Fire lighting.

Kit, Clothing, Tools, etc
hedgerowpete

Re: Fire lighting.

Post by hedgerowpete »

its one of my greatest weaknesses, once i gave up smoking the huge amount of lighters i had spread every where disappeared, its now a physical effort to remember them in kit
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

hedgerowpete wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:05 am its one of my greatest weaknesses, once i gave up smoking the huge amount of lighters i had spread every where disappeared, its now a physical effort to remember them in kit
Don't know if something like this would be of any use to you mate.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/True-Utility-F ... ut+lighter

I keep one on my keyring, I try and put a proper lighter in my pocket when I head out too.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Nurseandy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:24 am Now, this may get light heartedly controversial but its something I've always wondered about - why bother taking Maya dust, tinder, magnesium rods etc etc when if you're going prepared why not just take a box of firelighters?
Well some already do , or something very much like , and to borrow a paraphrased line "love the smell of hexi in the mornings".
As to the answer to your reckon there's a couple of answers. Pertaining to the smell some don't like that aspect it's true , others will cite the availability in the long term , or the keeping alive of old skills all of which do have a validly
But I tend to think a portion of it is down to oneupmanship , being able to do something te hard way so to speak. Why do some start fires by rubbing sticks together ,why do some climb mountains , or BASE jump or swim the channel ? Because they can and the majority either don't or 'can't or won't.
Personally I have lighter , matches and ferry rods but most of the time it's the former getting used.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit of a 'Bushie' but I've never yet managed Fire From Friction (3F if you want yet another acronym ;) ), a clipper lighter is part of my EDC and if I'm camping or WHY I normally pack a spare (and a back-up spare....... and a spare back-up spare :oops: ).
Thing is, a lot of bushcraft is about using 'Primitive' techniques. Not because they're 'better' (because quite often they are not) but because you can.
I have seen several bushcrafter's gear-lists that include stuff like mini gas torches, firelighters or road flares for the times when you must have a fire right now.

What we're about is different.

For me its:
Lighters for general burney-stuff
Matches for alcohol stoves and oil lamps (because its easier to poke a burning stick downwards and you don't cremate your fingers)
Flint&Steel at re-enactments (its all part of the show)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
TLB

Post by TLB »

When I need to light a fire I look at what I'm trying to achieve before deciding what I use.

When teaching fire lighting, it's always a flint and steel. If you teach someone the physics then show them the various means it has more effect.

If I'm just after a fire then yes, I have lighters. I carry a pea lighter on my house keys and a micro pea lighter (2cm in length) on my car keys. In my pocket I have a thin turbo jet lighter and in my bag I have a normal lighter with a torch. Too many? You never know...

Do I see value in being able to light fires in all conditions and using a number of methods? Yes I do. I remember an episode of a Ray Mears series (can't remember whihc one) but he was with an indegenous tribe in a jungle. He asked them to teach him how they traditionally light a fire in the jungle. After many attempts, they admitted they didn't really know how as they more often than not use lighters that they traded from the local village. Ray then taught them how to light fires through friction. I guess it's one of those things, if you learn a skill you need to not only practice it but to pass that knowledge on. If you don't, who will?
DustyDog

Post by DustyDog »

I have a Swedish fire steel on my keychain and 9/10 of the time I’m carrying a zippo and always have a can of lighter fuel for it in my rucksack, of course while I’m reading this thread my zippo is at home...
Up in the wet South Lakeland
jansman

Post by jansman »

I like Zippo lighters, I really do. Trouble is, they have to be ‘managed’ all the time, ‘ cos all of a sudden the fuel has dried up ( about 5 days). That’s why I like the ‘10 for a pound ‘ disposable jobs. I am using throwaways I bought 11 years ago.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm I like Zippo lighters, I really do. Trouble is, they have to be ‘managed’ all the time, ‘ cos all of a sudden the fuel has dried up ( about 5 days). That’s why I like the ‘10 for a pound ‘ disposable jobs. I am using throwaways I bought 11 years ago.
The small round Clippers are good too, last for ages and can be refilled. The cheapy shops do them for 2 a quid, keep one in my mess set, fire kit.... a few spares kept too of course.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Deeps wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 pm
jansman wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm I like Zippo lighters, I really do. Trouble is, they have to be ‘managed’ all the time, ‘ cos all of a sudden the fuel has dried up ( about 5 days). That’s why I like the ‘10 for a pound ‘ disposable jobs. I am using throwaways I bought 11 years ago.
The small round Clippers are good too, last for ages and can be refilled. The cheapy shops do them for 2 a quid, keep one in my mess set, fire kit.... a few spares kept too of course.
You can also replace the 'flint' in Clippers so they last until you lose them.... This is why I buy the blaze orange ones
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

Most survivalist books etc say take 3 of everything but the reality is you cant because of weight and space etc

Fire lighting is the one thing I take 3 off though as you can - lighter, striker and matches for me.

I take the Dragon fire lighters - very good!