Woodland use

How are you preparing
Beatts

Re: Woodland use

Post by Beatts »

Hi,

Yes there are a few deer knocking about apparently.

Not sure about shooting rights though, however the wood next to this one I noticed had shotgun shells lying on the floor around the entrance.

I don't have a fire arms license anyhow.
munchh

Post by munchh »

But anyone can have an air rifle and you still need shooting rights to shoot bunnies with one of them.
AREA 3
I'm not antisocial, just anti idiot.
If you use the phase "man up" you have alot to learn.
"Wise men speak because they have something to say, fools, because they have to say something" Plato.
Beatts

Post by Beatts »

I've no idea then.

I'm not planning on shooting anything other than targets tbh unless it all goes belly up
gunner7

Post by gunner7 »

Personally I would fell a few trees now and leave them to season. That way I would have some dead wood around for fires if I needed it at short notice.
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

My kidney is for sale! Good luck with this and please share what you do.
Beatts

Post by Beatts »

Hi,

Upon closer inspection the woodland is approx 60% Beech and the rest Pine with a few sycamores and possibly one or two other varieties of tree.

Beech is a great firewood I'm led to believe so I will be chopping a few trees down and seasoning a supply of firewood for next winter.

I really want to plant some edible stuff in there but the info is hard to come by. There are some good areas which will get plenty of Sun.

Would potatoes and other veg grow successfully? I imagine pest control might be tricky.

Also some berry trees/ bushes.

I have been just chilling in there at the moment, practicing with my air rifle and crossbow, also fire making, collecting firewood etc. I am going to start building a bit of a shelter in the coming weeks. It's all good fun :)
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Silver birch grows (relatively) quickly and burns pretty much wet or dry, I would be tempted to replace some of the pine with them.
I'm still jealous, can't you tell us it's a former dumping ground for radioactive waste or something to make everybody feel better :lol:

The deer you mentioned will make veg growing tricky unless you put an 8' fence around the garden bit, what about fruit trees as well
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Beech is a good structural wood too, so consider converting some of it to planks rather than burning it. You can buy simple chainsaw mills to plank your wood, or if you are a practical type you can make your own. I made one from a large aluminium ladder and some bolt-together aluminium extrusion. It worked very well, you need to fit a ripping blade to your chainsaw as the normal type clog when cutting with the grain.

A shed build from 1" beech planks will be very strong indeed.