Hi I am Gina from Doncaster

New Members - Introduce yourself, and say a few words
nickdutch

Re: Hi I am Gina from Doncaster

Post by nickdutch »

Welcome :)

Let us know how you do your stuff so that we can all learn :)
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
GinaCampbell

Post by GinaCampbell »

I am curious about what other people prep for. I suppose just about every reason to prep might be considered someone elses conspiracy theory. Personally, I should have been born pre electricity as I prefer to be self sufficient. Anyway, I apologise for any offence caused.

Gina
GinaCampbell

Post by GinaCampbell »

Gosh, I am an absolute amature but certainly willing to share. My reasons for prepping might fall under the conspiracy umbrella so I will be deliberately vague. Some months ago I decided that it was imperative to start prepping now. If I had the money, I would buy land but I don't and I was super frustrated. I have no space, am disabled and am on limited funds.

So while I was in Poundland, I saw one man tent shelters (£1)and space blankets (2 for a £1). So every week doing the cheap shops (Poundland, Netto, Aldi etc), I would buy these items and any other cheap camping and medical gear they had. I started researching other cheap gear (matches, batteries, ponchos) on Amazon and ebay. All under £2 where possible, fishing kits, water purifying tablets, collapsible 5 ltr water carriers etc. I have quite alot of medicines, first aid kits, but I then bought dental tools (full set prof with case £2.40) and added emergency fillings etc.

I am trying to provide for myself, anything or service I might need money for.

Asda do a great line in cheap peanut butter, instant mash, noodles, and of course, 2 ltrs of water for .17 pence.

I am now collecting up more expensive things. This week I bought a fab camping potty and added a cheap pop up tent for it to go in. Or to use if I bug in.

With very little effort, I feel better equipped should I have no electric and no money.

The biggest expense would be a bicycle and one of those pull along kids attachments to haul water from the canal to my house.

And that is my weakness, moving around solo.

I am exploring buying a weapon but need much advise first.

Anyway, that's what I am doing. I also buy puzzles in poundland for the no telly years and I have now gathered loads of wool to crochet with, books to read and candles for light.

I am thinking about things people will need but can't buy, such as dummies for babies. Powdered milk, powdered eggs. Cheap to buy now but priceless when production stops.

Not sure that helps.

Gina
Hamradioop

Post by Hamradioop »

GinaCampbell wrote:I am curious about what other people prep for. I suppose just about every reason to prep might be considered someone elses conspiracy theory. Personally, I should have been born pre electricity as I prefer to be self sufficient. Anyway, I apologise for any offence caused.

Hi Gina, no offence was caused and I hope none taken.

A word of caution on pound shops some of the stuff is complete and utter tat and some is good value for the money, just be aware of that, I suspect I am preaching to the converted on this though. Another place to look is B&M who have some excellent priced items of food and camping equipment.

a Couple of places to start on this form are here:- viewtopic.php?f=9&t=817 and another here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=11766 and this site you take from it what you can use. We don't discuss weapons for Self defence as this is a very sticky area of the Law thanks to our semi literate politicians and the Civil Service.

I hope you find what you are looking for here to Guide your journey.
Thank you for your service.
regards
Kev
“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.” ― Edward R. Murrow
"Remember Politicians are like babies diapers they both need changing often for the very same reason" - Mark Twain
If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal.
GinaCampbell

Post by GinaCampbell »

Thanks Kev. Yes, B & M is my preferred gardening supplier, lol. I realise that a one man tent from Poundland might only get me a brief reprieve but a girl loves a bargain! The best buy does have to be the first aid kit for a pound. The burn gel alone was worth that, it's in my car.!
Happy-jack

Post by Happy-jack »

Hi Gina i'm new on here also .. not new to prepping
just reading your threads i would not recommend any water from the canal most of them are quite polluted go for running water rivers/steams and invest in a water purifier and puri tablets sold in Boots for a few quid.
GinaCampbell

Post by GinaCampbell »

Thanks for that. I do have water purifiers and filters. Nowhere near enough though. I have no other local water source within legpower. Nor do I have a bugout plan hardened. I know where but how is dependent upon the SHTF event. I have planned to bugin initially and I can survive 6 months if there is no home invasion. I also have several places within the home where food etc is stashed. And an obvious hoard that hopefully home invaders would simply loot and leave.
valderee

Post by valderee »

Hi Gina, a warm welcome from me too, sorry its a bit late, but with the glorious weather weve been having the last few weeks the less I spend on the laptop. You sound has though you've got a good plan too. I haven't been prepping long myself and like you will look for bargains, but watch out too for any thing I think looks flimsy, im sure you have too. Enjoy the forum, kind regards from a Yorkshire lass too. :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

GinaCampbell wrote:Thanks for that. I do have water purifiers and filters. Nowhere near enough though. I have no other local water source within legpower. Nor do I have a bugout plan hardened. I know where but how is dependent upon the SHTF event. I have planned to bugin initially and I can survive 6 months if there is no home invasion. I also have several places within the home where food etc is stashed. And an obvious hoard that hopefully home invaders would simply loot and leave.
if you live in a house and can tap into a roof down pipe (not one that the bathroom drains via)

http://www.diy.com/departments/ward-wat ... 471_BQ.prd

http://www.diy.com/departments/sankey-r ... 691_BQ.prd

theses a potential 210l on tap without having to get to the Aire and calder or the Don... obvious issues with bird crap and the like but not Narrow boat owners empting the portakazzis when no ones looking or the odd upside down floating sheep

drain it out before heavy rain is forecast and let it refill to keep reasonably fresh

was using this on the North yorkshire moors last weekend for some gorgeous if a bit brown due to the peat spring water :mrgreen:
http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/bushcraft/PA104.html

I'd look to start prepping around the most common things that can happen (house fires and the like as well as flooding)

As for the £1 tents dont bother one gust of wind and the mylar shreads ;) be better with a army surplus tarp and a bivvie bag IMO
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine