Septic tanks.

Homes and Retreats
Nurseandy

Septic tanks.

Post by Nurseandy »

Not actually prepping as such but hoping someone will have some experience of this and be able to advise - we live in an old house with a septic tank, sadly the soakaway/drain field/leach field is very very soggy. I believe this means that a "biomat" has built up around the soakaway pipes and restricting drainage?
My question is - has anyone tried the drain field restorer liquids? And if so did it work or am I going to have to dig the field up?
We're taking extensive measures to reduce water usage (have 3 teenagers in the house though :roll: ).
Tank was emptied last summer.
Yorkshire Andy

Re: Septic tanks.

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

At work we resorted to a JCB and sivved the gravel. ..
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

That is my horrible premonition of the future.........
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

The gaffer tried sh1t munching bacteria pods the lot

In the end he had it pumped out in the middle of summer....(dryer the better but you can't help it)

Dug a deep hole about 5m away and put a submersible pump it it to lower the water table and got digging...

Was some fantastic tomato plants growing in the drainage field last summer :tinfoil
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Thanks Yorkshireandy. I've also ordered some additive that is meant to rejuvenate the drain field but I dont really have much hope for it.
I suspect I shall be doing the same as your boss & digging it all up. Thankfully there's a lot of farmers around with machinery so hopefully won't be too ruinously expensive!
hedgerowpete

Post by hedgerowpete »

could it be jetted down the pipe work to reopen the clogged gaps or perferations or do you think it is the gravel thats blocked
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I dont know the topography and situation but a reed bed / filtration pond might be a way forward if you have to undertake major works? Lots of different types and options available, especially if its located downstream / after the septic tank. But local bylaws and NIMBY attitudes to contend with as well. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbyppiYV7U
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

hedgerowpete wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:56 pm could it be jetted down the pipe work to reopen the clogged gaps or perferations or do you think it is the gravel thats blocked
I like that idea but sadly no way to access the outlet pipe (its too far down inside the tank & on the inner upper surface of the "onion")
Nurseandy

Post by Nurseandy »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 pm I dont know the topography and situation but a reed bed / filtration pond might be a way forward if you have to undertake major works? Lots of different types and options available, especially if its located downstream / after the septic tank. But local bylaws and NIMBY attitudes to contend with as well. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbyppiYV7U
Again, I'm liking that idea. Also, again sadly, the tank & drain field is in the neighbouring field which the forestry commission now owns and are planning to plant with trees. The fc aren't renowned for not being open to "off piste" suggestions.
I'll disclose this here in the anonymity of the group but I'm secretly hoping they drive a huge tracked excavator over it so that they then have to fix it! :lol: :lol: :lol: