Garage Door Security Tip

Homes and Retreats
dazthechippy

Garage Door Security Tip

Post by dazthechippy »

Folks, not sure if this ones been posted before, sorry if it has...

Good idea on how to boost the security of a standard up n over garage door.

Simply attach a G Clamp (make sure its wound down hard) to the up n over runner channel IMMEDIATELY behind the wheel that sits there and moves along the channel when the door opens. I have one on each side, both clamps were bought from a garage sale for a couple of quid...

No need for a new lock as even if the lock is forced the door just wont move..

Only thing is you do need is access to get into the garage from another point as you cant open the door from the outside ! (oh and make sure there's a good lock on that door too).

Useful if you have preps, tools or stuff you want to hang onto in the garage..
preppingsu

Re: Garage Door Security Tip

Post by preppingsu »

We just added bolts and padlocks. The bolts go into a brick wall on either side of the door.

On the door we don't use we put the bolt into the concrete ground outside. Works a treat.

The wooden side door is permantantly boarded up on the inside.

We learnt our lesson the hard way, losing thousands of pounds worth of mountain bikes and fishing gear.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

You need to use bolts on the bottom at each side (as well) otherwise the door will simply be peeled up. Ditto using an anti ram post in the centre, the door can simply be folded enough to allow entry.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
triffid

Post by triffid »

If you have one of those Garadoor type up-and over garage door with internal access & a locking handle you can disconnect the wire to the central handle so that the door can only be opened from inside. (ie don't use the locking mechanism). Why would you do this? Well, there are only a limited number of key variations to garage door locks and these don't usually comply with the British Standard for door locks. And although you might have changed the front door lock when you bought your house did you change the garage door lock as well? No, bet you didn't - the previous occupants could have been pretty lapse with their key security.

Oh and I agree with Prepingsu - fit internal door bolts - again assuming you have internal access. And a rape alarm viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7392
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Can remember my dad drilling the track and installing a bolt and wing but to the tracks in place of the g clamps....
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
FEISTY

Post by FEISTY »

We have a double garage with a single huge electric door, except we still haven't gotten around to fixing it. Once the bolts are unlocked you can use the remote or the switch just inside the metal back door to the garage. We've added security bolts into the brick "walls" (which is actually just the frontage, since most of the garage is asbestos panels with a corrugated asbestos roof, the walls are roughcast on the outside). There's also a small window to the side opposite our "back" door. There is a security light on the window side too. I'm sure the security could be improved upon though, especially as a lot of preps are now in there, but it's not going to be a casual thief who gets in - they'd have to be a bit more determined. If they want in, they'll get in somehow, probably by jemmying the metal door since it can't be seen from the road which is a wee bit away anyway. That does worry me more.
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Feisty you could improve the security more by putting in locking points for high-value items INSIDE the garage, so that even if they do gain access, the bikes, toolboxes, Aston Martin DB5 etc. are visibly locked up and locked to something.

I lost a very nice mountain bike once to a garage thief. Had I locked it to the shelving in the garage I'd still have it.