ice cards and emergency information

Medical and Healthcare
Rob B

ice cards and emergency information

Post by Rob B »

as a general question to all medics ambulance service personnel or anyone interested, my edc is set up im upgrading my bob and bil however I have general medical conditions that are not life threatening however I believe it would help if I had an ice card with all details on it also I've just paid to get my blood grouping done and found out something I never knew to get free blood grouping according to my doctor all you have to do is give blood and you'll be informed free of charge your blood group type as I've never been in the armed forces I've never had my typing done this came as a surprise to me but back to the question are ice cards a good idea ? I've an app on my phone for medics attention in case of collapse or serious injury but would an ice card be better? many thanks ? ps why are you never blood typed from birth and why is it not on your nhs record - doctor charged me nearly£40.00 for the privilege of knowing my own blood group when taking my blood for other blood tests ! many thanks to all rob
DarkAngel

Re: ice cards and emergency information

Post by DarkAngel »

I'm a biker so I carry two ICE crash cards, one inside my helmet under the lining, I also have a green dot on the side of my helmet to let the medics know there is a crash card inside. I also carry one in the pocket of my hi viz vest. Having two will help identify that my head should go on the correct body if I'm ever in a proper messed up smash. :D

It is advisable to have ICE info stored in your phone but most people lock their phones rending that information inaccessible to medics. Maybe put it in a noticeable place in your wallet, like the photo window?

I found out my blood type through giving blood too. I'm O pos, though my parents already knew my blood type but I had never had surgery or anything. I thought you did get tested at birth and that's how they knew? I might be wrong!

Your ICE card should have your name, contact details for next of kin or nominated emergency contact and a list of any allergies, medical issues and medications you are taking.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

When I treat a collapsed patient I don't spend time looking at their phone so the app is pretty worthless. There are times when I might look in a wallet, but usually let the police do that while I'm working. Ice cards are ok but honestly I very rarely see them or go looking for them. If you had it in your EDC chances are it would never be seen.
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Lanky Yankee wrote:When I treat a collapsed patient I don't spend time looking at their phone so the app is pretty worthless. There are times when I might look in a wallet, but usually let the police do that while I'm working. Ice cards are ok but honestly I very rarely see them or go looking for them. If you had it in your EDC chances are it would never be seen.
I second that and the only time it may be seen is if you are concious and get it out to show the crew.

With regards to blood groups, if you ever needed blood in an emergency you would receive the' universal' blood group O until they took blood to get your group type. So if you say i am A negative (unlikely you will be talking if your getting blood) they would say thats nice and check it anyway as the consequence of wrong blood is ultimately death
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

The was I read somewhere about having your details (ice , medical conditions) on the lock picture of your phone as now a lot of people lock there phones meaning there ice details cannot be accessed.

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.
Lanky Yankee

Post by Lanky Yankee »

poppypiesdad wrote:The was I read somewhere about having your details (ice , medical conditions) on the lock picture of your phone as now a lot of people lock there phones meaning there ice details cannot be accessed.

J
Opsec mate. Do you really want your details out there like that if someone steals your phone. If you have a medical condition that really needs to be known to Paramedics use a medical tag necklace ot bracelet. Thats about the only thing we will notice. Paramedic prepper was correct. The only time we see an ICE card is when the conscious patient gives it to us.

Oh yeah motorcyclist have the crash card and I have looked for those in the past. A very handy thing to have when you come off your bike and your legs are pointing up to your ears.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

thanks for all your views ive already looked into the tags both ebay,amazon do tags with your info on them im just generally getting a view on them I appreciate that your blood type is maybe not that important as you would get o blood type for a transfusion the app is on the phone and yes it is locked i just downloaded it and set it up as a precaution as to what I was going to use ie app,ice card or tags I appreciate all your views on it the app can be wiped if I choose I m just putting the thought out there many thanks
ParamedicPrepper

Post by ParamedicPrepper »

Rob B wrote:thanks for all your views ive already looked into the tags both ebay,amazon do tags with your info on them im just generally getting a view on them I appreciate that your blood type is maybe not that important as you would get o blood type for a transfusion the app is on the phone and yes it is locked i just downloaded it and set it up as a precaution as to what I was going to use ie app,ice card or tags I appreciate all your views on it the app can be wiped if I choose I m just putting the thought out there many thanks
Not batting the idea down in what I said as ideally everyone would carry one and make our life easy but because so few people do we don't tend to check for it. Also if your unconscious we have other things to worry about such as ABC and why the hell are you unconscious to start with looking for things we could correct.
Rob B

Post by Rob B »

paramedic prepper,
I appreciate what you said and I get the thought that many people don't carry one im just the sort of guy that dosent like to be unprepared the blood grouping thing had just been bugging me for a long time and id thought id try and resolve the issue I don't like leaving things disorganised the app is just a thought its not visible and I wasnt sure id like the idea of it being on the phone so again its just a thought I appreciate all medics out there have got more worries than looking for an ice card like keeping me alive god forbid I have an accident !
poppypiesdad

Post by poppypiesdad »

Lanky Yankee wrote:
poppypiesdad wrote:The was I read somewhere about having your details (ice , medical conditions) on the lock picture of your phone as now a lot of people lock there phones meaning there ice details cannot be accessed.

J
Opsec mate. Do you really want your details out there like that if someone steals your phone. If you have a medical condition that really needs to be known to Paramedics use a medical tag necklace ot bracelet. Thats about the only thing we will notice. Paramedic prepper was correct. The only time we see an ICE card is when the conscious patient gives it to us.

Oh yeah motorcyclist have the crash card and I have looked for those in the past. A very handy thing to have when you come off your bike and your legs are pointing up to your ears.
Op Sec , really OMG it not really all your details FFS , a contact name number and allergies . Isn't giving your address , bank details , pin number , 16 digit card number and the wee three digit on the back , inside leg measurement and ni number ......... back to reality

J
Be Prepared.
Plan like its the last loaf on the shop shelves.
Plan like its the last beer in the fridge.