, you can pick them up for pennies if you keep your eyes open.

I have a dim view of most organised religion, however I will admit that the Judeo/Christian (I know very little about Islam) Ten Commandments (or at least numbers 4 to 10) are a good start to any civilised society .
Some people find comfort and strength in their 'holy book', the problem is that others use the same texts as a weapon and an excuse.
Last edited by ForgeCorvus on Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

ForgeCorvus
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:20 pm

double post
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

jansman
Posts: 7807
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by jansman » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:37 pm

ForgeCorvus wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:19 pm
I remember having a quite heated discussion a while back on a forum with a guy who insisted that teaching kids anything other then practical skills would be a waste of their time in a long term Event.

My view was (and still is) that should it get to that point, kids who can read and write (as well as basic maths) would be more of an asset not (as he said) a drain on resources..... I will admit that he seemed to think that 'schooling' would only be along the lines of 6 to 8 hours daily of learning a full curriculum, where as I was thinking more about the three R's taught evenings, wet days and over winter when there would be no gardening, farming or other labour intensive activities going on.

If you can read, you can learn anything theres a book about (given time). So a good wide ranging library is just as important as five tons of wheat in mylar and buckets.

I have a fondness for things like schools workshop books from the 30's through to the 50's, you can pick them up for pennies if you keep your eyes open.

I have a dim view of most organised religion, however I will admit that the Judeo/Christian (I know very little about Islam) Ten Commandments (or at least numbers 4 to 10) are a good start to any civilised society .
Some people find comfort and strength in their 'holy book', the problem is that others use the same texts as a weapon and an excuse.
I agree with all of that ForgeCorvus.I have always thought that the ten commandments is a pretty good way to conduct oneself.My wife is a teacher,and she maintains exactly what you do: that if you can read,you can learn anything.Sadly though,she says that more children than ever have no access to physical books.The age group is primary school.She says that on more than one occasion,a five year old child has picked up a book and tried to ' swipe' the picture on the cover as if it were a computer tablet!!! Can you believe that? Her colleagues have told me the same. I love books.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Arzosah
Posts: 4301
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by Arzosah » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm

Me three, ForgeCorvus and jansman :) except I have a dim view of *all* organised religion ... I mostly keep that very quiet, though.

Schooling in the kind of apoca-times is an interesting thought. Both now and then, it has to be about two main things: helping a child grow into a rounded human being (along with other influences, of course) and helping them to become independent - whatever that entails in that society. It's always going to be the three Rs. And it *should* be something that, in my schooling, was only hinted at A levels and only made plain in college - that learning isn't just about learning facts, its learning how to appreciate and understand what you hear, assessing it - and responding appropriately.
My blog (all mended now) www.preparednessfactandfiction.co.uk
There are some Amazon affiliate links in this blog

User avatar
Deeps
Posts: 5795
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by Deeps » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:15 pm

Given that we're talking post apocalypse, I'd be teaching my grand kids to read and count. Sooner or later some bright spark will bring back writing and I'd want my lot to know where they're putting their X.

ForgeCorvus
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by ForgeCorvus » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Arzosah wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm
Me three, ForgeCorvus and jansman :) except I have a dim view of *all* organised religion ... I mostly keep that very quiet, though.

Schooling in the kind of apoca-times is an interesting thought. Both now and then, it has to be about two main things: helping a child grow into a rounded human being (along with other influences, of course) and helping them to become independent - whatever that entails in that society. It's always going to be the three Rs. And it *should* be something that, in my schooling, was only hinted at A levels and only made plain in college - that learning isn't just about learning facts, its learning how to appreciate and understand what you hear, assessing it - and responding appropriately.
I know a couple of only just Seventeens, they spent their last year of schooling doing endless mock exams (at least 6 lots) with pure revision filling the time between.... Basically a whole year learning nothing new except how to take a test.
While they know a load of facts they don't know how to use them.
They've probably learnt more about how to be a good human since they left secondary education.
League Tables have a lot to answer for
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

jansman
Posts: 7807
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by jansman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:26 am

Sadly ( and my wife will agree) the system is set up simply to pass tests and tick government boxes.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Lone
Posts: 106
Joined: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:30 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: What Other Books Not Survivalism Related ?

Post by Lone » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:47 am

I have many law books in my collection, also trying to learn morse code, basic sign language (finger-spelling) and other areas of interest.

Nothing major, maybe even not necessary, but you never know what situations will be in the future, so even basic learning as an adult on numerous ‘skills’ outside of Survivalism, could be built on as the events dictate...things possibly having to start mostly from scratch again, but in a different world.

Post Reply